[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Single Malt Whiskey Suggestions

Big Country

I know there are a few fine whiskey/scotch/bourbon drinkers here.

My did is looking for something that is single malt, something perhaps a bit unique, and is willing to spend a fair amount on a bottle, but not a ton.

He wants to get a bottle for his mother's neighbor. He is apparently quite the collector and has asked my dad to come over at some point to taste a few. He also helps keep an eye on my grandmother, who lives in England, as she is aging and the health is starting to go a bit. My dad has been making it out there for a couple weeks at a time a few times a year, and his sister goes up to her house (about 5 hours away) fairly regularly, but this particular neighbor has been very helpful.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I know there are a few fine whiskey/scotch/bourbon drinkers here.

My did is looking for something that is single malt, something perhaps a bit unique, and is willing to spend a fair amount on a bottle, but not a ton.

He wants to get a bottle for his mother's neighbor. He is apparently quite the collector and has asked my dad to come over at some point to taste a few. He also helps keep an eye on my grandmother, who lives in England, as she is aging and the health is starting to go a bit. My dad has been making it out there for a couple weeks at a time a few times a year, and his sister goes up to her house (about 5 hours away) fairly regularly, but this particular neighbor has been very helpful.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Frickin newbs. Learn to use the search function :wacko::D

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=244562

I know Furd has weighed in with good info in some other threads on the topic as well.

Mortlach is still my go-to. Hard to find, but you can get it through Wally's.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Frickin newbs. Learn to use the search function :wacko::D

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=244562

I know Furd has weighed in with good info in some other threads on the topic as well.

Mortlach is still my go-to. Hard to find, but you can get it through Wally's.

Thank you, but hard to do from a blackberry

Laphroaig is one of my favorites

Laphroaig is somewhat of an extreme taste, and while I enjoy it I have found that many of the people that I know who have tried it do not care for it.

The person's taste is very important in the choice. Do you know some things that either has enjoyed?

When in doubt, I like to give Bushmills 16 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey. It's in the $65 range and it's very easy to drink. Very smooth and mello.

• 2 weeks later...
Any of the fine offerings from ARDBEG - the 10 year is better than most for ~ $50, but for something special double up and get the ARDBEG Airigh Nam Beist.... some add a splash, but I say keep it neat and enjoy one of the best.

When I was in Scotland at a tasting, the Scots derided the American idea of drinking straight whisky. They hold that a splash of water really opens up flavor and laugh that Yanks think they're somehow getting a truer whisky experience by drinking it "neat".

I'm undecided myself which I enjoy more flavor-wise, which I guess should really determine which way you go.

When I was in Scotland at a tasting, the Scots derided the American idea of drinking straight whisky. They hold that a splash of water really opens up flavor and laugh that Yanks think they're somehow getting a truer whisky experience by drinking it "neat".

I'm undecided myself which I enjoy more flavor-wise, which I guess should really determine which way you go.

did a pretty extensive tasting last year and tried everything with and w/out a drop or two of cold water. it definitely opened things up.

Edited by Bier Meister