[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shonn Greene

Scorcher

Some sites say that going down the road there is enough for an RBBC to do well. Was Greene a fluk or does he have some value as the season progresses. I know that his no.s 2 weeks ago were an exception, just wondering if there is value going down the road with him being RBBC with Jones.

In dynasty leagues, Greene holds very solid value.

For this year, not so much. He won't get as many touches as Leon Washington did, he is not a chance of pace back to compliment T Jones. He should spell Jones some, but that fumble returned for a TD against Miami isn't going to help him get touches. Jones almost never puts the ball on the ground. Greene still needs to improve at blocking and recieving, things Jones does well enough to get 70%+ of the carries for now. If you have Jomnes, Greene is a must have handcuff, but he is not going to be a starter for you this year.

In dynasty leagues, Greene holds very solid value.

For this year, not so much. He won't get as many touches as Leon Washington did, he is not a chance of pace back to compliment T Jones. He should spell Jones some, but that fumble returned for a TD against Miami isn't going to help him get touches. Jones almost never puts the ball on the ground. Greene still needs to improve at blocking and recieving, things Jones does well enough to get 70%+ of the carries for now. If you have Jomnes, Greene is a must have handcuff, but he is not going to be a starter for you this year.

Very good analysis-----Thanks!

I have to disagree with this one. Yes, Greene is definitely not a change of pace back. Being from Chicago I have followed T Jones career closely. Let me say I like T jones a lot but he hates the cold and is getting older. Every year since 2006 he has not played as well in the 2nd half of the season and his carries have diminished as a result. Jones is also 31, although not showing signs of slowing down it has proven to be a presursor for RB's especially late in the season. With the addition of a relatively soft schedule against the run JAC, CAR, BUF, TAM, ATL, IND I have to think the load is going to be shared. No Doubt Greene will be working on holding onto the ball during their bye week. Greene has shown his explosiveness and given their schedule I am sure they think they will make the playoffs and probably will want to preserve Jones when they can. I see at least a 60-40 split and maybe more as it gets colder. Greene grew up in NJ and played at IOWA he likes NOV and DEC football. T Jones rarely played well in Chi in 40 degrees and lower and seldom found the endzone late in the season.

Edited by CJSKI

Every year since 2006 he has not played as well in the 2nd half of the season and his carries have diminished as a result.

I'm a Greene owner but unfortunately I'm not sure the #'s agree with you on Thomas Jones.. The last 2 years his numbers were better in the 2nd half of the season and in 2006 they were almost the same. Granted he is older now and things may be different this year.

2008 - per game average

SEP/OCT - 17.4 carries for 75 yds and 0.6 tds

NOV/DEC - 18.7 carries for 86.7 yds and 1 td

2007 - per game average

SEP/OCT - 18.4 carries for 69.6 yds and 0 tds

NOV/DEC - 20.4 carries for 70.3 yds and 0.1 tds

2006 - per game average

SEP/OCT - 19.9 carries for 77.6 yds and 0.4 tds

NOV/DEC - 17.4 carries for 74.1 yds and 0.3 tds

Edit: I will say that his Novemver #'s have been much better than December though...

2008 - per game average

NOV - 23.8 carries for 104.5 yds and 1.3 tds

DEC - 14.3 carries for 56 yds and 0.5 tds

2007 - per game average

NOV - 20 carries for 68.7 yds and 0 tds

DEC - 19.8 carries for 70.3 yds and 0 tds

2006 - per game average

NOV - 24 carries for 100.5 yds and 0.3 tds

DEC - 12.3 carries for 58.3 and 0.5 tds

Edited by myhousekey

Hoe does anyone feel about grabbing him for next year in a keeper league? Will Jones still be the man next year with Washington no.2?

MHK, solid stuff there! I don't know that the Chicago numbers hold much importance as this is Jones 3rd year with the Jets, and the month of December is milder here. Additionally, Chicago was still hell bent on Benson that year. Yes, Jones is 31, but is the drop age strictly age related or is it a matter of how many touches an NFL RB can handle before he starts to decline?

I think the Jets' chances at the playoffs are now in the rear view mirror. However, they still like to have Jones in there to protect Mr Sanchise. I can see Greene getting more touches in December to ready him for next year. It really depends on his ball security, and how much he can improve on his blocking and pass catching by then.

Scorcher, that is impossible to answer right now. Jones has a year left on his front loaded contract, but was whining about it this year already. Washington turned down a very reasonable offer for a new contract this year, before he got hurt and got IR'd. My best guess is next year, they try to keep Washington and let Jones go. Greene stands to be the beneficiary and somewhat likely to become the "primary RB", but it's a bit risky. I think the Jets would do well to get LW resigned now, and let Jones go, but how it comes out in the wash is really anyone's guess right now.

Edited by Rovers

MHK, solid stuff there! I don't know that the Chicago numbers hold much importance as this is Jones 3rd year with the Jets, and the month of December is milder here. Additionally, Chicago was still hell bent on Benson that year. Yes, Jones is 31, but is the drop age strictly age related or is it a matter of how many touches an NFL RB can handle before he starts to decline?

I think the Jets' chances at the playoffs are now in the rear view mirror. However, they still like to have Jones in there to protect Mr Sanchise. I can see Greene getting more touches in December to ready him for next year. It really depends on his ball security, and how much he can improve on his blocking and pass catching by then.

Scorcher, that is impossible to answer right now. Jones has a year left on his front loaded contract, but was whining about it this year already. Washington turned down a very reasonable offer for a new contract this year, before he got hurt and got IR'd. My best guess is next year, they try to keep Washington and let Jones go. Greene stands to be the beneficiary and somewhat likely to become the "primary RB", but it's a bit risky. I think the Jets would do well to get LW resigned now, and let Jones go, but how it comes out in the wash is really anyone's guess right now.

As almost any Jets fan will tell you, TJ is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 1st and that will bring his cost up to $5.8 million next season, the 4th in of a 4 year deal. I am sure TJ will be looking to lock up more than one year and will seek a new deal with the Jets or another team. I also think the Jets will want to avoid paying that $3 million roster bonus. I think he either renegotiates the deal or will be given his release.

Thanks Rovers, as always very well put. I'm going to pick him up( he is on the WW in one of my leagues) and wait to see if I want to keep Greene or Slaton. I guess it will all depend on who fumbles less for the rest of this season! :wacko: