[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Brett Favre Poll

DMD

Brett Favre the Anti-Packer  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Favre changed in the last year or two?

• No - He's one of the greatest QBs ever
    • No - never cared either way about him
    • Yes - I like him more
    • Yes - I like him less

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I did not vote - yes my opinion of him has changed but yes he is one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Someone above mentioned they don't understand how people can say it is bad for Packer fans to boo him - he is the face of the franchise.

Those people are not Packer fans and you can just see from all of the topics and the number of posts in each topic that the Packer franchise and the Packer fans are in a league by themselves. There is no franchise like the Packers and Favre was the face of the franchise. The fans here are insanely passionate and the smart Packer fans understand that he held the team hostage and the smart Packer fans realize that and hold it against him. Between 90-100% of the fans that are booing him will welcome him back to retire his number with cheers but at this point he screwed with the Pack and with that you get booed - plain and simple.

If you are good enough to be a starting QB for 20 or 30 years you are going to break records whether you want to or not. That's all it is... longevity.

Oh, that's just ridiculous.

Obviously the yds and...er, ints :wacko: and to SOME extent TDs are due to longevity, but that's part of the point - he's been so good for so long that he is able to build up those sorts of records.

If you look at the number of times he's been top 2 or 3 in passer rating, tds, etc it's pretty apparent he has been FAR from a compiler. Not saying that he hasn't had "compiling" as a goal in the past, but he's performed at a pretty consistently high level over a long period of time.

Oh, and I'm one of those who can't argue with his between the lines accomplishment but think he's pretty well revealed himself to be a bit of a monster truck aficionado when it comes to handling things....never mind the whole GB vs Favre deal - at which point, there was a SIGNIFICANT part of Packer nation that supported Favre - but the whole manner in which he weaseled himself away to the Jets and onto the Vikings was the true clincher.

Of course, whether I love or hate him or respect him or not, he's still going to the Hall of Fame. :D

Someone above mentioned they don't understand how people can say it is bad for Packer fans to boo him - he is the face of the franchise.

No kidding....guys like, oh, Lambeau, Lombardi, Huston, Nitschke, and Starr might have a little something to say about that "Brett Favre IS the Packers!" mentality.

At least, Starr might. The others probably wouldn't say much because they're dead.

It changed this year for sure. He is having a terrific year and the Monday night game vs the pack was an absolute QB clinic. He would have had much more hardware in his career but couldnt beat Dallas in the early 90's.

You mean he has never beaten Dallas in Dallas. He's long been the cowboys bitch.

Admired the hell out of the guy forever. The last two years have definitely changed my opinion of Favre, the person. Dragging the off season stuff out until the very end. I'm not playing, I'm playing...just to stay in the headlines regularly. I still love watching him play but yeah...I pretty much dislike him now.

This year it bothered me to see him smirking on the sideline wearing a Vikings uniform and beating the Packers.

I was more bothered by the boo's.

Considering the guy put that franchise back on the map and eventually led them to another Super Bowl title, I might have had a little more appreciation if I was a Packers fan. (Believe it or not, there are some franchises out there that haven't ever been to a Super Bowl, let alone won it.)

The smirk didn't bother me. He was being boo'd. 8000 cameras were on him. What was he supposed to do? He did what great players/leaders do. He gave it a little smirk to show his teammates he wasn't bothered by it, and then led them to victory. Was he supposed to roll over and play dead so the Packers could feel better?

The off the field saga definitely got old, but I gotta put some of that blame on the media. The 24 hour a day tv/internet/radio etc reporting makes stories get old real fast. Then add in the fact that it was so heavily reported because of who he was and I could see how that could wear on people's opinion of him. (Just curious, did the Bulls fans boo MJ when he came back as a Wizard after coming out of retirement?)

Bottom Line this guy is one of the greatest to play the game. The resume speaks for itself:

Super Bowl Champion

3 time League MVP

10 time Pro Bowler

(Per Wikipedia)

As of Week 6 of the 2009 regular season, Favre owned or shared most of the well-known NFL career records for quarterbacks, including:

Career regular-season victories by a starting quarterback: 176 (Regular-season record: 176-101)

Career passing touchdowns: 480

Career passing yards: 67,052

Career pass completions: 5,894

Career pass attempts: 9,536

Career games with at least three touchdowns: 68

Career games with at least four touchdowns: 21 (tied with Dan Marino)

Seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 8

Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 5

Seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 17

Consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 17

Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history. Most recently, he set the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions.

