[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish question

Ice717

Let me preface this by saying I am not a commish just curious as to what you guys think.

In my money league (fairly substantial it's in Henry Muto's realm), we had an owner quit a week before our draft. We lottery ball draft picks a month in advance because we can trade draft picks and want more money in the pot.

The guy that quit had #1 overall. So one of our guys said he had a buddy he would like to get in the league. The only thing I was worried about was the trading AP to the buddy who got him in the league.

Essentially a deal was done for AP between the two that I thought was suspect. Not gonna post the deal (unless asked) cause I'm not really looking for is this deal fair. The question I'm posing is what do you do when the guy first joins the league? Repicks even though deals were already done? Any advise is welcome!

There isn't enough information to say either way. Any trade between the two could fall under the appearance of collusion. But just because they are friends doesn't necessarily mean that it is collusion. If the deal was fair and reasonable at the time of the trade then what's the big deal. If it was really lopsided then you should have spoke up to the commish if not the league. But 7 weeks into the season is not the time to start raising that question. Just move on.

If your buddy got AP and the other guy is paid, it's really the same thing as if your buddy took over the other guy's team and gave the new guy his old team... either way someone has to get AP. I wouldn't have done this trade if I was the one pulling in the new guy, just because it may seem like collusion even though the deal was fair, but it's too late now. My son took over a team in my money league and he just assumed the other guy's team. Maybe you add a new rule that new teams can't trade the players before the draft, but save it for next year... water under the bridge.

Ok let me restate the question. I'm not interested in hearing if it's collusion or not and I am opposed to just about all vetoes. What would you guys do if a new guy joined the league knowing he was getting #1 overall pick? Redo picks regardless of deals made already? One friend suggested everyone moves up a slot and be gets last pick that sort of thing.

Ok let me restate the question. I'm not interested in hearing if it's collusion or not and I am opposed to just about all vetoes. What would you guys do if a new guy joined the league knowing he was getting #1 overall pick? Redo picks regardless of deals made already? One friend suggested everyone moves up a slot and be gets last pick that sort of thing.

I see no reason to redo the entire draft because one guy drops. I would be pissed if I was in the league and the order was changed. What difference does it make if the new guy or the guy that dropped had the #1 pick? It wasn't you so get over it.

Its only happened a couple times in leagues that I have been in. They kept the same draft position.

If you suspect the trade was fishy and if they indeed cheated, it wouldn't matter what spot they are in...they probably would have did it even if he was moved to a different spot. I wouldn't have added that in the original post.

Edited by Outshined

You mentioned you use a lottery ball system to determine the draft order. Assuming its weighted based on how well/poor the owner does the previous season, then I think you're only option is (as others have said) to have the new owner assume the position of the owner who has departed. No real way around it as far as I can tell.

Now, if the lottery is not weighted but rather completely random, then I think you absolutely should re-pick the order.

You mentioned you use a lottery ball system to determine the draft order. Assuming its weighted based on how well/poor the owner does the previous season, then I think you're only option is (as others have said) to have the new owner assume the position of the owner who has departed. No real way around it as far as I can tell.

Now, if the lottery is not weighted but rather completely random, then I think you absolutely should re-pick the order.

Even if it is random, why should they re-pick? So the guy who got #2 loses his pick because someone else drops out? Would you guys be saying you must repick if it was the last pick who dropped? I just don't see that it matters.

Even if it is random, why should they re-pick? So the guy who got #2 loses his pick because someone else drops out? Would you guys be saying you must repick if it was the last pick who dropped? I just don't see that it matters.

You're right that its not a hugh deal and it may not matter. I guess I am just of the opinion that (whenever possible) you should try to be consistent. The other 11 guys didnt know their slot when they signed up. The new guy shouldnt, either. There are guys out there who might only get in to the league if they know they have the #1 and there are guys who wont join if they know they'd be getting a middle or maybe last pick. In the interest of getting a new owner who really wants to belong long term and is not just hoping to parlay the first pick into some money, I'd say re-pick once all the owners are set. That would just be my opinion. You are not wrong in thinking it doesnt really matter too much, though, in most cases.