[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MFL

i_am_the_swammi

I am sure there are...but I am guessing those situations are very very few and far between. Just a hunch, but my guess is that 99% of situations likely dictate that the average fantasy player would want the only available player at a given positon active for that week.

And if thats the case, I don't get why the program wouldn't be set-up as such.

In CBS, Yahoo! and ESPN leagues, when you click on "Set My Lineup", if you have no kicker or defense, you get a message that states "invalid lineup" if you are required to start a K or DEF. Additionally, if you have two kickers, and drop the one that had been starting the prior week, the other is naturally activated as he is the only one available to make your lineup "valid".

I think both are great ideas :wacko:

Then submit a feature request to MFL, however, you may be mistaken in Yahoo, as I had to activate my only remaining K this week after dropping the one that had been active the week prior as bye week coverage. So, either you are right and I had some strange Yahoo software glitch, or, you are wrong and FF owners are expected to put in their lineups.

Regardless of what should or should not be a default (and I prefer no default as others mentioned about having multiple options at positions where you pick a player up, so perhaps reprogramming for the instance where you only have one may not be as simple as you think), this is a common sense situation where an FF owner is responsible for verifying the accuracy of their starting lineup, and when one assumes that a program has made a change on their behalf, well... we all know what happens when you ASSume.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just me Columbo. I really don't even understand what you are looking for in posting this thread.

Not really looking for anything. Just thought it was a strange way to have a league management system set up to operate. I've been using MFL for 6 years, and its the 1st time its come up, so it is a very rare ocucrance to be sure.

I am certainly to blame for not double-checking my lineup...no question. But to be honest, I didn't even think about logging back on to make sure the FA kicker I picked up had to be activated into my lineup. I dropped the one that was active last week, and acquired another to take his place. Like BC said, i guess I just ASSumed the system would autmatically put the only player available at that position into my lineup, just as CBS, ESPN, and other leagues would. I have scoured MFL's site help, as well as my league's rules, and there is nothing I could find. And frankly, I still haven't had one reasonable explanation here as to why it doesn't do just that.

So to answer you question, I guess what I am looking for is some sane reason why MFL would choose to operate differently than most other league management systems in this regard. Maybe there is a great reason....I'd love to hear it.

it certainly appears that way. :wacko:

re-read my post....I did submit my line-up. I then dropped the only kicker I had on my roster, and picked up another. It never even occured to me that I had to go back into the "Submit Starting Lineups" page and activate the new kicker. Why would I?

This happens all the time. When you have a player in your starting lineup and then drop him, you no longer have a player in that spot. You (not anybody else or computer or MFL) has to put your new player into your lineup.

Not really looking for anything. Just thought it was a strange way to have a league management system set up to operate. I've been using MFL for 6 years, and its the 1st time its come up, so it is a very rare ocucrance to be sure.

Strange? Rare? Really?

As I see it, there are two ways to do it: 1) the entire starting lineup from the week before carries over; or 2) no starters carry over and you must submit a lineup every week.

I have never been involved in a league where the website selects starters for an owner on a piecemeal basis. That seems strange, rare and ill advised to me.

It was mentioned that there may be a good strategy to not starting the only player/option so as to take a "0". I would like to know what this strategy would be other than blatantly throwing a game? I punish owners that try to throw games by automatically giving them the the last pick of the lottery in our 12 team keeper league. I must be missing something, and Swammi, I do see your point. I believe you also know you should have checked.

It was mentioned that there may be a good strategy to not starting the only player/option so as to take a "0". I would like to know what this strategy would be other than blatantly throwing a game? I punish owners that try to throw games by automatically giving them the the last pick of the lottery in our 12 team keeper league. I must be missing something, and Swammi, I do see your point. I believe you also know you should have checked.

Here is the most basic example.

Let's say you have a 2 point lead heading into tonight's game.

Your opponent is done, no players left to go.

You still have a player to go, let's say your QB.

You can play him and hope he doesn't pull a Jake Delhomme from earlier this year and get negative points (for leagues that give negative points), or you can bench him, take the zero for the position and guarantee that you win.

