[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Los Angeles NFL team

abishagenaden

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4585508

If and when L.A. gets a team, and assuming it won't be an expansion team, is anyone in the know as to which team/s have the highest chances of moving over here? The ESPN article below mentions some possible teams too. Right after Katrina hit I know the Saints were one of the odds-on favorites but after the furore of kicking a dog while it's down and the Saints' recent successes we know that's probably not going to happen.

L.A. stadium environmental bill signed

INDUSTRY, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Thursday he had signed a bill allowing the construction of a 75,000-seat stadium that developers hope will lure an NFL team back to the Los Angeles area.Schwarzenegger said he signed the environmental exemption bill last week but saved the announcement for a press conference in Industry, where the stadium would be built about 15 miles east of Los Angeles.

The bill would nullify a lawsuit filed by residents in nearby Walnut over the project's environmental impact.

Schwarzenegger called the lawsuit frivolous as he addressed a crowd of union members wearing hardhats. Across the street, a dozen protesters held signs saying "No Stadium."

"This is the best kind of action state government can create -- action that cuts red tape, generates jobs, is environmentally friendly and brings a continued economic boost to California," Schwarzenegger said.

Majestic Realty Co. is heading the stadium project after helping develop Staples Center, the downtown Los Angeles home of the NBA's Lakers and Clippers and the NHL's Kings.

Majestic has targeted seven teams as candidates to move to the Los Angeles area: the Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.

The firm has said the teams are in stadiums that are either too small or can't be updated with luxury box seats or other revenue sources an NFL club needs to thrive.

Schwarzenegger said the stadium would generate more than 18,000 jobs.

Majestic guaranteed parking lot attendants and concession stand workers would be paid middle-class wages, said Maria Elena Durazo, head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor.

"This is true economic development," Durazo said. "It's going to benefit everyone in our community."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4585508

If and when L.A. gets a team, and assuming it won't be an expansion team, is anyone in the know as to which team/s have the highest chances of moving over here? The ESPN article below mentions some possible teams too. Right after Katrina hit I know the Saints were one of the odds-on favorites but after the furore of kicking a dog while it's down and the Saints' recent successes we know that's definitely not going to happen.

Fixed...

Given the franchises history & relative lack of support I would point more toward Jacksonville or St. Louis before any other. I seriously doubt the Vikings or 49ers relocate & if Buffalo moves they could be the first Canadian franchise. (sorry Bills fans :wacko: )

Word around here is that they are focused almost entirely on getting the Rams back. They are for sale, and there are lease problems here in STL. There are several local groups in the bidding process, but it could be interesting. It doesn't help that the commissioner's office has a history of not liking the St. Louis market very much, even privately negotiating with and giving advice to the group from Jacksonville before awarding them the expansion franchise instead of St. Louis.

I think it's obvious they see this as their first, best shot.

check last sunday night's Nielsen ratings out. The Bears/Falcons game had a higher rating in LA than the Dodgers/Phillies game! That's pathetic support for a team and that market definitely does not deserve another franchise! Besides how many teams does California need anyways???!!!

check last sunday night's Nielsen ratings out. The Bears/Falcons game had a higher rating in LA than the Dodgers/Phillies game! That's pathetic support for a team and that market definitely does not deserve another franchise! Besides how many teams does California need anyways???!!!

I agree! The Rams had horrible ratings when they were there, but the NFL seems hell-bent on getting back there.

:D

Not so much at the state level, but perhaps moreso at the city level. I've never understood why 1 city needs 2 professional sports teams from the same sport (i.e. Dodgers/Angels, Lakers/Clippers). How about we give St.Louis the Clippers in exchange for the Rams? :wacko:

:D

Not so much at the state level, but perhaps moreso at the city level. I've never understood why 1 city needs 2 professional sports teams from the same sport (i.e. Dodgers/Angels, Lakers/Clippers). How about we give St.Louis the Clippers in exchange for the Rams? :wacko:

No deal. :D

please let them take the raiders , im a vikings fan but live just south of the 49ers and raiders and if the raiders moved we would get an extra game to watch ( i think because the raiders are always blacked out) Im not sure if it works that way or not, you guys that live in an area that only supports one NFL team how many Sunday games do you see ? ( not counting the night game )

The Chargers are definitely in the mix but are a longshot to go there. Roski wants control of the team that plays in his stadium, and even though he and the Spanos family are cozy, I don't think they'll give up control of the Bolts.

They aren't going to steal a team from in the state. The whole point is to generate new money, not move money around within the state.

Keep your hands off the Bills Arnold at least we've had most of the season sold out since august and are at superbowl years season ticket levels.

LA has had thier chances and didn't support squat. There are way more deserving locations.

LA needs to put the Crips on one side and the Bloods on the other; flip the blunt pre-race.

Put the crack and the bling on the 50 yard line and let the game begin! :wacko:

Sunday Gang Ticket from DTV for $1000 per week.

several reasons:

its football, the national past time and is only going once a week for just over 4 out of 12 months of the year. Compared to baseball that has been on for 9 months, no matter it was a playoff game. besides, the philly's were better and the mcCourts are a joke

do you realize how many people from out of state move/visit here every day? a lot. i've seen it my whole life! and a lot are from chicago = ratings

the Doyers have a HUGE following here. Should not even be questioned. However, we also have a million other things to do here, ALL YEAR LONG. This includes getting out to places to watch, outside to listen and check on our iPhones and BB's.

