[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

beef tongue

peteteacher2001

Beef tongue may be among the most underapreciated cuts of beef out there. Great flavor and super tender. I love the hell out of that stuff. My dad an I used to boil up a tongue and eat with a jar of Herdez Salsa Verde all the time. My mom and sister were grossed out by the notion so we didn't have to share.

Fine seque, because that's still the best way I've had it.

Step one: Boil it in salted water with pickling spice (some combo of black pepper, allspice, bay leaves, garlic...). Of course, once it come to a boil, turn it down and cook it slowly. For a decent size tongue, you're talking at least an hour, likely two. You need to cook it long enough so that you can easily peel the outer membrane off it, so that's a good test.

At this point, it is also completely cooked, so anything else you do to it is just for flavor. None the less. Remove from heat, allow to cool enough to handle and peel all the outer membrane off it. Nearly all of the membrane is on the tongue itself, not on the fattier back portion (which, btw is the best part). At any rate, once peeled, slice it against the grain into inch thick slices and then cut those down into bite size cubes (or leave as slices if you prefer).

Then you want to heat it up in tomatillo salsa. There's plenty of good store bought varieties which are fine enough. Of course, you can make your own by boiling tomatillos, garlic, white onions, and jalapenos in salted water for about 5 minutes and then draining and pureeing with cilantro.

Then slap it on some warm tortillas and garnish with diced raw onion. Good to go my friend.