[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the uneducated consumer....tell me about Pierre Thomas

SpinalTapp

What is your perception/ranking of PThomas as an NFL football player going forward. He is ranked by theHuddle as the 13th best RB for the rest of the season....above MBIII, Jacobs, Mendenhall, Forte, and Mendenhall. By the way, theHuddle is not alone in ranking him higher than most of these backs. However, he appears to be stuck in the middle of a Bell/Thomas RBBC with a little Bush TD vulture lurking around for good measure. For example, last week, M.Bell had more carries than he did (17 vs 14).

Is M.Bell just as valuable as P.Thomas at this point? Is there really a difference between these two guys? Please give me your opinion on why PThomas deserves to be ranked the 13th best RB over the aforementioned RBs or why that ranking is a mistake.

NO homers and nonhomer opinions welcome. I just have not paid close attention to this situation all year...but have some interest now due to a possible transaction.

Thanks.

Edited by SpinalTapp

at some point in the duration of last season I came ton the conclusion (early on) that RBBC isn't always bad as there is still usually one of the backs worth holding on to....

some backs prevail late in the game with fewer carries and beat up on a tired defense...

I like Thomas more than bell when it comes to ability and his 1st TD last week shows.....while Bell is more of a physical runner, but I don't think he has the frame to sustain the pounding...

Thomas is and has been the back to have in the saints offense if you need a starter....the problem is when the GL carry comes into play, it's Bell who will get it..

ideally Thomas is a very solid #2 if your team is balanced....but if you're already weak at RB, Thomas might be killing you...

I started Bush over Thomas last week and now I will vow to never bench Thomas again unless he is hurt (I also made this vow prior to his bye week and look how long that lasted)....:wacko: BUT THIS TIME I MEAN IT!

I started Bush over Thomas last week and now I will vow to never bench Thomas again unless he is hurt (I also made this vow prior to his bye week and look how long that lasted)....:wacko: BUT THIS TIME I MEAN IT!

Everything n the core of my body was telling me to bench PT last week. So glad I didn't listen to myself!

PT (IMHO) has a unique talent. He's a better back the most in the league (again, IMHO). He has power, speed and the ability to cut with the best of them. I think with a high scoring offense such as NO, PT, even with Bell will always have opportunities to score. To me, he's a starter every week.

I was going back and forth last week who to start, PT or Bell.........thought Bell would get the GL carries....

If you watched the game, they actually did give PT a goal line carry (and he got it down to the one)....

the saints are the real-deal this year and I think they will continue to rotate the backs, but PT has much more upside....

Im starting PT each and every week.....and had toyed with the idea of putting both PT and Bell in this week against Panthers (but Grant has a solid matchup and cant bench Benson, even against the Ravens...)

1) It's a true RBBC...Bell and Thomas have split touches almost exactly when both healthy and playing

2) There doesn't seem to be a clear definition of role's as we thought their might be (Bell more short yardage/goal line...Pierre more long field)...they are actually swapping off series more often than not

3) As far as the value goes, I think others above have said it well, the Saints are a very good offensive team, which makes their RBs attractive plays, because you know they are going to be on the field, with running lanes, and often in the red zone. Who would I rather have and play week by week...Pierre Thomas in a landslide because he is the more talented and skilled back.

WD

Not a legit RB1...he just doesn't get enough touches to warrant that.

I'd say he's a high to mid end RB2, over the course of the season probably mid range, but as we look out the rest of the year he has a very tasty set of match ups coming his way so that bumps him over to the high end of the RB2 spectrum.

WD

Any chance the Saints have employed a RBBC approach for the 1st half of the season in order to keep PT relatively healthy so he can do what he did last year over the 2nd half of this season? :wacko:

Me also thinks the Bell fumble at the end of the Falcons game (as the Saints were trying to run out the clock) may linger in Payton's mind....Bell's fumbles were cause for concern in Denver.

PT is NO's best all-round RB. He can do a little of what Bush is best suited for and a little of what Bell can do.

In an offense as diverse and efficient as NO's, PT would be a top 5 RB if Bell weren't around. Bell's presence makes PT a decent RB2.

This week I'm starting both b/c the matchup is good, at least on paper. PT will probably stay in my lineup regardless. Bell would be a decent flex option if the matchup is good. All just my $0.02.

