[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jake Locker--UW

Seahawks21

GTS - I agree with most of your post, except Locker is WAY faster than Tebow.

Locker is a work in progress and needs refinement but the scouts are drooling at his potential. nice Ferndale connection!!

he is as good as gone IMO - no reason at all to stick around if you are top 5-10

I'm just glad I'm a few years older than Locker (he was a freshman when I was a senior), so when we played Ferndale we didn't have to face him back in the early 00's. I would have gotten worked (was a starting DT).

Also, the only thing that is going to hold him back is if he has a desire to be a college kid for one more year. Looking back, I certainly wish I would not have rushed through college. Biggest regret of my life thus far. Who knows what he'll do. It's not like he won't get that same contract another year from now. He isn't really giving up anything by waiting other than "more money in the end" and with the nature of the sport, who knows how many years he'll last anyway. I really don't see the allure of rushing into the NFL if you can get the same thing in another year without Bradford breathing down your neck for #1 overall.

But I think in all likelyhood, if he joins the draft this year, next year we are talking about the St. Luis Ram's Jake Locker. That makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Edited by Medal of Honor

McShay and Kiper have him behind Bradford as the #2 QB. He has shown hugh improvement under Sark and combined with his athleticism his ceiling is higher than any QB in the draft my a mile -

You obviously haven't watched him this year have you??, he has improved tremendously, he looks great - and is a better passer and runner and athlete than Tebow. He is a much better pro prospect than Tebow - and that is why Locker will be top 5-10 and Tebow will be a 2-3rd rd pick

the sky is the limit for Locker

Tebow will be a first-rounder too. There are too many teams in the NFL who are in need of a QB.

No but all current successful QB's come out of college as accurate natural passers, minus maybe McNabb.

Think of the current best QBs--Warner, Brees, Brady, Mannings, Rodgers, Ryan, Cutler, Rivers

Think of the busts we have seen--A. Smith, Boller, V. Young, Q. Carter, J. Russell, Losman

The best QB's excel in terms of touch, accuracy, and reading defenses in order to get rid of the ball quickly

The busts all excel in terms of arm strength and athleticism.

Locker's strengths are in the second category. Bradford's lack of mobility will not hurt him because he gets rid of the ball SO quickly. He has "it". He just looks beautiful in the pocket and delivers the ball accurately and on-time. If he can stay healthy, I don't think he can miss if given a decent situation, which he has a better chance for now that he doesn't figure to be a top-5 type pick. I think he is the exception to the major college rule and would excel anywhere in the country.

Locker does have the mental makeup. He is a warrior that will refuse to fail. There is a chance that he can still learn mechanics and accuracy, and if anybody could learn these type of things along the way it would be a kid like Locker. I'm just scared of that accuracy, which is alarming given his baseball background. That said, arm strength and footspeed don't mean jack to the QB position. If he can't be accurate, he will not succeed, period.

Warner was a natural coming out of college? Really??? Then why did he end up stocking shelves at a grocery store and playing in the Arena league? And Rodgers looked pretty lousy during his brief stints his first two years. I believe it was his second year that I saw him come in against the Patriots. He looked totally lost.

It's generally true though not completely. Some QBs just need a little more time than others. You could have added Big Ben to the list, too. I think Locker has gotten better though and will be a good pro.

Edited by Crazysight

Warner was a natural coming out of college? Really??? Then why did he end up stocking shelves at a grocery store and playing in the Arena league? And Rodgers looked pretty lousy during his brief stints his first two years. I believe it was his second year that I saw him come in against the Patriots. He looked totally lost.

It's generally true though not completely. Some QBs just need a little more time than others. You could have added Big Ben to the list, too. I think Locker has gotten better though and will be a good pro.

That wasn't what I said. If you would have read Kurt Warner's bio out of college, it would have said that he was accurate and got rid of the ball quickly. Rodgers the same.

Tebow will be a first-rounder too. There are too many teams in the NFL who are in need of a QB.

no, he is not.

The only time Tebow will be playing QB in the NFL is in a wildcat formation. I think he may end up some kind of FB, wildcat QB hybrid

He will never be an every-down QB at the next level

Ok, today he looked like a QB that could use another year. Inaccurate and bad decisions.

