[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miles Austin debate

Cowboyz1

You all that are using the arguement of he put up all his numnbers against Poor Defenses, fine, but what other WR on other teams has put up numbers like that? So if these Defenses are so bad then why doesn't every team they play have a reciever go for 250 and 2 or 171 and 2?

KC

Week 1 Mark Clayton 77 Yds (BAL)

Week 2 Oakland they're sorry so they don't count but for info sake 28 yards was all they could muster

Week 3 DeSean Jackson 149 Yds (PHI)

Week 4 Steve Smith 134 Yds (NYG)

Week 5 Miles Austin 250 Yds 2TD (DAL)

Week 6 C. Cooley 57 yds (WAS)

Week 7 Vincent Jackson 142 Yds (SD)

ATL

Week 1 D. Bess 57yds (MIA)

Week 2 Steve Smith 131 Yds (CAR)

Week 3 Randy Moss 116 Yds (NE) Brady and Moss could only muster 116

Week 4 Bye

Week 5 J. Morgan 78 Yds (SF)

Week 6 Devin Hester 83 Yds (CHI)

Week 7 Miles Austin 171 Yds 2TD (DAL)

Answer: Dallas has a good passing game with Romo and co. and secondly, Austin is a darn good WR who is currently making plays with his hands and feet. Will he have bad days, yes but I will bet he get 100+ in at least 6 more games this year.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Because all 4 of his TDs were either a blown coverage or a missed tackle? :wacko:

Aren't ALL touchdowns based on a blown coverage or a missed tackle?

No safety help on any of his TDs. Let's give it a month or so is all I'm saying.

I hope you guys are selling high...

No way, baby! Enjoyin' my Kool-Aid. Drink up, brothers!

Kool-Aid and fresh horses for all my men. Make it so! :wacko:

I'm not sure there is much to debate... he's clearly the #1 WR on a pass-first offense that I would say is still in the top third of the league, strictly in terms of ability to score in bunches. I'm not going to say that he's bound for Canton, or anything crazy just yet, but he's clearly very physically gifted... reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Vincent Jackson.

Notice I said that he's the #1 WR, and not the #1 option... I still think, when push comes to shove, Witten is still going to be Romo's go-to guy. But, Austin appears to be a very nice complimentary WR, of the deep threat variety, who should be good for 50+ catches, 1000 yards, and 10 TD's. Heck, he's already halfway there, through slightly more than a third of the season.

Edited by Gopher

So if these Defenses are so bad then why doesn't every team they play have a reciever go for 250 and 2 or 171 and 2?

Er...in regard to KC.....because most teams are up so much, they don't pile on? I would guess more teams run all over KC than pass? Had Dallas been up by the normal 2 TDs over KC like everyone else is, Austin wouldn't have score the 2nd & 3rds of those long TDs.

In regard to ATL, Dallas was smart to continue to throw and score, because they knew Atlanta could put up 20+ points. Not rocket-science there, either.

That being said, Austin looks great and will only get better the more he learns how to beat NFL corners.

Their styles are far from similar...

Uhhh, okay. I'm not saying they're clones of each other... they're obviously different players. But, if Austin was to put on 15 pounds or so (which I'm guessing he will), they would be roughly the same size. In other words, they have similar body types, and big-play abilities. So, not that far off.

And, before you respond by saying that Jackson is 6'5" and Austin is 6'3", I will repeat that I understand they're not exactly the same player. But, you can not deny that they have similar frames and both possess big play-making abilities. To me, that's pretty obvious.

He's playing fast and catching the ball when it is thrown his way. I doubt teams are going to start scheming against him or rolling coverage, so I think it is very reasonable to expect solid numbers the rest of the way. I don't know that he is a top 7 type talent, but he is talented enough to get it done. For now that is all that is important. We'll learn the rest in the next year or two.

Uhhh, okay. I'm not saying they're clones of each other... they're obviously different players. But, if Austin was to put on 15 pounds or so (which I'm guessing he will), they would be roughly the same size. In other words, they have similar body types, and big-play abilities. So, not that far off.

And, before you respond by saying that Jackson is 6'5" and Austin is 6'3", I will repeat that I understand they're not exactly the same player. But, you can not deny that they have similar frames and both possess big play-making abilities. To me, that's pretty obvious.

Ochocinco has big play abilities too.

I have YET to see Miles Austin beat a #1 CB, double coverage, out-leap defenders, or blow past an entire secondary to make a reception. All of which VJ does routinely. VJ is now close to All-Pro level, Austin is nowhere close...

All four of Austin's TDs are borderline flukes against suspect secondaries. True he is strong and has good hands. He seems to run good routes. BUT. He is doing this with defenses paying all their attention to Witten and Williams. Let's see what he does with a little film out there on him. When the game-planning starts (probably this week), he won't have the luxury of catching a hook, beating one CB and running down the sidelines...

Ochocinco has big play abilities too.

I have YET to see Miles Austin beat a #1 CB, double coverage, out-leap defenders, or blow past an entire secondary to make a reception. All of which VJ does routinely. VJ is now close to All-Pro level, Austin is nowhere close...

All four of Austin's TDs are borderline flukes against suspect secondaries. True he is strong and has good hands. He seems to run good routes. BUT. He is doing this with defenses paying all their attention to Witten and Williams. Let's see what he does with a little film out there on him. When the game-planning starts (probably this week), he won't have the luxury of catching a hook, beating one CB and running down the sidelines...

You sir have obviously not been watching the games at all. He "out leaped" a defender who had possesion of the ball and took it away from him for a 40+ yard gain. Then beat double coverage last year (Al Harris I believe) in GB down the sideline for a score, then Out leaped a defender against Atlanta on an out route on the left sideline and toe tapped for another big gain. But ok, he has 8 more weeks to show what he can do and I'm betting he can play ball with anyone and against anyone. We will see though.

Did you really say that teams are covering Williams??? Witten yes, but did you really say Williams??? C'mon man, if you're gonna make an arguement at least be realistic. Why on earth would teams focus on Williams...the worst trade in recent history? 1st, 3rd 5th, for a guy who had one stinking good year, and who had all but said he was going to Dallas as a free agent!?!?!?! But nooooo...Jerry had to make a splash and throw away draft picks to have Williams for 10 games of nothing. Ok, i feel better now.

Miles will continue to be effective for two reasons :

1. he is a good Wr ( i wont say great yet after two games only but he did look very good in both of them )

2. Dallas does not have any other good wr at this time ...actually they dont have even an avg wide receiver after Miles

Miles will continue to be effective for two reasons :

1. he is a good Wr ( i wont say great yet after two games only but he did look very good in both of them )

2. Dallas does not have any other good wr at this time ...actually they dont have even an avg wide receiver after Miles

based on this, if NFL teams are as smart as you and I, Austin will start seeing some double-teams/rolling coverage....only then will we find out if he is the real deal, or just a very good WR2.