Any chance the Saints have employed a RBBC approach for the 1st half of the season in order to keep PT relatively healthy so he can do what he did last year over the 2nd half of this season? :wacko:

Me also thinks the Bell fumble at the end of the Falcons game (as the Saints were trying to run out the clock) may linger in Payton's mind....Bell's fumbles were cause for concern in Denver.

As a PT owner I'd love that to be true. Benched him last week for Addai. If he didn't toss that TD (and I didn't win by +20) I might have been kicking myself.

I see him as a RB2 with low RB1 potential.....a great flex option.

Needless to say he's back in my lineup this week.

Payton will do whatever it takes to win. PT fumbled too but he also showed, again, why he's NO's best option at RB. I think Bell will settle back to what he is... a pretty average, plodding option who does just enough to annoy PT owners but notso much to completely negate PT's productivity.

As a PT owner I'd love that to be true. Benched him last week for Addai. If he didn't toss that TD (and I didn't win by +20) I might have been kicking myself.

I see him as a RB2 with low RB1 potential.....a great flex option.

Needless to say he's back in my lineup this week.

Do you feel PT is as good a flex option as a guy like M.Austin?

Good question. I've been mulling over the same thing. Here is my take, but it is mostly conjecture.

I'm thinking that PT is the No. 1 back, not really an RBBC, but only when push comes to shove. However, since the Saints will be winning easily quite often this year, we will continue to see a close to even distribution, if only to minimize PT's injury concerns and to have him fresh for the playoffs. However, if the game is on the line, or if the Saints are playing a close game (not too likely very often this year), then I see PT getting the bulk of the PT (playing time).

Anyway, that's my assessment.

His injury is what has tainted his production this year. NO has been bringing him on slowly

and using Bell, who is serviceable, but not the talent that PT is....

With 20 less carries than Bell, PT is still gaining almost 1.5 more YPC than Bell

and has 8 receptions to Bell' 1. Evan' also was used while PT worked his way back, but with him gone

for the year, PT's future looks so bright he's gunna need shades.

IMO, Bell will still get his, but not all/most of the GL touches. There is nothing wrong with PT at the GL. Nothing.

The rbbc in NO will, and is, slowly fade as PT becomes the clear #1 again. And this week, vs Car, with Moore out,

Bush will be more involved in the passing game. I think he's (PT) a must start for the rest of the year barring any setbacks

or injury to him or at other positions

Edited by pig devilz

His injury is what has tainted his production this year. NO has been bringing him on slowly

and using Bell, who is serviceable, but not the talent that PT is....

With 20 less carries than Bell, PT is still gaining almost 1.5 more YPC than Bell

and has 8 receptions to Bell' 1. Evan' also was used while PT worked his way back, but with him gone

for the year, PT's future looks so bright he's gunna need shades.

IMO, Bell will still get his, but not all/most of the GL touches. There is nothing wrong with PT at the GL. Nothing.

The rbbc in NO will, and is, slowly fade as PT becomes the clear #1 again. And this week, vs Car, with Moore out,

Bush will be more involved in the passing game. I think he's a must start for the rest of the year barring any setbacks

or injury to him or at other positions

You had me right up to the Bush statement. I just don't see Bush being anything more than we have seen up to now. He has and will continue to get his looks but I do not see his roll increasing any with Moore out.

Moore would catch balls over the middle and I don't see Bush doing that. If anything Moore being out may offer a few more touches to Shockey. JMHO

You had me right up to the Bush statement. I just don't see Bush being anything more than we have seen up to now. He has and will continue to get his looks but I do not see his roll increasing any with Moore out.

Moore would catch balls over the middle and I don't see Bush doing that. If anything Moore being out may offer a few more touches to Shockey. JMHO

Agree with Shockey over the middle to fill the Moore void. (meant to put that in my post)

I do think Bush will see less rb touches, more receiving opportunities/sets, even out of the backfield,

which will mean the ball in PT's hands more as the #1 rb......jmo

Agree with Shockey over the middle to fill the Moore void. (meant to put that in my post)

I do think Bush will see less rb touches, more receiving opportunities/sets, even out of the backfield,

I think I misread your post. Now that I look at it again you were not suggesting Bush was a MUST start but instead PT.

Seems we agree! Nothing to see here please move along :wacko:

You're just all over the place with this. I agree with tbimm on this one. Bush is a very highly paid decoy, yes he will get that occasional TD, but overall he'll get about 3 catches a game and if my memory serves me correctly it's been quite a while since he broke one of those. His role is very well defined in the scheme of things, but if a D let's up on him you may and I state MAY see a big game out of him once this season.