[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Torn ACL's

takoboy

what's the recovery time on torn acl's, anybody w/ medical knowledge. are football players able to make a full recovery in less than 10 months time. i know brady had a little trouble at the start of this year. should we expect owen daniels to not be fully recovered until 2011 or maybe later in 2010.

Thanks for replies

seems to me that it takes a little more than a year. I think the healing process takes about 10 months, however it's in the players mind. I mean Brady is doing much better this season than I expected. Palmer struggled the year following his ACL. Edge in Indy struggled the year following his ACL injury.

I'd love to see Daniels make a full rcovery and not look back.

Comparing QBs recovery to RB or WR is apples and oranges, but for skill positions like RB and WR I expect 2 years until they are totally back to form. Daniels will probably play next year but it will be a year where he's getting his feel back. The lone exception to this was last year when Ronnie Brown did much better than expected in his first year after a torn ACL. Not sure if he was the exception or if medical procedures and technologies have improved that much - probably a little of both.

Physically you can be ready at 6 months. Meaning your knee will be as strong or stronger pre-surgey. The mental part takes longer for some people.

Speaking as one who has actually had the sugery, this is total BS, although dick has a point about the mental aspect. Somewhere between 1 - 2 years is right, depending on the individual and thier work ethic.

First hand knowledge, here was my experience:

We had to wait 2 weeks for the swelling to go down before we could do the surgery.

Had surgery early in the morning. Therapists were in my room that afternoon getting me to start on crutches and start getting range of motion back. After 2 days in the hospital, doctor took out the sack which was draining blood from my knee. This was inserted through the quad muscle and hurt like h-e-double-hockey stix when he yanked it out. (the 'ol "count to 3", but yanks it out on 2)

Then physical therapy just to get range and some strength back was about 6 months. Let me tell you how much fun getting range is back - therapist literally forcing bottom of my leg to go back (laying on stomach while she forced my foot in direction of rear-end). I still swear I heard scar tissue ripping - I know I felt it! Then its on to a machine, a glorified stationary bike, which somewhat pedals for you to help increase range of motion. Then they start adding resistance to start building up strength slowly.

Then comes the real tough part. The muscles around the knee atrophy, and my right leg (which was operated) was noticeably smaller than my left (non-dominant). Have to wear a brace when playing sports forever now. The strength doesn't really come back, even if you work like crazy, for a good year or so.

In retrospect, my left knee which was scoped in high school, was a cakewalk.

Mentally, VERY draining and tough. But "you gotta do what you gotta do".

Thank you astroturf.

Speaking as one who has actually had the sugery, this is total BS, although dick has a point about the mental aspect. Somewhere between 1 - 2 years is right, depending on the individual and thier work ethic.

I've had it too, so it's not BS. I had an ACL reconstruction, and i was able to play my sport (soccer) almost 6 months to the day of my surgery. All of the tests I had to go through indicated my knee and surrounding muscles were stronger than pre-op.

So I HAVE been there. :wacko:

First hand knowledge, here was my experience:

We had to wait 2 weeks for the swelling to go down before we could do the surgery.

Had surgery early in the morning. Therapists were in my room that afternoon getting me to start on crutches and start getting range of motion back. After 2 days in the hospital, doctor took out the sack which was draining blood from my knee. This was inserted through the quad muscle and hurt like h-e-double-hockey stix when he yanked it out. (the 'ol "count to 3", but yanks it out on 2)

Then physical therapy just to get range and some strength back was about 6 months. Let me tell you how much fun getting range is back - therapist literally forcing bottom of my leg to go back (laying on stomach while she forced my foot in direction of rear-end). I still swear I heard scar tissue ripping - I know I felt it! Then its on to a machine, a glorified stationary bike, which somewhat pedals for you to help increase range of motion. Then they start adding resistance to start building up strength slowly.

Then comes the real tough part. The muscles around the knee atrophy, and my right leg (which was operated) was noticeably smaller than my left (non-dominant). Have to wear a brace when playing sports forever now. The strength doesn't really come back, even if you work like crazy, for a good year or so.

In retrospect, my left knee which was scoped in high school, was a cakewalk.

Mentally, VERY draining and tough. But "you gotta do what you gotta do".

Thank you astroturf.

What I said, with more words. :wacko:

Man, folks are touchy this morning. Must have been a bad night for the Obammy fans. :wacko:

1) please, pretty please, do NOT consider me anything related with NObama. please. with sugar on top.

2) you could have left the post as it was and not included a comment. I went into detail to try and help people who have not been through it understand what happens during the process, so it is not "what you said".

3) today is day #1 for me quitting smoking, so yes, I am somewhat on edge. i apologize for that.

have a great Wednesday!

respectfully submitted,

LK04

Now I'm off to go meet Ricky and party like a rock star.

Don't worry about it. Notice he completely ignored MY experience since it refuted his argument.

I played soccer too for about 15 years. was playing indoor when my knee blew out and up to the size of a cantaloupe. I swear I heard it pop, and would have sworn somebody hit me from the side - I apparently screamed "WHO HIT ME?!??!" and everybody was saying "nobody". simply changing directions while marking up on D and KABLOOEY. friggin astroturf. burn it all.

only "good" thing is I can now tell you when a new weather front is coming through, especially when it's going to rain/snow. holy aches batman... needless to say this is a subject I have more knowledge about than I care to have (not that I'm some kind of expert on anything).

Needless to say, I do feel for Daniels and anybody who has to go through it or has gone through it.

It's not likely that OD gets back to his old self for next season. Brady (still struggling, it would appear) was injured in week 1 last year. Another week 1 injury was Nate Burleson. He came back in 11 months and doesnt even wear a brace now. But this seems to be considered a very fast recovery and return to full-time status for a WR.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seah...601_hawk14.html

Even if OD matches the 11 months to full recovery time frame, that gets into week 5 or 6 of next season. Sad to see it happen to a rising star. Good luck to all.

they ALL say the same thing... every player thinks that they're 100% after a year and they all admit a year after that point that they were not.

100% agree.

I love Denver. one of my best friends lives out there. first year in many I have not made it out. he and his family live near 25 and 225.

patronize Specialty Wood Products if you need lumber products.

No way! You know the MacPherson's?!

no, not the owners. just the guys who run SWP - their Pres, his brother, and sales guy. went to college with their HR/IT VP. and got to know the other guys I mentioned there through him. totally cool guys. went out to the Raven up in Keystone (if i remember correct) for my friend's bachelor party for a golf outing a couple of years ago. i do miss staying with my friend's still single hot sister while i'm out there though. :D

I miss my annual outing to blackhawk. :wacko:

I had ACL reconstruction too and what I can tell y'all is... my experience does NOT matter.

Wanna know facts? Just listen to former NFL players on NFLN, ESPN, radio, they ALL say the same thing... every player thinks that they're 100% after a year and they all admit a year after that point that they were not.

Next time they talk about it, listen closely.

This is all I was trying to say. 6 months is crazy unless you are a very unusual specimen. Sorry if I pissed anybody off. I really need to stop coming here and posting anything after an 18 hour poker tournament.......or stop drinking beer for 18 hours at a time.... :wacko:

Can't we all just get along? :D