[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys vs. Eagles

Cowboyz1

Couple thoughts on what I honestly felt was a poorly played game on both sides of the ball. As some of the posts from during the game indicated with accuracy, neither team did anything special to win..rather, they waited for one to lose it, and the Eagles did just that.

1. 4th & 1...no one to blame but themselves. 4th & 1 would never have happened if they pick up the 1st down on 2nd & 1 or 3rd & 1. Short yardage has been a thorn in Reid's side for two eyars, and they finally addresed it in the offseason with Weaver. To not give him the ball once, in 3 opportunities, when he was picking up 4-6 yards every time he touched the ball, is sickening. Pathetic playcalling.

2. The injuries at key spots we ugly for the Eagles. While McCoy has some good runs, and one electic catch & run, he is no Westbrook, and dropped a couple screens in key spots. His blitz pick-up also needs work, as does his blocking. Losing Peters for a stretch of the game also hurt, and even after he returned, they had to use 2 TEs on numerous occasions to max protect. There were numberous times McNabb could have used a few extra seconds to allow his deep threats to get deep...he just didn't have the time. No Omar Gaither was also a problem, as he would have been matched-up with Witten on a number of routes that went to the right side of the field (including the clinching 1st doen catch). Samuel being ineffective in supporting the run defense at the most crucial part of the game wa also apparent.

3. Refs....no qualms whatsoever, You win and lose with what you do between the lines. The Ealges were basically given 4 points after the missed interference call in the endzone on Williams. You can't blame the refs on a poor spot (which was upheld)...no one knows when the whistel blew, and it certainly took mcnabb a number of seconds to slide forward. Hard to review, and certainly not conlusive.

4. Turnovers. Dallas's only two TDs came on short fields ( 1 of McNabbs INT, the other off the failed 4th & 1). You can't give your opponent half a field (or less in the case of the INT). Romo protected the ball better than he has in prior meetings, and looked very comfortable in negating the blitz by hitting his outlet receiver for short gains and properly-called screeens. Credit where credit is due...he played better than he has in season's past against the Eagles, and didn't try to win it by himself.

5. Coaching. Both looked like rookies last night. Reid's playcalling was poor at best. It was obvious to anyone watching that the Birds were having success running the ball.....yet they continued to be a pass-first offense even when it was apparent the OL was nt giving Mcnabb enough time to find open WRs. With a banged-up OL, you let them do what's easiest...run-block. While Phillip's didn't do anything spectacular or debilitating, the look on his face when he was informed the QBs entire body has to be accross the line of scrimamge was priceless. Is he anything more than a glorified cheerleader on the sidelines?

In a game that failed to live up to the hype or excitement, the Cowboys did just enough to win it...kudos to them for making less mistakes in a hostile enviornment, and for making just enough big plays to make a difference. The Eagles have lost Game 1 of this series in each of the last 3 years, only to win when it matters most....in December, when the playoffs are on the line. I have a feeling this year's rematch will have the same at stake, as neither team looks capable of making that last game meaningless.

Send me my sigline, Cowboyz1...round 1 to the Boys.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple thoughts on what I honestly felt was a poorly played game on both sides of the ball. As some of the posts from during the game indicated with accuracy, neither team did anything special to win..rather, they waited for one to lose it, and the Eagles did just that.

1. 4th & 1...no one to blame but themselves. 4th & 1 would never have happened if they pick up the 1st down on 2nd & 1 or 3rd & 1. Short yardage has been a thorn in Reid's side for two eyars, and they finally addresed it in the offseason with Weaver. To not give him the ball once, in 3 opportunities, when he was picking up 4-6 yards every time he touched the ball, is sickening. Pathetic playcalling.

2. The injuries at key spots we ugly for the Eagles. While McCoy has some good runs, and one electic catch & run, he is no Westbrook, and dropped a couple screens in key spots. His blitz pick-up also needs work, as does his blocking. Losing Peters for a stretch of the game also hurt, and even after he returned, they had to use 2 TEs on numerous occasions to max protect. There were numberous times McNabb could have used a few extra seconds to allow his deep threats to get deep...he just didn't have the time. No Omar Gaither was also a problem, as he would have been matched-up with Witten on a number of routes that went to the right side of the field (including the clinching 1st doen catch). Samuel being ineffective in supporting the run defense at the most crucial part of the game wa also apparent.

3. Refs....no qualms whatsoever, You win and lose with what you do between the lines. The Ealges were basically given 4 points after the missed interference call in the endzone on Williams. You can't blame the refs on a poor spot (which was upheld)...no one knows when the whistel blew, and it certainly took mcnabb a number of seconds to slide forward. Hard to review, and certainly not conlusive.

4. Turnovers. Dallas's only two TDs came on short fields ( 1 of McNabbs INT, the other off the failed 4th & 1). You can't give your opponent half a field (or less in the case of the INT). Romo protected the ball better than he has in prior meetings, and looked very comfortable in negating the blitz by hitting his outlet receiver for short gains and properly-called screeens. Credit where credit is due...he played better than he has in season's past against the Eagles, and didn't try to win it by himself.

5. Coaching. Both looked like rookies last night. Reid's playcalling was poor at best. It was obvious to anyone watching that the Birds were having success running the ball.....yet they continued to be a pass-first offense even when it was apparent the OL was nt giving Mcnabb enough time to find open WRs. With a banged-up OL, you let them do what's easiest...run-block. While Phillip's didn't do anything spectacular or debilitating, the look on his face when he was informed the QBs entire body has to be accross the line of scrimamge was priceless. Is he anything more than a glorified cheerleader on the sidelines?

In a game that failed to live up to the hype or excitement, the Cowboys did just enough to win it...kudos to them for making less mistakes in a hostile enviornment, and for making just enough big plays to make a difference. The Eagles have lost Game 1 of this series in each of the last 3 years, only to win when it matters most....in December, when the playoffs are on the line. I have a feeling this year's rematch will have the same at stake, as neither team looks capable of making that last game meaningless.

:wacko: Very well stated, but it is a step in the right direction to see Romo not trying to put it all on his shoulders. Baby steps here :D

Since your Ealgles played us tough and you at least sacked up and showed up for the bet AND your Phillies lost also, I will show Mercy.

Here is your Sig

The Cowboys are better then my Eagles. The Cowboys are a very good football team this year and Romo is an outstanding QB. GO COWBOYS

Since your Ealgles played us tough and you at least sacked up and showed up for the bet AND your Phillies lost also, I will show Mercy.

Here is your Sig

The Cowboys are better then my Eagles. The Cowboys are a very good football team this year and Romo is an outstanding QB. GO COWBOYS

Wow did you let him off the hook with that one. But kudos to swammi for not being a crybaby and realizing the bad calls went both ways.

Avernus, my two-week old son has a bigger sack than you. That's ridiculous dude.