[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great News for Vikings Fans

Hugh 0ne

Hard to understand the criticism at this point. Maybe I don't get all the juicy details that locals get, but the guy made what was, at the time, the unpopular decision to continue to dance with Favre thru the summer, when eeryone was saying "screw Favre and his flip-flopping"...he continued, knowing it would be the best thing for the team, and he was right.

Imagine how he'd be revered if they actually had a decent QB the last couple years...they'd now have been a bonafide NFC contender for each of those seasons. And as a head coach, and not the GM, he wasn't the one pulling all the strings on getting a solid Qb into MIN. he played the hand he was dealt the last couple years.

Fortunately for Vikings fans, he realized this offseason that if he could persuade favre to un-retire, this would be one of the few times he could actually have an impact on who is QB would be.

All head coaches have bad things that go along with the good. Childress's learning curve as a HC came in MIN, just as it did for other 1st time coaches. he made mistakes hisfirst couple years, he's learned, grown, and now is leading what has to be described as one of the best team's in football, with a QB he had everything to do with bringing in.

Gotta give the guy kudos where they are due, no?

No offense, but you're pretty far off here. The Viking's struggles at QB have been 100% on Chilly.

I agree.

And keep in mind that the reason they didn't have a decent QB the last couple of years is that Chili was hell-bent on showing the world he was right about his decision to draft Tarvaris as our QB of the future.

And the rumors I've heard on the radio from Paul Allen regarding the former Packer/Jet QB coming to MN was due more to the conversations said QB had with Longwell trying to persuade him than anything. If that's true, well then Chili just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

He has assembled a tremendous amount of talent for which I will give him some credit. If he can't win a playoff game with these guys then this season will be an ultimate failure.

This

So a coach has tons of talent on his team for 4 years (the reason he had no QB talent was his own fault), is barely over .500, has made tremendous amounts of bad calls and bad judgements, but since his 6-0 after beating nobody they should extend his contract after 6 weeks? Lol, most of you guys that are supporting him have no clue about the big picture and are basing it on 6 unimpressive wins this season.

And this

Couldnt have said it better myself, Hugh

I personally think some of the criticism is lacking in value, but I would agree about his stubbornness regarding Jackson. What has impressed me the most this season is that the team has completely addressed the issues that have been their problem in past years, and that has to at least be partly due to Childress. Penalties are down, they got a good QB and a good offensive lineman, and impact player in the draft, and the only player issue I can see with Childress is Jackson. He realized his faith in Jackson was unfounded, and they went out and signed Rosenfels. And I think from most everything I've seen, he is the main reason Favre is here, which has been big, as we all know.

Look at the 3rd quarter performances this season, which in LARGE part have to be because of Childress and his staff. Adjustments at the half are incredibly more effective this season, and that is the head coaches job, at least in part. He's made good decisions in many areas of his coaching experience, and has made some head scratchers. But all in all, he's been successful, or at least his team has been. Hopefully it won't be a big extension, because the mix they have now could be solid for a while, and I see no reason to change whats been working better and better every year he's been here.

Now if they sign him to a long term big money deal, that's different. But I think all things considered, he's earned something moving forward.

Hard to understand the criticism at this point. Maybe I don't get all the juicy details that locals get, but the guy made what was, at the time, the unpopular decision to continue to dance with Favre thru the summer, when eeryone was saying "screw Favre and his flip-flopping"...he continued, knowing it would be the best thing for the team, and he was right.

With all due respect, I keep telling you Vikings fans that Favre is going to fade BIG TIME down the stretch. This his been his SOP (standard operating procedure) for the last 5-6 years. It's going to happen and it will happen when you need him most. Us Packer fans have seen this all before - he starts out on fire but then the 2nd half of the season he will fizzle. Then you'll get the "will he retire"/"won't he retire" dance he's been pulling every year as well.

For the record, I do hate the Vikings but if we here in GB can teach you anything it's don't get to thrilled that you've found the missing piece at QB.

Oh! and I'm super excited that Chilly is getting a contract extension!

Edited by tosberg34

Also with all due respect, I don't think Favre has been as healthy arm-wise, or been surrounded by the talent he is now - maybe ever. I would expect him to not be as impressive as he has been moving forward, but I don't think he's been this motivated, or in this position for quite a while. I would expect him to feel a little worse for wear after last game and the next two, certainly, but this season has taken on a different perspective for him - and the entire team.

I have no doubt whatsoever we have found the missing piece at QB. Long term? No. This season, I definitely do. I don't expect him to win games like he has been, and I'd expect a few interceptions in bigger games moving forward. But I also expect the TEAM, with him in place, to continue on a special season. I honestly don't expect them to win both of the next two games, and would not be overly surprised if they lost them both. But if they should manage to win both, and they come away relatively healthy, I expect Favre to maintain an acceptable QB performance. And I would not have expected that, nor would that have been possible to this point, without Favre.

I personally think some of the criticism is lacking in value, but I would agree about his stubbornness regarding Jackson. What has impressed me the most this season is that the team has completely addressed the issues that have been their problem in past years, and that has to at least be partly due to Childress. Penalties are down, they got a good QB and a good offensive lineman, and impact player in the draft, and the only player issue I can see with Childress is Jackson. He realized his faith in Jackson was unfounded, and they went out and signed Rosenfels. And I think from most everything I've seen, he is the main reason Favre is here, which has been big, as we all know.

Look at the 3rd quarter performances this season, which in LARGE part have to be because of Childress and his staff. Adjustments at the half are incredibly more effective this season, and that is the head coaches job, at least in part. He's made good decisions in many areas of his coaching experience, and has made some head scratchers. But all in all, he's been successful, or at least his team has been. Hopefully it won't be a big extension, because the mix they have now could be solid for a while, and I see no reason to change whats been working better and better every year he's been here.

