[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts/Opinions on Steve Slaton benching....

QB1

Yeah, we'll see what happens moving forward, making sure to keep the ball safely tucked away next time. :wacko:

And what does the bolded statement mean? If you're going to fling crap against the wall, at least back your argument out with cogent facts.

My post was in response to Moats' situation in Philadelphia, and offered no commentary on today's effort.

My comment was simply saying that maybe Moats not getting more of a shot had more to do with him (his abilities) rather than the people in front of him. If you have it, they find a way to get you involved. And I certainly wouldn't use what he was able to do against the Bills as a true measuring stick. We'll see how he does moving forward. My only facts are that he hasn't been given much of a shot to this point as he hasn't been given more than 55 rushing attempts in any year and if the Eagles felt he was special, he would still be there. So my hypothesis was that Moats' lack of playing time has had more to do with who he is as a player and less to do with the other players on the roster. Will I be wrong? Maybe. Will I care if I am? Absolutely not.

ETA: And there's been no news from Kubiak to this point as to whether or not Slaton's benching is permanent or not. So maybe, Moats will get his chance to take the lead job for good. And his performance last week (regardless of who it was against) can only help his chances, especially cause he held onto the ball.

Edited by irish

My comment was simply saying that maybe Moats not getting more of a shot had more to do with him (his abilities) rather than the people in front of him. If you have it, they find a way to get you involved. And I certainly wouldn't use what he was able to do against the Bills as a true measuring stick. We'll see how he does moving forward. My only facts are that he hasn't been given much of a shot to this point as he hasn't been given more than 55 rushing attempts in any year and if the Eagles felt he was special, he would still be there. So my hypothesis was that Moats' lack of playing time has had more to do with who he is as a player and less to do with the other players on the roster. Will I be wrong? Maybe. Will I care if I am? Absolutely not.

ETA: And there's been no news from Kubiak to this point as to whether or not Slaton's benching is permanent or not. So maybe, Moats will get his chance to take the lead job for good. And his performance last week (regardless of who it was against) can only help his chances, especially cause he held onto the ball.

I kind of agree with this. Again add Moats (I did as a Slaton owner), but let's not act like this guy is something he isn't.

There is a reason he has been what he has been is whole career.

And people Slaton will NOT just disappear. I say again. Biggest thing out of yesteday is Moats will get touches now. Slaton will as well. Instead of getting 20 combined touches maybe he gets 15 or so. Moats gets 7-10 or so.

People acting as if we have un-covered this new gem, and Slaton is out watch out here comes Moats, are going overboard IMO.

Kubiak would not say whether Moats will start over Slaton moving forward. He did say of Slaton that he is "expecting him to come right back next week and help."

Moats and Slaton sit next to each other in the Texans' locker room, and they expressed mutual support for one another after the game. Slaton said that he was happy to see Moats "doing his thing."

Moats was asked what he said to Slaton after the game in what potentially could have been a very awkward conversation.

"I just tried to encourage him and tell him to believe in his talent," Moats said. "He is a good back, and he's going to be a great back. I told him this is the time when your heart shows. This is the time when you give it all you've got and come back in and do great things."

When it comes to perseverance, Moats would know. His message to Slaton could mirror as the story of his career to this point. Moats' heart showed plenty against the Bills, when he ran with decisive purpose and consistently broke tackles to gain extra yards.

If Moats keeps it up or comes remotely close to it, it'll be hard for Kubiak to keep him off the field.

Running back Steve Slaton

(On being benched in favor of Ryan Moats) "It's hard. You always want to go out there and be a part of the team game, but we rode the hot hand and Moats had a great game and got it done for us."

(On fumbling the ball again) "I mean it was just, a guy missed me, I was trying to cut across the field and he got a hand on the ball and it came out."

(On being on the sidelines rather than playing) "It's definitely frustrating. You always want to be out there and help your team win, but I mean my team needed me to support, so I gave 100% supporting."

(On watching Ryan Moats get it done against the Bills) "It was great. Ryan has been doing it all year, even last year, you know, coming in and doing his thing and he definitely did it today."

(On possibly losing his starting position) "Right now I'm just focused on the win, and we'll work on that next week."

Kubiak:

(On Steve Slaton) "I told Steve in the locker room to get his chin up. This team needs him playing well and making plays and I'm expecting him to come right back next week and help us."

....(and I grabbed Moats today).......

You can seriously pick up someone on Sundays while games are being played? So if someone went down with an injury, the first person to the computer could grab the backup?

Don't like that at all, but hey, it's your league. Whatever works for ya.

You can seriously pick up someone on Sundays while games are being played? So if someone went down with an injury, the first person to the computer could grab the backup?

Don't like that at all, but hey, it's your league. Whatever works for ya.

My league is the same way. I don't like it and hope to get it changed, but I damn sure will take advantage of it.

Kind of agree with this.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but it may not be ideal.

To me everyone has the same chance.

Both ways have pluses and minuses IMO.

I disagree. The best way to do FA pickups is through a blind bidding system first and then a FCFS period afterward. Everyone has an even chance of grabbing the top FAs available but at the same time have to be very careful as to how they use their blind bidding money. Best system I've ever used and most of the leagues I play in, use it. Being able to grab the top FA available just because you sit at your PC on Sundays is not fair for those people who choose to have a day out with their family.

Edited by irish

I disagree. The best way to do FA pickups is through a blind bidding system first and then a FCFS period afterward. Everyone has an even chance of grabbing the top FAs available but at the same time have to be very careful as to how they use their blind bidding money. Best system I've ever used and most of the leagues I play in, use it. Being able to grab the top FA available just because you sit at your PC on Sundays is not fair for those people who choose to have a day out with their family.

Hear you.

I like theblind bidding system as well.

My issue with the waivers is it's all based on record and some teams have NO shot at a player.

The blind bidding system elminates that.

I have that in one of my baseball leagues. I like that. Adds strategy into the mix.

Thank you to all who have replied and added their insights! Unfortunately I work 85 hours a week and haven't been able to take full advantage of this topic stream...

I am in a highly competitive semi big money 16 team PPR league... there was a $200 entry fee and we go blind bid on free agents, last week Shonn Green was picked up for $47!

I have Chris Johnson and Clinton Portis, so I need a little help at RB (luckily Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, and Burleson have kept me on top of my division)...

I'm contemplating picking up Ryan Moats for $58 and then trying to trade for Slaton so I can secure Houston's running game for the year....

Sorry I couldn't get on to get opinions on this, but my bid deadline is midnight tonight.... if anybody gets on before this I would appreciate the input!

Thanks again!

Thank you to all who have replied and added their insights! Unfortunately I work 85 hours a week and haven't been able to take full advantage of this topic stream...

I am in a highly competitive semi big money 16 team PPR league... there was a $200 entry fee and we go blind bid on free agents, last week Shonn Green was picked up for $47!

I have Chris Johnson and Clinton Portis, so I need a little help at RB (luckily Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, and Burleson have kept me on top of my division)...

I'm contemplating picking up Ryan Moats for $58 and then trying to trade for Slaton so I can secure Houston's running game for the year....

Sorry I couldn't get on to get opinions on this, but my bid deadline is midnight tonight.... if anybody gets on before this I would appreciate the input!

Thanks again!

I advise bringing this to the advice forum, as this is a team management question,

Edited by Big John