Edited by myhousekey

Does it not challenge your sense of the game, of what the NFL is about to see a player who could not only arguably be considered the greatest Packer playuing on their field under a hail of boos and find a thrill in beating the very fans that had for so long nearly worshipped him?

I think back to when fan favorite Torii Hunter left the Twins in FA to sign a better deal with the Angels. We got Gomez and Span so they're going to be good in their own right and have proven themselves to an extent. Still, they're not Torii in many ways and it showed in fast first round exit to the Yanks, not to mention the locker room and community. However, when Torii made his return we applauded him because we understood that any blame needs to be place on the owner and the GM. They're the ones that tried to get him to take a BS lowball offer and he did the right thing for himself.

The same can be said for Favre, and Favre meant so much more to the GB fans and community. Sure he should have never said that he was going to retire but when he's prepared to report to training camp on time, you take him! I'm just floored at the response TT gave him.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' And Ted was just about shattered," Favre said in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141)

You gotta wonder what would have happened if Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause would have said to Jordan, "Nope, sorry, that ship has sailed. We have Ron Harper now." Jordan even came back in the middle of the season! Yet everyone is still mad at Favre!? He even said he'd compete for the starting job. After all he has done for the team, it's city, and it's fans how do you not owe him at least that when he wants to report to training camp on time. Place the blame right where it belongs, on McCheeseburger and Vampire Thompson. If you agree with the move they made then any attempt to vilify Brett seems nothing more then another attempt to justify a move that replaces the face of your franchise. It's funny that the fans own the team because then they are partially to blame for it as well.

I thought him playing in NYJ last year was just a selfish desire to bury records but he certainly has the right to play if he wants. This year it bothered me to see him smirking on the sideline wearing a Vikings uniform and beating the Packers. It's like Patton opting to switch sides at the end of his career and beating the U.S. using the german army.

I think your analogy is too extreme and unfair. He was denied from playing in his home by a management that chose OTAs over 16 years of awesome. So he's going to play somewhere.

Why does everyone feel he should retire because that was the only other option the pack gave him. His obvious choices are to play with what he knows, not only the system but also the people. That gives you the Bucs and Vikes. He tells the Packers as much and they trade him to NY for their own selfish reasons that was obvious with the inclusion of the poison pill clause. NY isn't everything he hoped it would be and you can see he was out of his element, not to mention he fears his throwing arm is shot. So he calls it quits again, but he's got his good buddies "Chili and Darr" pestering him all summer to come play for their team. He gets his arm fixed and then in one last shot after horrible QB play all camp, Chili gives him a call and he takes it only after learning he made the wrong choice earlier and thinking it was over.

Everyone is all bent out of shape that he's on the Vikes but this is really the only option he had and it's almost too perfect of a situation, so why should he not take it once he knew his arm was not going to be a problem? Brett joining the Vikings was the most obvious conclusion to the Packers moving in another direction at QB, and TT knew that and did everything to prevent that but failed.

So, for all you Brett haters in GB are you really just angry to see that TT failed and it's all playing out like a train wreck to you in slow motion because he's in the perfect situation that directly screws the team that screwed him?

I don't think he is the greatest ever, but he is one of the greats, and nothing he has done has changed my opinion of him. I think Green Bay forced him out in a way, and are as much if not more to blame for what has happened the last few years as Favre is.

ETA: He is one of my favorites to watch as well. It is fun to see a professional athlete get as much joy out of playing as he does. I never will forget him throwing snowballs at Donald Driver.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I think your analogy is too extreme and unfair. He was denied from playing in his home by a management that chose OTAs over 16 years of awesome. So he's going to play somewhere.

Why does everyone feel he should retire because that was the only other option the pack gave him.

That is total BS! He retired and the club moved on with another QB. This other QB worked his ass off to get in synch with his receivers as the receivers did with him. The Pack absolutely made the right move by sticking with someone who didn't hold the team hostage. They told Favre that if you come back, you'll be a backup to the person that has stayed here and worked hard to be the starter. Favre said no. Tough luck. I'm a huge Bronco fan and if Elway would've pulled the same crap, I would hope Denver would've responded the same. Just because the Vikings decided it was okay for Favre to hold them hostage doesn't mean that it was the right thing. This is purely about Favre's ego. Is he still a good QB? So far yes! Will he hold up the whole season, I have my serious doubts.

