[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm sure I'm in the minority

Cunning Runt

Irritates me when a person makes a reference to anything at all advice-related and people jump on them immediately telling them to post it in the Advice Forum.

Have you seen that forum? It's worthless if you really want to solicit feedback on a question/move you might be considering. Occasionally there will be a post there that gets some worthwhile feedback, but for the most part, it's 0 or 1 reply. It's a joke.

I know many of you don't like "cluttering" the main board with who do I starts? Or would you make this trade? For my part, I don't mind in the least if all the posts were in one place. At least you'd likely get some worthwhile feedback. At least it generates discussion on the main board whereas the Advice board is pretty much pointless.

I don't generally ask for much advice at all, but it bugs me that when someone even vaguely suggests something advice-related on the main board - even in the context of a larger discussion, there's BJ or someone else telling them they're posting in the wrong board.

Like I said, I'm almost certainly in the minority, but from my perspective y'all gotta lighten up.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime I post a question in there for advice I always go and respond to at least a dozen other posts as well. I even add a link in my response to them directing them to my post for help. If I help out 12 people I should be able to expect at least 10 replies but usually it's maybe 4 with about 100 views. It's pretty sad really.

Anytime I post a question in there for advice I always go and respond to at least a dozen other posts as well. I even add a link in my response to them directing them to my post for help. If I help out 12 people I should be able to expect at least 10 replies but usually it's maybe 4 with about 100 views. It's pretty sad really.

You're on the right track though - too many expect a reply but give nothing back. At least you're giving and taking.

Disclaimer: Haven't been in there for two years. Neither a borrower nor a lender be - Shakespeare.

There are a few regulars I try to help and count on to do the same for me. Haven't spent much time there this season, as I feel much more confident in the decisions I'm making. It is nice to bounce trade offers of others as a sanity check before I decide, but that's about it. I use DMD and 2V's huddle analysis and make my decisions from there.

But, I try to respond to PMs if you are looking for input.

There are a few regulars I try to help and count on to do the same for me. Haven't spent much time there this season, as I feel much more confident in the decisions I'm making. It is nice to bounce trade offers of others as a sanity check before I decide, but that's about it. I use DMD and 2V's huddle analysis and make my decisions from there.

But, I try to respond to PMs if you are looking for input.

It's almost always trade advice if I'm posting in there and thanks for the PM offer. Maybe we should have an advice forum for PAYING members only. Think that would help get some quality advice and responses?

That's pretty much what I do as well, but I don't often go there for advice since most of my leagues are here. Usually when I need advice i seek out other Huddlers who I trust via PM or IM.

Cunning Runt,

If you want information or discussion on certain players then try opening a thread(s) on those players & maybe that will help you in your decision. In the meantime it's something that will benefit the board as a whole & not just your FF team.

Example

ETA: I also respond to at least one or two Saints related advice PMs a week, but I'm always open to discussing other players as well. I just don't have the time to sift through the FA forum.

Edited by rajncajn

So, your argument is that nobody wants to give advice, so you'd rather have all the posts in here?

No. I don't want to give advice. Keep the posts out of here.

For the record, I do happen to disagree with you quite a bit on this one.

What prompted me to post is that in the Maroney thread (I believe Rajn started it), there's 25 replies. On reply 22, someone says they have Maroney, but wonders whether they should pick up Ben-Jarvis or Faulk, and in the VERY next post, you've got BJ telling him he's posting in the wrong forum.

That was ridiculous in my estimation. It was a relevant question in the context of the initial thread, but he got jumped on. That was my main point. And to make matters worse, you've got BJ jumping on him telling him to post it in a forum that frankly sucks.

So ya, people need to lighten up.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Any faults of the Advice forum would not be helped by moving that here. It would mess up this board as well.

Now there are, indeed, massive problems with the advice forum despite the great efforts of a number of guys here who spend a lot of time helping people out. The biggest problem, of course, is that, when you go there, you are largely relying on people who you have no idea if they have any freaking clue about the subject.

When I was bothering to post there, I found that nearly every post fell into one of two categories.

Really stupid questions like, should I bench Brees for Campbell because he's playing the worst pass D would get like 30 replies saying, "Don't be an idiot."

Tough questions, you know, the ones where a little insight would be nice, earn crickets. Why? Because if you're trying to debate between two marginal WRs as a bye week filler, it's anyone's guess. Assuming you're a paying member, all the data you need is on the home page. Not DMD's predictions, mind you, but the data he used to get them. Are both players healthy? Is one of them playing a crappy D and the other is playing Pitt?

Of course, that's not what people want. Either they want to save a few bucks and glean this info from the paying members or they just want someone to hold their hand and say it's going to be OK.

Lastly, the forum is wrecked by the sheer number of posts, many of which are duplicate. So, mixing it with this forum would just wreck this as well.

