[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm sure I'm in the minority

Cunning Runt

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the FA forum answering questions, but I wasn't shy about letting people know when their post was pointless (rate my team, rate my trade etc).

So between the endless drivel over there, the thin skins that whine to the admins and my busy schedule I don't go there any more.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when player evaluation questions come up in the context of a larger thread (as sometimes happens in the general fantasy football forum) it seems appropriate to allow those discussions to continue in that context.

Yes, I completely agree. It seems silly to start a new thread in another forum when the question is relevant to the thread. And I think that is one of the main points that CR was making. Now quickly, R. Fitzpatrick or J. Johnson? It's relevant because I say it is. I think, therefore ---nevermind. If those are my only two options, I'm beyond advice, no matter what forum.

Start the players who score the most points. Duh

I give this thread a 564.2594466 :wacko:

Ding Ding Ding..we have a winner!

Good God! I've been sayin' it. I've been sayin' it for ten damn years.

I've read every post you've ever made and you've never said that. Not once.

My Daily Chuckle.

I actually had that quote in my sig at one point Opie.

The advice forum...

Yes, I have posted there, but not in a long time. When I first got to this site, there were some long timers, knew their chit, and were active. It was a whole lot more active 4 years ago. For me, the questions just got too stupid. I stopped offering advice. Posters did NO research, and wanted free advice to make up for their lazy approach to the hobby.

The few times I actually had a WDIS of my own, they went either unanswered, or answered by clueless FF players.

Unless a staffer is tasked with answering, that forum is a waste of cyber space. It's like that 5th roll of toilet paper in the closet. It has to be there, but it never gets used.

I started out lurking in the advice forum 6 years ago and found it to be worthwhile. I still think a noob will get some benefit from going there now, and the forum should be continued as is. JMHO. :wacko:

It's almost always trade advice if I'm posting in there and thanks for the PM offer. Maybe we should have an advice forum for PAYING members only. Think that would help get some quality advice and responses?

+1

that would be a great option...I think the reason that there are soo many lame posts is that they are trying to get the info from the home page for free

Don't let it stick in your craw CR, it was a relevant question & BJ probably should have let it slide. I'll take the one or two times he makes the wrong judgment call vs the hundreds of times he takes the trash out for us. I'm pretty sure BJ wasn't "jumping" on him, he's got a tough job keeping these boards clean & I believe he does a great job at it & is extremely polite in doing so.

Did this thread really need to continue past this conclusion? Rajncajn nailed it. :wacko:

I used to try and set up shop in the advice forum with my "Tap the keg" advice threads but the past 2 years my net access is limited and I am spending much more of my time composing my weekly IDP article instead.

The thing that always made me scratch my head was the person that didnt know if they should start say Peyton Manning over Kordell Stewart but then ended their post with "will answer yours"....I mean seriously if you don't know the answer to your question I doubt I want you helping to answer my question.

Edited by keggerz

I really like the idea of limiting to paying members. I think view-only access to forums for those that don't pay is actually a great solution. You can still gain quite a bit by just reading the threads but it would clean up the boards quite a bit. In a well thought out reply to a WDIS or SIMTT thread that presents a reasonble argument supported by prior knowledge and real data is beneficial to read even if you don't have the players mentioned because it helps people to apply better lines of thinking to their own situation.

The board users here are so heavily paying members that it makes the non-paying statistically almost non-existent.Pretty much no one hangs around here who is not already a member.

I used to try and set up shop in the advice forum with my "Tap the keg" advice threads but the past 2 years my net access is limited and I am spending much more of my time composing my weekly IDP article instead.

This and Hugh's threads were some of the best, IMO. I have thought about trying that out on the few weekend nights where I have time, but it just hasn't happened yet.

The board users here are so heavily paying members that it makes the non-paying statistically almost non-existent.Pretty much no one hangs around here who is not already a member.

Well, crap! There goes that idea :D

How about...is there a way to make people submit to an online IQ test when they pay their membership fee? Maybe set it up so the nimrods can look but not touch? :wacko:

I mean, we'd likely lose all our Packer fans and/or WI residents but we'd have to accept some level of collateral damage, wouldnt we? :D

This is an example of the kind of question I don't mind answering.

It presented the opportunity to delve deeper into the thought process one needs to consider in FF, in this case looking at certain trade scenarios and not just the immediate impact, but the long term impact, while also addressing the particular question posed by the OP. To me, it is something that could have generated a bit more conversation as well.