This hold true for any position that it is possible to get negative points for (QB with INTs and fumbles, RB/WR/TE with negative yardage and fumbles, K with missed kicks, defenses giving up lots of points/yards).

Now, if your league does not give negative points, then the situation would never come up, and if your league does not allow you to change your lineup for player's that have yet to play, it would not come up.

As I said, it is a very specific set of scenarios that would warrant it.

Here is the most basic example.

Let's say you have a 2 point lead heading into tonight's game.

Your opponent is done, no players left to go.

You still have a player to go, let's say your QB.

You can play him and hope he doesn't pull a Jake Delhomme from earlier this year and get negative points (for leagues that give negative points), or you can bench him, take the zero for the position and guarantee that you win.

This hold true for any position that it is possible to get negative points for (QB with INTs and fumbles, RB/WR/TE with negative yardage and fumbles, K with missed kicks, defenses giving up lots of points/yards).

Now, if your league does not give negative points, then the situation would never come up, and if your league does not allow you to change your lineup for player's that have yet to play, it would not come up.

As I said, it is a very specific set of scenarios that would warrant it.

Gotcha.. :wacko:

A couple years ago I was winning my matchup by a couple points and still had Rex Grossman to play. I debated long and hard about sitting him and taking a zero at the QB spot, but I also was within reach of high points on the week (= $$) so I went ahead and played him. Sure enough, he scored a negative 6pts or something like that and I lost the game.

I shoulda went with my gut and benched him and taken the zero.

How's that example work for ya?

ETA - BC's example above my post is exactly it.

Edited by Cunning Runt

2 things:

1) What if you picked up your kicker and then picked up a second kicker an hour later. In your scenario, which would the website automatically start? Should it assume (after it already started the first one for you) that you want to switch?

2) I had a friend sit his only D one year because of the matchup and the potential to get negatve points.

For the record MFL is the worst league-management site I have used out of the 5 I've tried. I wish I could convince my friends to move away from it, but they are convinced it's great.

ESPN has my business if I commish a league.

I've used MFL, rtssports, and CBS; MFL is the best out of those three.

I watched an owner chose to leave in his QB for the MNF game with a 2 point lead, and basically a win if he benched his starting QB. His QB threw 1 TD for 6 points and 4 Ints for -8 points. Game ended in a tie when he netted -2 points. I thought he was a stand up guy to leave in his QB, but I'm wasn't so sure after it was over.

For the record MFL is the worst league-management site I have used out of the 5 I've tried.

I agree, though I've only used 4.

I've used MFL, rtssports, and CBS; MFL is the best out of those three.

No f'n way. MFL's waiver setup is a joke. Not b/c they don't insert a K for you, it just sucks. All other sites I've used rank free agent players by points scored. MFL just gives you a list and includes guys that have been out of the game for years.

All other sites I've used rank free agent players by points scored. MFL just gives you a list and includes guys that have been out of the game for years.

Maybe you don't know how to use the innernets? :wacko:

I'm in 4 different leagues on MFL; and they list free agents by points scored. You can sort by average points, total points, and points by week.

Edited by bushwacked

I agree, though I've only used 4.

No f'n way. MFL's waiver setup is a joke. Not b/c they don't insert a K for you, it just sucks. All other sites I've used rank free agent players by points scored. MFL just gives you a list and includes guys that have been out of the game for years.

Maybe you don't know how to use the innernets? :wacko:

I'm in 4 different leagues on MFL; and they list free agents by points scored. You can sort by average points, total points, and points by week.

+1

Reports/Player/Top free agents :D

MFL just gives you a list and includes guys that have been out of the game for years.

This is generally based on the options the commish has elected to use in the setup.

For just about every complaint i have seen about MFL, it is very often (not always, but a very good portion of the time) a function of how the commish has elected to set up the site.

MFL is a league mangement site, pure and simple. It is almost 100% customizable from the menu options, to appearance, to the functionality available to the owners.