I frankly don't care if he retires or not. Go ahead and keep playing until he's 50. Have fun, but this off season BS of retiring and unretiring is rediculous. It's beginning to make me hope the prick gets hurt and that's bad place to be as a fan of the NFL.

I think back to when fan favorite Torii Hunter left the Twins in FA to sign a better deal with the Angels. We got Gomez and Span so they're going to be good in their own right and have proven themselves to an extent. Still, they're not Torii in many ways and it showed in fast first round exit to the Yanks, not to mention the locker room and community. However, when Torii made his return we applauded him because we understood that any blame needs to be place on the owner and the GM. They're the ones that tried to get him to take a BS lowball offer and he did the right thing for himself.

The same can be said for Favre, and Favre meant so much more to the GB fans and community. Sure he should have never said that he was going to retire but when he's prepared to report to training camp on time, you take him! I'm just floored at the response TT gave him.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' And Ted was just about shattered," Favre said in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141)

You gotta wonder what would have happened if Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause would have said to Jordan, "Nope, sorry, that ship has sailed. We have Ron Harper now." Jordan even came back in the middle of the season! Yet everyone is still mad at Favre!? He even said he'd compete for the starting job. After all he has done for the team, it's city, and it's fans how do you not owe him at least that when he wants to report to training camp on time. Place the blame right where it belongs, on McCheeseburger and Vampire Thompson. If you agree with the move they made then any attempt to vilify Brett seems nothing more then another attempt to justify a move that replaces the face of your franchise. It's funny that the fans own the team because then they are partially to blame for it as well.

Why does everyone feel he should retire because that was the only other option the pack gave him. His obvious choices are to play with what he knows, not only the system but also the people. That gives you the Bucs and Vikes. He tells the Packers as much and they trade him to NY for their own selfish reasons that was obvious with the inclusion of the poison pill clause. NY isn't everything he hoped it would be and you can see he was out of his element, not to mention he fears his throwing arm is shot. So he calls it quits again, but he's got his good buddies "Chili and Darr" pestering him all summer to come play for their team. He gets his arm fixed and then in one last shot after horrible QB play all camp, Chili gives him a call and he takes it only after learning he made the wrong choice earlier and thinking it was over.

Everyone is all bent out of shape that he's on the Vikes but this is really the only option he had and it's almost too perfect of a situation, so why should he not take it once he knew his arm was not going to be a problem? Brett joining the Vikings was the most obvious conclusion to the Packers moving in another direction at QB, and TT knew that and did everything to prevent that but failed.

So, for all you Brett haters in GB are you really just angry to see that TT failed and it's all playing out like a train wreck to you in slow motion because he's in the perfect situation that directly screws the team that screwed him?

I stopped reading when I realized you were comparing the Tori Hunter situation with Favres situation. You have got to be kidding me. The two situations are not alike at all!!

Ys, my opinion of him had changed. He is a worry wart bag. I can't stand him. I think he has proved himself to be a complete and total phony. I will never believe a word he says nor would I ever don any merchandise that has his name.

That being said, he is a lock for the HoF and will go down as one of the all time greatest QBs ever.

The funny thing is, I have also come to hate a lot of announcers and writers (Madden, King, the entrie Sunday football talking heads) because in their eyes, Favre did no wrong. Which is bullpoopy. I am not saying he is 100% to blame, but come on. Don;t give the guy a pass because he is Favre. If this were a lesser QB (I know it would not happen then) or a QB no one likes (Jeff George?), the media would crucify him. But Favre.....well, let's say I beleive this is another reason a lot of people turned on Favre over the past two years.

You can always count on the Onion to nail it...

GREEN BAY, WI—Brett Favre beat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday for the second time this season, his decisive 38-26 victory exacting some small measure of revenge for the adulation and hero worship heaped upon him by the city of Green Bay and the entire state of Wisconsin for the better part of two decades. "It feels good to finally get retribution from the team that gave me my first chance to start, believed in me despite the pitfalls of my early career, and ensured I will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer," Favre said at a postgame press conference. "And to do it in front of those fans, who unconditionally loved me through thick and thin while I struggled with a Vicodin addiction and disastrous interceptions, just made it that much sweeter. Sixteen long years of devotion, and they're finally getting what they deserve." Favre mentioned that when he does retire, he is looking forward to "really sticking it" to the wife and daughters whose loving presence has been the one constant during his playing career.