How many franchises does california need? a lot. Just like our electoral votes.

LA has had thier chances and didn't support squat. There are way more deserving locations.

LA needs to put the Crips on one side and the Bloods on the other; flip the blunt pre-race.

Put the crack and the bling on the 50 yard line and let the game begin! :wacko:

Sunday Gang Ticket from DTV for $1000 per week.

really? Crips/Bloods? Did you just catch "Colors" on TBS? The crips and bloods incorporated and expanded to middle/small town america years ago...

We deserve and will get a team. Roski and Majestic went about this the right way. Are in a good, central LA metro location. and the stadium location and design are perfect. What they did to the Staple center area is a job well done. believe me, not an area you would have wanted to visit on your way to disneyland, several years ago

We supported the Rams for years before Blonde took over and even supported Al before he went money hungry and took the raiders back to SF's arm pit

we'll take any team that wants: year round good weather, beautiful ocean and mountains, a ever growing population from all directions, wealthy consumer base and good looking call girls for the players. they'll be the most profitable and desriable team to play for.

the NFL would love to make the LA stadium the permanent site for the super bowl. odds on great weather for the game. international city. has the infrastructure in place.

one more thing. that much closer to Las Vegas without having to put a team there (3.5 hrs up the 15). Don't kid yourself if you don't think this is a plus in the NFLs eyes

Zygi won't move the Vikings to LA. He could have shared a new stadium with the Gophers, but he would have to pay revenue sharing to them. I am sure it would be the same with this deal. I think the only way the Vikings move out of town is if Zygi sells the team. He stays true to his word that he won't move the team. I think a stadium will eventually get built, but you never know, this state let the Lakers (basketball) and Stars (hockey) walk only to pay through the roof for a new team. Maybe they learned their lesson maybe they didn't....we'll see.

... do you realize how many people from out of state move/visit here every day? a lot...

... a ever growing population from all directions...

the NFL would love to make the LA stadium the permanent site for the super bowl. odds on great weather for the game. international city. has the infrastructure in place.

Ok, first off, people have been leaving California in droves for at least the last 10 years. Trust me, I have been tripping over them more and more every week. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know the number of corporations that have relocated off the top of my head, but if you need the number, I can go research and get that. Your state is flat broke or as your state government would say, severely unsustainable.

"Permanent site for the Super Bowl"?.....really?.....dude, put the pipe down.....seriously..... :wacko:

"An ever growing population from all directions".....you need to stop smoking dope for 1 day; stand up off your couch; and stick your head out the front door. These are not legal Americans moving to California; they are Latin Americans illegally crossing the boarder by the thousands each and every day. I'm not racist in the least; these are just the facts.

Wake up.....the last place I would put a pro football team today is LA. Albequerque is one location that comes to mind; way before LA.

ok. Albequerque?!?! could that tax base even support a UFL team? and I'M smoking crack?

corps leaving, people leaving in droves? let's see... in the mid-90s its was Idaho, in late 90s it was Colorado and Vegas, in the early 00's it was Charleston and recently its been Austin. through Albequerque in and some other places, and sure, people have been moving out to find cheaper cost of living. however, they all come back and more people move to CA than any other state in raw numbers. crap, the Rose Bowl parade alone probably brings in 30% of those people.

we're flat broke, huh? what do you think is going to happen? california is going to shut its doors and everyone is just going to stop doing anything? its called deficeit spending. we'll be just fine just like the rest of the country... our military won't allow the US to become a second rate country. i own restaurants, i felt the slump and have a first row seat to the consumer spending trend. we'll be fine.

you said ALBEQUERQUE :wacko:

as for your Latin Americans illegally crossing. here's a little secret... shhhh... they're every where... maybe even in your town!!!! :D

illegal or legal, no matter, the largest growing "minority population" in the country. the NFL is salivating to tap into that market. have you noticed the games in Mexico city?

no pipe smoking here. just a local business man, who for one would not want to live anywhere else and welcomes a money maker like a NFL team down the road

Edited by insideout33

There are two ways of analyzing your comments.

The first is as you did, that there isn't enough support for the area's sports teams as evidenced by the hometown Dodgers getting beat in the ratings by the Bears/Falcons.

The second is how I took it - that the NFL is simply that much more popular than baseball in the area which lends itself well to the argument of LA having a team.

There are two ways of analyzing your comments.

The first is as you did, that there isn't enough support for the area's sports teams as evidenced by the hometown Dodgers getting beat in the ratings by the Bears/Falcons.

The second is how I took it - that the NFL is simply that much more popular than baseball in the area which lends itself well to the argument of LA having a team.

And the third way of looking at it is that (much like Atlanta) there are so few true "locals" that there is little support for the local teams. Everyone who lives there is from somewhere else and they keep their allegiances to their "hometown" teams. So the NFL ratings can be strong, but the ratings for the locals suck.