[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hakeem Nicks

tosberg34

He's put up fantastic numbers the last 3 weeks, even better than Manningham. I know there was talk of him eventually replacing Manningham anyways because he has so much talent. After last weeks performance I think that pretty much sealed it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I'd be interested in the target breakdown or, more to the point, someone who has watched every Giants snap this season.

IIRC, Nicks has been getting some mop-up duty. Especially in the Bucs, Chiefs, and Raiders games. Last week the Saints had the game in the bag fairly early. Manningham still had one more target in that game.

So I guess... how much of Nicks' stats are coming when the game is out of hand? How many targets are Manningham and Nicks seeing when the game is still in reach?

I like Nicks. He obviously looks like he's going to be a good pro but given the recent lopsided games the Giants have played, I wonder if Nicks is really supplanting Manningham. I also wonder about Coughlin's, and NYG Brass', proclivity for starting a rookie WR.

I'd be interested in the target breakdown or, more to the point, someone who has watched every Giants snap this season.

IIRC, Nicks has been getting some mop-up duty. Especially in the Bucs, Chiefs, and Raiders games. Last week the Saints had the game in the bag fairly early. Manningham still had one more target in that game.

So I guess... how much of Nicks' stats are coming when the game is out of hand? How many targets are Manningham and Nicks seeing when the game is still in reach?

I like Nicks. He obviously looks like he's going to be a good pro but given the recent lopsided games the Giants have played, I wonder if Nicks is really supplanting Manningham. I also wonder about Coughlin's, and NYG Brass', proclivity for starting a rookie WR.

Good post. I'd like to see a breakdown as well. Anyone watch all the games? What are you seeing?

Nothing conclusive. Would still like a Giants Homer to chime in, but Nicks/Manningham situational stats may be indicative...

http://www.nfl.com/players/hakeemnicks/sit...ts?id=NIC726593

That's a lot of stats in 4th quarters. It's also a lot of stats when the score margin is 15+ pts.

Manningham's situationals are pretty much opposite...

http://www.nfl.com/players/mariomanningham...ts?id=MAN547041

A lot of stats in the 1st half, including all his TDs. And a lot of stats when NYG is ahead or behind by only one score.

I like Nicks too, but I think it's important to point out that not only did much of Nick's yardage come late in the last game, but his TD came when Carr was under center as well. In week 5, Nicks also got alot of garbage time yardage when Carr was in the game. Nicks is proving that he has skills, but he has not been working solely with the first team offense.

Edited by billay

I've watched every down. Smith and Mario have been the starters (Mario since Hixon went down, but Hixon's not getting the job back). Nicks has been working in the 3 receiver sets and rotating with Mario at times. Smith is always on the field. The Giants have had several blowouts so calculating what the real '1st team' is may not be possible just yet, as Nicks was injured early. Nicks is definitely rotating in more often over the last 2 weeks, but I don't think Mario will dissappear. Time will tell, but Smith is the safest play week to week, with Mario and Nicks both getting looks and long balls right now.

I've watched every down. Smith and Mario have been the starters (Mario since Hixon went down, but Hixon's not getting the job back). Nicks has been working in the 3 receiver sets and rotating with Mario at times. Smith is always on the field. The Giants have had several blowouts so calculating what the real '1st team' is may not be possible just yet, as Nicks was injured early. Nicks is definitely rotating in more often over the last 2 weeks, but I don't think Mario will dissappear. Time will tell, but Smith is the safest play week to week, with Mario and Nicks both getting looks and long balls right now.

Thanks. Mario has been dinged the last two weeks, as well, giving Coughlin a good excuse to pull him once these games were out of hand. He's done it with Manning. Why not Mario?

Nicks is good. I can see why they might want to get him on the field more. But given all this, it seems to me that Nicks has yet to supplant Mario.

Thanks. Mario has been dinged the last two weeks, as well,

That is telling. This might be no more than Nicks doing well given the opportunity which is now not there so much. Course with him doing well Coughlin might use him more.

In other words who tf knows. :wacko: I have Manningham so Nicks is probably a good play.

Manningham 44 targets 392 yds

Hicks 21 targets 235 yds

Smith 55 targets 525 yds

Smith clear cut #1. When passing downs/3rd downs Hicks is getting Mannings attention. Especiially if he is line up as #3 WR against nickel back or safety. While I think Hicks will be a force soon, I'd say for now he is still the #3.

Nicks was well on his way to being the #1 before he got hurt in the first game. They tried using Hixon at #1 first before it was obvious he was being pushed around out there. Nicks is on his way to asserting his dominance and becoming Plaxico 2.0. He has the size, strength and speed to get it done. Of course, so does Manningham.

Edited by WildTurkey

I have been thinking the same thing about Nicks and feel that he'll surpass Manningham as he has already in stats over the last couple weeks. You really can't look at the numbers because Nicks was banged up so the totals will obviously be in Manningham's favor. I do think Nicks will be the better of the two moving forward, assuming both remain healthy.

Nicks was well on his way to being the #1 before he got hurt in the first game. They tried using Hixon at #1 first before it was obvious he was being pushed around out there. Nicks is on his way to asserting his dominance and becoming Plaxico 2.0. He has the size, strength and speed to get it done. Of course, so does Manningham.

Not sure what you are talking about, but Nicks was nowhere near being the #1 anything. Hicks is 6 ft tall , Manningham is 5-11, neither will be the next Plaxico as he was a freak at 6-5 with speed . So please don't give advice when you don't know what you are talking about.

This is a nice trio of wideouts the Giants will have for now and the future , along with rookie TE Travis Beckum, Manning is going to have a nice set of weapons for the foreseable future.

Eventually it will be Smith and Hicks with Manningham as the slot/3rd WR, but for now I expect to see Manningham out there more then Nicks , but it could chang before the seasons end.

Not sure what you are talking about, but Nicks was nowhere near being the #1 anything. Hicks is 6 ft tall , Manningham is 5-11, neither will be the next Plaxico as he was a freak at 6-5 with speed . So please don't give advice when you don't know what you are talking about.

This is a nice trio of wideouts the Giants will have for now and the future , along with rookie TE Travis Beckum, Manning is going to have a nice set of weapons for the foreseable future.

Eventually it will be Smith and Hicks with Manningham as the slot/3rd WR, but for now I expect to see Manningham out there more then Nicks , but it could chang before the seasons end.

Nicks is actually listed at 6'1 and is a good 20 lbs heavier w/ muscle than Manningham if you want to get in to specifics, but the reason the Giants drafted him so early is because he's a "big" receiver with great speed, a la Plaxico (though I agree with you that he was/is a one of a kind specimen). He is physically much more in the mold of Burress as far as size, speed, and leaping ability than any of their other receivers. Smith and Manningham had been there a year before and did nothing their rookie years, where as Nicks was placed into the fire immediately because he's a physical presence the same way Plax was. So I stand by my statement and don't pretend to be giving anyone "advice" by saying so.

Hicks, Nicks, Nicks, Hicks :wacko:

Nicks was never on his way to being the #1. He's a rookie who got injured early. Mario has been in the system for 2 years. Steve Smith is the #1, and will be the #1. He's the possession guy, the move the chains guy, the most reliable guy. The being said, Nicks and Mario are much bigger deep threats and long ball guys. They really fit different roles and Eli will be spreading the ball around. Nicks may become the biggest big play threat over time, his skills are obvious, but by no means was he 'clearly on his way to being #1'... That is an overstatement and simply not accurate.