[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Brett Favre Poll

DMD

Brett Favre the Anti-Packer  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Favre changed in the last year or two?

• No - He's one of the greatest QBs ever
    • No - never cared either way about him
    • Yes - I like him more
    • Yes - I like him less

Put aside all the ridiculous hype and blathering of announcers and sportswriters.

Consider only that he is a record holding quarterback and an icon (of what is your choice).

Think about what you would have thought had he just retired as a Packer versus him playijng for two more teams and in particular going to a divisional rival of his old team and then going into their stadium, being booed and yet beating the fans that had supported him for so long.

Has your opinion of Favre changed?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It changed this year for sure. He is having a terrific year and the Monday night game vs the pack was an absolute QB clinic. He would have had much more hardware in his career but couldnt beat Dallas in the early 90's.

I voted: "No - He's one of the greatest QBs ever". I love watching him play the game. I went to what I thought was going to be his last year in Arrowhead two years ago. It may still be, but it was a joy watching him play.

I must say, Favre being booed by most of the Packers fans this past week was very suprising to me. I mean the guy was the face of the franchise for like 73 years! If it weren't for Favre, would the Packers really have been relevant all those years he was there?

While he is now playing for the team that the Packers hate the most - I still think Favre deserved cheers from the fans of his former team.

I am curious however to see how many more times this guy will retire and then come back. Will anyone believe he is truly going to retire next time? Or will it just be another media frenzy?

And for what it's worth, those Sears commercials are hilarious. "I'll take it... Well, I'm not sure."

My opinion of him has totally changed as a Vikings fan.

I used to totally hate him, but I always respected him as one of the best QB's ever!

Now I love him, but have lost almost all respect for him even while I still acknoledge that he is one of the best ever.

Personally, I have to separate the on-field guy from the off-field guy. On the field he is proving this year that he is not done, and that he is still one of the top QB's in the game. Slam-dunk 1st-ballot HOF.

Off the field, I have lost a lot of respect for him because of the way he treated the Packers for a couple years, holding them in limbo while he decides what he's going to do, instead of allowing them to prepare one way or the other. I don't blame the Packers for cutting ties with him, they just needed to not let him hold them hostage every spring. I also lost some respect for him with his moves to NY and Minn. Seems to be very ego-centric and stunned when people dare criticize him or even question him. He always has that "Do you know who I am?" look on his face.

My totally biased view...i like him more. I always knew he was a great QB, but have really gotten more of a chance to really watch him as a Vikings fan. The guy is a competitor. I don't really give a rip about all that off field stuff. Sure he didn't handle it as well as he could of, but of the guy i've seen off the field since becoming a Viking I have no problems with him. I think some people are just a little bitter and are viewing him from a differently slanted bias, but that's just me.

Does it not challenge your sense of the game, of what the NFL is about to see a player who could not only arguably be considered the greatest Packer playuing on their field under a hail of boos and find a thrill in beating the very fans that had for so long nearly worshipped him?

Is there a player more closely associated with their team than Favre the Packer (arguably less now though).

I thought him playing in NYJ last year was just a selfish desire to bury records but he certainly has the right to play if he wants. This year it bothered me to see him smirking on the sideline wearing a Vikings uniform and beating the Packers. It's like Patton opting to switch sides at the end of his career and beating the U.S. using the german army.

IMO it lessens his legacy in my eyes. He was an icon of the gunslinger QB. If I lived in Green Bay, I'd be taking down his street signs and mailing them to Minnesota to see if they wanted them. Not sure why it bothered as much as it did but it just seemed really wrong to me.

My problem with Favre... maybe it's more of a problem with the media and others that idolize him... is that no other player would get away with what he's pulled in the past few years.

If this guy was the consummate pro, gamer, and teammate then why leave an entire franchise in limbo? For most other guys, it would be 'show up, or else.' The obvious response is 'Favre isn't just any guy, he's one of the greatest QBs ever.' Fine, but let's stop pretending he embodies everything awesome in football ever.

The NFL is a business. I'm not sure why fans just expect players should show complete loyalty to one team their entire career when teams can and do cut them at will every year. It's a two sided street. It's not like the Packers wanted Brett to stay in GB behind center. They were moving on with Rodgers. I don't see why Brett couldn't move on to a different team if he didn't feel like he was done playing.

Again, I'm not condoning how it all went down. No need to rehash all of that for the billionth time. He handled it poorly. Time for all parties to move on. Especially Green Bay fans who can't seem to even though they have a pretty darn good QB already in place to move on with.

I voted No - He's one of the greatest QBs ever. There have been times when I liked him less this year such as right after he announced that he was going to stay retired. There have been times when I liked him more this year as well. But he's always been one of the greatest competitors in the league and that hasn't changed about him this year.

Let's keep in mind that if Brett had simply stated at the end of each season that he couldn't wait to get to work next season, he'd still be a Packer.

Edited by STL Fan

Personally, I have to separate the on-field guy from the off-field guy. On the field he is proving this year that he is not done, and that he is still one of the top QB's in the game. Slam-dunk 1st-ballot HOF.

Off the field, I have lost a lot of respect for him because of the way he treated the Packers for a couple years, holding them in limbo while he decides what he's going to do, instead of allowing them to prepare one way or the other. I don't blame the Packers for cutting ties with him, they just needed to not let him hold them hostage every spring. I also lost some respect for him with his moves to NY and Minn. Seems to be very ego-centric and stunned when people dare criticize him or even question him. He always has that "Do you know who I am?" look on his face.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

+1

He is one of greatest QBs of all time. No doubt.

As a Packer fan that was at the game last week, I clapped for him when he came out as a team captain, and then booed like hell once the ball was kicked off. I am a PACKER FAN before I am a fan of any individual player. Especially if that player is playing for a bitter rival in a divional game. I really dont know how someone can fail to see the reasoning behind this and be "shocked" when Packer fans boo an opposing team, no matter WHO plays for them. He will be inducted into the HOF as a Packer, and get his number retired by the Packers, despite what has happened the last 2 years.

+1

He is one of greatest QBs of all time. No doubt.

As a Packer fan that was at the game last week, I clapped for him when he came out as a team captain, and then booed like hell once the ball was kicked off. I am a PACKER FAN before I am a fan of any individual player. Especially if that player is playing for a bitter rival in a divional game. I really dont know how someone can fail to see the reasoning behind this and be "shocked" when Packer fans boo an opposing team, no matter WHO plays for them. He will be inducted into the HOF as a Packer, and get his number retired by the Packers, despite what has happened the last 2 years.

This is how Kurt Warner is treated in STL when he returns with the Cardinals. He gets a really nice hand when he gets introduced or when he takes the field for the first time and he tips his cap (helmet, I guess) and acknowledges the fans. Once the ball is kicked, though, he's the bad guy and he knows and understands that.

I don't think it is possible to objective about Favor. You either like him or you don't and all the bs of the last few years and, the rehashing of said bs, really doesn't apply.

If you are good enough to be a starting QB for 20 or 30 years you are going to break records whether you want to or not. That's all it is... longevity.

My outlook on Favor has never changed. Guy really doesn't have any honor. He is only for himself. That is how I have always perceived him and how he has acted the last few years has just reinforced it from my point of view.