That's pretty much what I do as well, but I don't often go there for advice since most of my leagues are here. Usually when I need advice i seek out other Huddlers who I trust via PM or IM.

Cunning Runt,

If you want information or discussion on certain players then try opening a thread(s) on those players & maybe that will help you in your decision. In the meantime it's something that will benefit the board as a whole & not just your FF team.

Example

ETA: I also respond to at least one or two Saints related advice PMs a week, but I'm always open to discussing other players as well. I just don't have the time to sift through the FA forum.

Well, I think you may have inferred that I was looking for advice and couldn't get any feedback. That's not the case at all, I really don't need much advice, but when I do have a question, I do write it in such as way, as in your Maroney post, that prompts discussion rather than seeking straight "advice". and I then formulate my own decision(s) taking that discussion into consideration.

That said, a post in your Maroney thread is what prompted me to start this thread in the first place.

That was ridiculous in my estimation. It was a relevant question in the context of the initial thread, but he got jumped on. That was my main point. And to make matters worse, you've got BJ jumping on him telling him to post it in a forum that frankly sucks.

Don't let it stick in your craw CR, it was a relevant question & BJ probably should have let it slide. I'll take the one or two times he makes the wrong judgment call vs the hundreds of times he takes the trash out for us. I'm pretty sure BJ wasn't "jumping" on him, he's got a tough job keeping these boards clean & I believe he does a great job at it & is extremely polite in doing so.

+ 1

And some will just reply to reply, go with the majority and offer no insight or opinions.

But it is what it is......I still post a questions once in a while and respond when I can.

Of course, that's not what people want. Either they want to save a few bucks and glean this info from the paying members or they just want someone to hold their hand and say it's going to be OK.

Lastly, the forum is wrecked by the sheer number of posts, many of which are duplicate. So, mixing it with this forum would just wreck this as well.

Agreed

Don't let it stick in your craw CR, it was a relevant question & BJ probably should have let it slide. I'll take the one or two times he makes the wrong judgment call vs the hundreds of times he takes the trash out for us. I'm pretty sure BJ wasn't "jumping" on him, he's got a tough job keeping these boards clean & I believe he does a great job at it & is extremely polite in doing so.

+ millions. This place would be like a midden without BJ to keep it clean.

Irritates me when a person makes a reference to anything at all advice-related and people jump on them immediately telling them to post it in the Advice Forum.

Have you seen that forum? It's worthless if you really want to solicit feedback on a question/move you might be considering. Occasionally there will be a post there that gets some worthwhile feedback, but for the most part, it's 0 or 1 reply. It's a joke.

I know many of you don't like "cluttering" the main board with who do I starts? Or would you make this trade? For my part, I don't mind in the least if all the posts were in one place. At least you'd likely get some worthwhile feedback. At least it generates discussion on the main board whereas the Advice board is pretty much pointless.

I don't generally ask for much advice at all, but it bugs me that when someone even vaguely suggests something advice-related on the main board - even in the context of a larger discussion, there's BJ or someone else telling them they're posting in the wrong board.

Like I said, I'm almost certainly in the minority, but from my perspective y'all gotta lighten up.

I agree 100%

I do the same. Incredibly, I got ripped by a person who is new to the site this year. Felt like I gave a reasonable response, particularly considering it was early and I was on my third cup of joe with no breakfast. I'm normally a bear in that situation.

I maybe start one or two advice threads a year, but I do like to go in and help out from time to time. I may get started with some replies, but I have kids, and you never know when you have to jump up to investigate that crashing noise upstairs.

Overall, though, I like the advice forum. If nothing else, if you're in a quandary, someone may bring up an angle you haven't considered. Doesn't mean you'll act on it, but the feedback is appreciated nonetheless.

I used to poke around in the Advice Forumn every once in a while but I no longer venture in there. Too many "WDIS", "Rate my team", "Pick 3 of these 8 WRs to start", etc. I have no patience for people who seek out others opinions on their team and then argue with them that their opinion is wrong. There is a lot of that in there as I recall, and too much general nonsense for my taste. No, thanks :wacko:

And speaking of nonsense, the main Fantasy Football forumn is getting to be a tough place to be these days, IMO, especially on sundays. WAY too many people creating stupid(ie "Where is so-and-so?" "So-and-so is killing me!" etc) threads and WAY too many people creating threads that are either complete duplicates (or extremely similar) to threads already going. If there is already a thread(or more) on Saints RBs, we dont need goofs starting 2-3 on Pierre Thomas and another couple clowns starting 2-3 more on Mike Bell :D If you feel the need to cry about a Saints RB, do it where others are already crying about it for god's sake!

It seems there are entirely too many people who get too much of a kick out of starting threads and they hastily crank them out without putting any time into checking if there is already one going on the topic or giving any thought to whether what they have to say is even worth starting a new thread. Ridiculous.

