[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football

BigMikeinNY

There should not be divisions in fantasy football. The best 4,6,8 teams (whatever) should make the playoffs. Not "division winners" and X number of wildcards.

(BigMike gets off his soapbox)

there doent need to be ,,, if you dont want it then dont join a league that has it.

i'm in three leagues with no divisions ,,, of course i'm also in several with divisions

There should not be divisions in fantasy football. The best 4,6,8 teams (whatever) should make the playoffs. Not "division winners" and X number of wildcards.

Let me get this straight...

You have a really good team.

Said team is not performing up to expected standards and you are losing by inches.

Other teams are performing better than expected and winning by inches.

The division you are in has said over performing teams.

You will be missing the playoffs (as projected at the moment) because of that.

That pretty much sum it up Mike? :wacko:

We use divisions to keep it more competitive. Teams that aren't playing so well still have a chance in leagues with divisions which, IMO, keeps other teams from losing interest 6 weeks into the season.

Points only leagues this is not the case.

I like H to H and divisions. I prefer leagues to mimic the NFL as much as possible. Division winners, wildcards. It may not be fair, but neither is the NFL. It helps create rivalries. I've found that most of the time, the teams that deserve to make the playoffs generally do in a fromat like this. Then, there is "any given Sunday".

I played in a total points league way back in the day, my first FF league. It was kinda dull. When that league went to H to H, it was more fun. It was a bar league, and the side bets and trash talking was great. It's a matter of preference. I would not play in a total points league.

Said team is not performing up to expected standards and you are losing by inches.

That pretty much sum it up Mike? :D

Hammer, meet nail. :wacko:

divisions breed rivalries, merciless taunting, and adds plenty of fun. I do everything I can to beat a division foe because the games add extra weight, just like the NFL.

in one league I'm 3-5 with the highest scoring team, 3 division foes are 6-2 ahead of me, but that's just the way it goes sometimes...

That pretty much sum it up Mike? :wacko:

+1

that's kinda what i was thinking.

I like H to H and divisions. I prefer leagues to mimic the NFL as much as possible. Division winners, wildcards. It may not be fair, but neither is the NFL. It helps create rivalries. I've found that most of the time, the teams that deserve to make the playoffs generally do in a fromat like this. Then, there is "any given Sunday".

I played in a total points league way back in the day, my first FF league. It was kinda dull. When that league went to H to H, it was more fun. It was a bar league, and the side bets and trash talking was great. It's a matter of preference. I would not play in a total points league.

good info here....

I like divisions because of the rivalries...it gives more personality to the league...

Fantasy Football among most things in life is not fair....we just have to deal with that...

I play in only one league that doesn't have the division set up. That is my family league and I will be proposing a change to that format for next season. I agree that it brings more spice into the game.

I played one season in a total points league and it sucked. My team wasn't great but middle of the pack. The top 2 teams broke away early and activity in the league faded shortly there after.

Why not have the best of both worlds? I am in a $$ league that pays 50% out to the top 3 point totals through the season and the other 50% to the top 3 teams in the playoffs. It actually works out nice. One year, I was 6-7 after the regular season but had far and away the most points. I just happened to play the high scoring teams a lot of weeks. I still ended up getting 25% of the pot for points.

My main league uses Performance Point Ranking System that is a high bred between head to head and total points league. Teams are split into 3 divisons with each team playing everyone once and divison teams twice. A win is given 5 points while he team with the high score in Offense and defence will receive 3 points. The next two teams in each category will receive 2.5 pts next two 2 pts and so on. The system still favors the team that wins the head to head games, but also rewards teams that played well but did not get the win. There has been a few years were the team winning the division had a worse record than the 2nd place team but had more PPR points. I really like this way of scoring. It rewards the better teams but still keeps everyone involved.

Edited by Sprtfan

:wacko:

“Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country’s refusal to accept him, well, I guess that’s more than most 21-year-olds can handle…Ogie Ogilthorpe!”

One of the greatest lines from one of the greatest movies of all time :D

Why not have the best of both worlds? I am in a $$ league that pays 50% out to the top 3 point totals through the season and the other 50% to the top 3 teams in the playoffs. It actually works out nice. One year, I was 6-7 after the regular season but had far and away the most points. I just happened to play the high scoring teams a lot of weeks. I still ended up getting 25% of the pot for points.

Not sure of the percentages, but we pay total points on the season (playoff weeks and week 17 included), 1st and 2nd place based on records in our 1 and only superconference, plus champ, runner up, 3rd and 4th. We like to spread the money around so that the good seasons are certaibly rewarded but so that more people can end up with something at the end.

Cumulative leagues may be the purest way to play it...but how boring!

To me, the fun of playing fantasy football is derived from talking crap to my buddies all week! Nothing is more fun than a close battle on monday night. Three minutes left, up by five, and your opponents QB just got the ball at their own 27. Even better if you're sitting there watching the game together. Now that is fun! You get nervous, sweaty palms, blood boiling. Cumulative leagues just don't have any of that. You set your lineup every week and that is about it.

Oh, yeah, divisions. I think it adds a little bit of strategy. If you are in a bad division, you can be more patient with good players that are underperforming. If you're in a good division, you need to get your butt in gear and make some moves right away if you start slow. I don't know that it adds a ton, unless you are in the same league with the same divisions which can create rivalries, but sure, why not?

Edited by Seahawks21

Cumulative leagues may be the purest way to play it...but how boring!

To me, the fun of playing fantasy football is derived from talking crap to my buddies all week! Nothing is more fun than a close battle on monday night. Three minutes left, up by five, and your opponents QB just got the ball at their own 27. Even better if you're sitting there watching the game together. Now that is fun! You get nervous, sweaty palms, blood boiling. Cumulative leagues just don't have any of that. You set your lineup every week and that is about it.

Perfectly stated . I agree 100 %

In fantasy baseball it's roto vs H2H. Roto is often over for half the teams less than halfway through the year. Points leagues = roto.

I can see the argument as I guess it truly determines the best team but without the H2H trash talking and fantasy rivalries it wouldnt be nearly as fun