I was looking for this thread today. Very poor performance against a defense that gave him plenty of opportunities. Today they say he got a quad banged up early in the game which was why he wasn't running as much, but it looked to me like he was reigning himself in and intentionally trying to pass the football rather than taking advantage of open holes.

Bottom line, with the weak group of QB this year, he would very easily be a 1st Round pick if he came out, but I don't think he's a top 10 guy unless he overly dazzles at the combine and in workouts. He could reasonably gamble and come back to be the #1 overall pick if he stuck it out another year, IMO. The point is this talk that he's the top QB coming out probably needs to settle down around Montlake, and nationally.

no, he is not.

The only time Tebow will be playing QB in the NFL is in a wildcat formation. I think he may end up some kind of FB, wildcat QB hybrid

He will never be an every-down QB at the next level

I agree... If there is one NFL player (or former player) that Tebow reminds me of, it's Mike Alstott. I'm not going to say that he'll never be an every-down QB in the NFL, as there are currently some FAR worse QB's starting in the NFL every week, but I could see him filling that FB/wildcat type of role nicely somewhere.

My issue is with the formula. Haven't we pretty much proven that timing, mechanics and accuracy are the most important pieces? Those happen to be Locker's three biggest weaknesses. Does anybody here want a guy like him to be your team's QB of the future?

You have been out of the country ...... he has improved significantly in all 3 categories

My issue is with the formula. Haven't we pretty much proven that timing, mechanics and accuracy are the most important pieces? Those happen to be Locker's three biggest weaknesses. Does anybody here want a guy like him to be your team's QB of the future?

You have been out of the country ...... he has improved significantly in all 3 categories

I've watched the first four games so far. Most of the time he gets rid of the ball quicker. He also shows touch on corner and post routes which I've never seen from him. He is more accurate on the shorter passes which is very positive. His deeper passes still tend to sail. Still, his biggest weakness as I see it is when his first option isn't open. His footwork and mechanics break down and he still gets antsy. He tends to stare at his first option, then maybe get to his second before he looks down at the rush and tries to escape. He can get away with that in college because he can outrun whoever is chasing him, then he can look downfield again.

You can't argue with his talent. He has arm strength to spare and his athleticism is elite. That said, he still has miles to go before he could think of being a successful NFL quarterback. There is a certain smoothness that elite passers have that he still doesn't. Not that he won't get there, but he isn't there yet. I pretty much think of him as a freshman in terms of development. This is his first year really being taught proper mechanics and running a real offense. He is still just so raw. Watch tape of Sanchez, Bradford, or even Claussen. They look so smooth when going through their progressions. He isn't there. He looks better, but I think a portion of that is playcalling. Sark actually gets some guys open for him, in particular his first option. HE made some very good throws in the Notre Dame game in particular. He's getting there but he still has quite a ways to go before I will be totally convinced that he is more like Steve Young than Vince Young.

Edited by Seahawks21

It will be very interesting come draft day.I see Clausen ascending to the highest pick.Locker after that and Bradford will be your falling star this year left sitting there by himself with all the cameras on him and Kiper saying "someone is going to get a steal in the late first or early second".

John Clayton just tackled the Locker question on ESPN 710 here Seattle. He basically mirrored my thoughts. I'll paraphrase. He said Locker is the best talent in the draft, but that doesn't mean that he is ready for NFL success. He thinks Bradford and Claussen are the most NFL ready QB's in college football. He said Jake still has a long ways to go in terms of accuracy and being able to bring a team back in the 4th quarter. He talked several times about how if Jake stays in school he should be the first QB taken next year, and how much more NFL ready he could be after another season of college.

Money is the x-factor here. If a team tells him he'll be a top-10 pick, he really has no choice but to come out, especially given his physical style and bad offensive line. However, coming out too year early could completely stunt his growth as a passer. We'll see.

he is a top 10 pick, I don't think there is any question. Scouts realize he is playing with sub-par WR's and he need more coaching.

He needs refinement fo sho, but once he gets to the combine and works out for teams he is going to blow them away with his tools. Now the question is if he has enough loot from his baseball signing bonus that it isn't as big of a deal and he can pull a Bradford and play his Sr. year, but we all saw how that turned out for Sam. Tough call

I do think Bradford is going to be outstanding in the NFL