I am not knocking those who run/oversee these forumns. I believe they do what they can to keep the fools at bay. As long as the forumns are free, though, they are going to be fighting a losing battle as there are far too many dipchits out there to keep track of. One solution may be too set a minimum post count before someone can create a thread. Otherwise, someone mentioned having a forumn that is only for the paying customers and that might provide a little bit of a sanctuary from the nonsense as it will likely exclude the kids and the freeloaders.

[/soapbox]

As one of the few regulars who is generally active in the advice forum, I'll give my two cents here on how I approach it.

In the preseason, I am very active providing insight into draft strategy, keeper strategy, trade strategy, general FF strategy and any of a myriad of the metagame aspects of leagues. I am active in these threads because most of the time they are more general in that the advice and discussion that goes on in them can apply to many people, so in a sense it is an attempt to provide advice to the masses.

However, after a week or so I get tired of asking the same questions over and over - (number of teams, lineup reqs, scoring system, etc.). There are plenty of posters that will blindly answer questions without the pertinent information, but, without that info, their input is generally worthless.

I generally avoid rate my team posts. Unfortunately I am sure there are several that have an interesting point to them, but the majority are little more than brag posts and, if you didn't take a WR till round 5, you'll be weaker there, so there is little to gain from these posts in general.

During the season, I will cherry pick a few WDIS start and trade threads, but I will limit my input generally to the threads where the OP has at least taken the time to put in the pertinent information and some ofthere own thoughts as to why hey are having trouble making the decision. Again, these are the minority, and I probably miss plenty. if you post nothing more than should I trade DeAngelo for Wayne and provide no info on your league setup or your thoughts on the situation, I'll generally skip the post. If you are not willing to help yourself, I'm not going to put my time into helping you.

Personally, I would love to see the advice forum made up of subforums including separate forums for Who Do I start, should I make this trade, rate my team, etc., and have the general forum be for more FF overall advice. As it is now, a thread can get pushed off of the first page in 15 minutes with many repeat posts popping up.

Also, I try to ignore people that bump their own thread very quickly, that repeat their same post multiple times and I personally don't care for the short responses that end with a "See mine" and a link.

One thing I would like for the board in general (and have seen on other message boards), but have been told it would not happen, and likely with valid reason, is a "rep" rating system where users, if they feel they have been given good advice, etc., can award the poster that helped them with "rep points". So, while post counts are not indicative of a quality advice giver, at least the "rep power" could help newer posters figure out who has been around a while and has a reputation for providing quality insight rather than having to figure it out on their own when wading through the responses they do get.

I am not knocking those who run/oversee these forumns. I believe they do what they can to keep the fools at bay. As long as the forumns are free, though, they are going to be fighting a losing battle as there are far too many dipchits out there to keep track of. One solution may be too set a minimum post count before someone can create a thread. Otherwise, someone mentioned having a forumn that is only for the paying customers and that might provide a little bit of a sanctuary from the nonsense as it will likely exclude the kids and the freeloaders.

[/soapbox]

While this is another thread entirely and has been done before, in addition to the "rep points" thing I mentioned in my previous post, another consideration I would not be oppossed to (though I am sure there are valid reasons to not do it) is to keep the forums free for viewing, but only paying members of the huddle have posting priveleges, or something to that affect. (or, maybe paying members of the huddle at least get an ad-free version of the forums)

I guess we disagree.

And this probably goes to the heart of my thread more than anything. I'll leave it at that.

Dude, this is not a matter of "agree to disagree". This is a matter of you're just plain wrong. It's really that simple. The fact that the advice forum is borderline useless would simply not be fixed by merging it with the main football forum. It would just make the football forum useless as well.

The only reason why the occasional advice related topic gets more notice that one posted in the advice forum is because nearly everyone else is posting these topics over there. If everyone was posting them in the general football forum, you'd still have the same issue with threads ending up on page 2 within 30 minutes only every thread would end up there, even those that have nothing to do with advice.

So, merging the two is an undeniably horrible idea. Sorry.

Dude, this is not a matter of "agree to disagree". This is a matter of you're just plain wrong. It's really that simple. The fact that the advice forum is borderline useless would simply not be fixed by merging it with the main football forum. It would just make the football forum useless as well.

The only reason why the occasional advice related topic gets more notice that one posted in the advice forum is because nearly everyone else is posting these topics over there. If everyone was posting them in the general football forum, you'd still have the same issue with threads ending up on page 2 within 30 minutes only every thread would end up there, even those that have nothing to do with advice.

So, merging the two is an undeniably horrible idea. Sorry.

You need to pull your head out of your ass once in a while .... dude. You've completely missed my point.... dude.

Did you even read the specific post you replied to.... dude?