Now if they sign him to a long term big money deal, that's different. But I think all things considered, he's earned something moving forward.

He did address the Jackson issue last year by benching him and then signing Rosenfels and of course Favre. I am not sure if Jackson will re-sign with the Vikings when his contract is up. I think the only way he could have addressed the QB situation was through the draft.

2006 - Chad Greenway, #17 overall and huge need for the Vikings at the time. (remember how good our defense was during the Tice era)

2007 - Adrain Peterson, #7 Overall and they got lucky he fell to us otherwise who might have been drafted in that spot.

2008 - Jared Allen, #17 over all traded to the chiefs.

He took a chance on Jackson who was drafted with the last pick of the 2nd round. At least he knows what he has in Jackson and addressed the issue last year. So what else could he have done? They could have drafted a QB earlier instead of other areas of need...It's hard to say what they could have done...There certainly wasn't any free agents available other than Brees who had visits with Miami and New Orleans.

As far as a contract extension, I really don't think it would be long term. Coaches are disposable in the NFL, with a year and a half left on his contract, I think the most he would get is 2 maybe 3 years added on. Childress doesn't have to answer to the fans, but he does have to answer to Zygi who has to answer to the season ticket holders. If the team goes south in 2 years and he fires him, he wouldn't be on the hook for more than than 2 years of his salary.

I agree with what you stated, he has done alot of good that he doesn't get credit for...

I guess my biggest worry is...say like they go 13-3 and they make the playoffs , they win one game and lose. Zygi pulls a San Diego and fires him. They bring in a new coach, another new system and they draft crappy and the team goes down hill.

As long as he is winning, I support him...

Also with all due respect, I don't think Favre has been as healthy arm-wise, or been surrounded by the talent he is now - maybe ever. I would expect him to not be as impressive as he has been moving forward, but I don't think he's been this motivated, or in this position for quite a while. I would expect him to feel a little worse for wear after last game and the next two, certainly, but this season has taken on a different perspective for him - and the entire team.

I have no doubt whatsoever we have found the missing piece at QB. Long term? No. This season, I definitely do. I don't expect him to win games like he has been, and I'd expect a few interceptions in bigger games moving forward. But I also expect the TEAM, with him in place, to continue on a special season. I honestly don't expect them to win both of the next two games, and would not be overly surprised if they lost them both. But if they should manage to win both, and they come away relatively healthy, I expect Favre to maintain an acceptable QB performance. And I would not have expected that, nor would that have been possible to this point, without Favre.

Healthy arm-wise? His arm was healthy prior to last season and he was still fading down the stretch so I don't think his arm is any healthier now than it was 2, 3, 4 years ago.

As far as talent is concerned, I agree that he has a much better RB in Peterson but your WR corp is nothing to brag about NOR is it any better than the combinations of receivers he had in GB the last 4-5 years. Between Driver, Jennings, Javon Walker (remember him?) and others over that span it's hard to argue that Rice, Berrian and Harvin are a cut above. So really the only improvement you have is at RB - which is huge so don't get me wrong. But we had Ahman Green here when he was good and he was still fading.

So, in short, I would temper your expectations. Has he found new life/motivation? Maybe, but I will certainly have to see it to believe it after all we went thru with him the last 5-6 years. He gave us a lot of good years and is certainly a 1st ballot HOFer. But if any 40 year old can do it, he can.

I am concerned about his arm. I think when they get a nice big lead, they need to fall back on the power running game. (I love smashmouth football - some people think its boring). I think they have tried to do that, but the defense has not done their job and they had to have Favre start winging it again.

That might be why a lot of fans hate Childress because he falls back to being conservative, but maybe he is trying to keep Favre from wearing down.

Just thought I would look at the "fading down the stretch" theory with Favre over the past 5-6 years. I would admit he had a tough second half last season, and I think the arm problem definitely played into that, along with the loss of Jenkins on defense, which put a lot more pressure on the offense. But, looking past last season I see:

2007 - 13 win season, 4-2 in last 6, 381, 266, 225 yard games in those, probably didn't have much to do with the last game with things wrapped up.

2006 - Won last 4 games of the season, had yardage totals in last six which included 266, 293, and 285 in both of last two games.

2005 - Bad year for the team, but still had totals of 277, 317 and 259 in last six.

2004 - In last six games had totals of 215 (3 TDs), 367, 365, and 196 with 2 TDs in a big win over Chicago.

All in all, it seems to me the guy did not fade to any strong degree in any of these seasons. He had bad games, and threw plenty of interceptions in all of those years, yes. And it would make some sense that he would tire late at this stage of his career. But I wouldn't label the above numbers as a pattern of fading late in the year, to any measurable degree. Especially when considering his current situation, and mentality. There at at least some very strong performances in each of those years down the stretch, and that encompasses several years and situations.

I agree.

And keep in mind that the reason they didn't have a decent QB the last couple of years is that Chili was hell-bent on showing the world he was right about his decision to draft Tarvaris as our QB of the future.

And the rumors I've heard on the radio from Paul Allen regarding the former Packer/Jet QB coming to MN was due more to the conversations said QB had with Longwell trying to persuade him than anything. If that's true, well then Chili just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

He has assembled a tremendous amount of talent for which I will give him some credit. If he can't win a playoff game with these guys then this season will be an ultimate failure.

I definitely agree in regards to giving Childress credit for the talent he's put together. It is actually my belief that he would be a better personnel guy than head coach. He coaches too scared, but can put a team together.