Well, crap! There goes that idea :D

How about...is there a way to make people submit to an online IQ test when they pay their membership fee? Maybe set it up so the nimrods can look but not touch? :wacko:

I mean, we'd likely lose all our Packer fans and/or WI residents but we'd have to accept some level of collateral damage, wouldnt we? :D

Losing Big John would be too big a price to pay, IMO, though the idea has merit :D

Maybe the Cowboy fans should be secluded to a single forum so the rest of us can have intellectual discussions :D

If we allow this than the football forum will become the advice forum that you refer to as a joke. It wouldnt make sense. I have been doing FF long enough to make up my own mind. In the instances that I could use another point of view I shoot a PM or a text to a huddler whose opinion I respect. I just started doing IDP so I tap those guys on occasion. Usually TBone , Keg or Darin. Darin answers texts in a very grouchy manner when I ask for IDP advice though. He is like Mr Grouchy pants

If we allow this than the football forum will become the advice forum that you refer to as a joke. It wouldnt make sense. I have been doing FF long enough to make up my own mind. In the instances that I could use another point of view I shoot a PM or a text to a huddler whose opinion I respect. I just started doing IDP so I tap those guys on occasion. Usually TBone , Keg or Darin. Darin answers texts in a very grouchy manner when I ask for IDP advice though. He is like Mr Grouchy pants

you do the opposite of what he says, right :wacko:

I pop in over there once in a while, but honestly just scroll down to see if there's a regular that has posted a question. If there is, I'll read it and add my thoughts if I have any.

This is part of the problem, just as much as uninformed and stupid questions are.

Please answer questions based on their merits.. Did that person actually do his research, and have a real quandry, or is he just an idiot who doesn't wanna look it up on his own?

Next, ask yourself: Do I have insight or an opinion on this issue that this person might not be thinking about?

That should be the criteria. As one who spends more time answering questions in the advice forum than anywhere else here, I hate that people simply blame the failure of the forum on bad posters. You don't have to answer the stupid questions, but when you ignore all those that aren't from people in your clique, then you are just as much at fault for the lack of success of this forum.

I have only asked 2 questions in there, but both were good ones, and no one even bothered to answer except people who wanted theirs answered (people who are obviously clueless themselves for the most part). That to me is the fault of everyone here.

(Especially when we are prohibited from bringing even good questions in here. I certainly understand why, but that's even more reason why people should be doing like Big John, and offer some answers in the other forum every now and then. There are still plenty of good questions over there to be answered by someone who's willing.)

So let's get this straight. Big John is a bad man for policing the boards (which he does right 99.99% of the time). Is that worse than polluting the main forum with posts rooting for player injuries :wacko:

If you are going to call people out who make the Huddle forums what it is...

This is part of the problem, just as much as uninformed and stupid questions are.

Please answer questions based on their merits.. Did that person actually do his research, and have a real quandry, or is he just an idiot who doesn't wanna look it up on his own?

Next, ask yourself: Do I have insight or an opinion on this issue that this person might not be thinking about?

That should be the criteria. As one who spends more time answering questions in the advice forum than anywhere else here, I hate that people simply blame the failure of the forum on bad posters. You don't have to answer the stupid questions, but when you ignore all those that aren't from people in your clique, then you are just as much at fault for the lack of success of this forum.

I have only asked 2 questions in there, but both were good ones, and no one even bothered to answer except people who wanted theirs answered (people who are obviously clueless themselves for the most part). That to me is the fault of everyone here.

The problem is that it requires opening every post to see which ones have included the pertinent information or have posed a more general strategic question. If the forum supported mouse over previews (which some other MBs I am on do), that would alleviate it a bit as one could merely mouse over the thread title and get a small window with a preview of the first few lines of text.

So, assuming these sorts of enhancements aren't likely, it'll likely stay the status quo.

I'll stick with my mantra of "If you aren;t willing to help yourself, I won;t be willing to help you" and stick to finding the few well thought out posts where the OP shows he has actually thought about the question and is looking for validation or opposing viewpoints or just a fresh set of eyes. Yes, I will likely miss the most of these as I don't have time to go in and open every single thread, but those that I do respond to will get a well thought out and reasoned response.

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the FA forum answering questions, but I wasn't shy about letting people know when their post was pointless (rate my team, rate my trade etc).

when it came to your own FF chit, you did a nice job of posting your own pointless questions tho :wacko: