[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich

Kid Cid

This is more of a primer on BBQing a pork shoulder cause I figured that most of y'all knew how to make a sandwich. However it does contain my last smoke log and perhaps will help some of you. Enjoy!

http://www.corrundum.net/post/Pulled-Pork-BBQ-Sandwich.aspx

You inspired me. 12 lbs of pork have been on the smoker for the last three hours. Pulled pork out the wazzoo for dinner tomorrow night.

Yeah, a 9 lb butt is a bit much for me in one sitting, but it freezes really well if you have leftovers.

:wacko: that's a smooth easy read Kid......things i haven't done

tenderize

use a mop (just been doin apple juice in a spray bottle)

just takes alot of practice doesn't it.....i'll hit the store taday we've been off the pork for awhile and need a fix....my grillin has been OK but not great, i'm gonna pay attention to the rub & frig and follow this dead pig thru yer way....thanks

:wacko: that's a smooth easy read Kid......things i haven't done

tenderize

use a mop (just been doin apple juice in a spray bottle)

just takes alot of practice doesn't it.....i'll hit the store taday we've been off the pork for awhile and need a fix....my grillin has been OK but not great, i'm gonna pay attention to the rub & frig and follow this dead pig thru yer way....thanks

Patience is the key nuke. You can't rush good BBQ, it takes time and nothing will change that. So pull up a chair and a twelve pack then let the smoke do its work.

I really soak down the pork with the mop. It makes a big difference in keeping the juiciness in. The nice thing about tenderizing with a fork is that it drives the spices down into the meat. I use a carving fork instead of a table fork, it gets things in deeper.

I really soak down the pork with the mop. It makes a big difference in keeping the juiciness in. The nice thing about tenderizing with a fork is that it drives the spices down into the meat. I use a carving fork instead of a table fork, it gets things in deeper.

question: do you think poking all of the holes in the shoulder could actually cause it to dry out more quickly by giving the liquids an easier path to escape?

question: do you think poking all of the holes in the shoulder could actually cause it to dry out more quickly by giving the liquids an easier path to escape?

I would say no. There is enough fat within the pork to offset it.

One thing you never have to worry about with a pork shoulder/butt is drying it out.

One thing you never have to worry about with a pork shoulder/butt is drying it out.

Agreed. All that beautiful fat takes the whole cooking time to render throughout the meat - hard to dry out a decent shoulder.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that to ribs or a tenderloin, but for a shoulder it is not a problem.

Kid,

Used your rub and mop and my own sauce. It turned out great.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm sure that there are any number of sauces that would work well with this.

• 4 months later...
put a five pound shoulder on the grill about an hour ago, plan on having it for dinner

:wacko:

Sweet!

Sweet!

I must be doing something wrong, because dinner has long come and gone and I still haven't gotten the interior temperature past 180 degrees. The damn shoulder is only 5 pounds, I'm not sure what is up. I'm going to pull it at the end of the Duke-West Virginia game no matter what is going on.

I must be doing something wrong, because dinner has long come and gone and I still haven't gotten the interior temperature past 180 degrees. The damn shoulder is only 5 pounds, I'm not sure what is up. I'm going to pull it at the end of the Duke-West Virginia game no matter what is going on.

pull it and wrap it foil for half an hour like Kid does. You'll be ok

edit: pull it as in off the heat and wrap it..

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

pull it and wrap it foil for half an hour like Kid does. You'll be ok

edit: pull it as in off the heat and wrap it..

yep, that's what I did. All in all it turned out great! (even though it was midnight, I couldn't resist having a sandwich and it was really good)

I was concerned a little with your timing when you only gave yourself sixish hours to do a shoulder, even a smaller one. Here are some things to remember the next time. First, there is a temperature plateau that you will encounter around 170 degrees. It is at this temperature that the fat renders. Depending on the amount of fat in the shoulder, it can take a couple of hours to push through this stage alone. You may also encounter another plateau at around 190 degrees.

Once you get through the plateau at 170 you can call the meat cooked. At 175-180 degrees, the meat is fine for chopping with a knife. If you want to pull it though, then you need to get the temperature up to about 190-195. Like HBTC mentioned, pulling it off the pit and wrapping it in foil for a half an hour or so will cause the internal temperature to rise another 5-10 degrees.

Another thing is that after the first three-four hours, the pig won't take any more smoke. If you need to, you can raise the cooking temperature in the pit to finish it off if you are running out of time although I try to avoid this if possible.

I always plan on at least a twelve hour smoke for a picnic or butt, even if it is a smaller cut. If it finishes too soon, just wrap it in foil, wrap that in towels and throw it in a cooler. It will stay hot and ready to eat for another four hours or so that way.

• 1 year later...
That article is a pretty interesting read. I read it when it was first posted, and went back for the pork I did last weekend. For anyone who has never done pork shoulder on a smoker, it's a must-read. Tells you everything you need to know.

Does it tell you about the part where you get up at 3:30 AM with a case of beer, a fifth of Jack Daniel's and start drinking as you sit outside for the next 12 to 14 hours while it cooks, peeing of the side of your deck while people driving by your house look at you funny because your peeing of the deck and there are about 15 beer cans littering the yard and you have your mix CD of Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffet blasting away, and the geese are even too scared to land in your lake because you have actually tried to chase them down and put them on the smoker and the part where your wife and dog are affraid to come out side because you're tired, drunk and expecting your in-laws and parent sat any time and you just know that one of them is going to want to put some tomato based sauce on their fu(king sandwich and that is going to send you through the fu(king roof and your MIL will tell you about how your potato salad is pretty good, but there is one taste she isn't certain of... It's celery seed you stupid bitch, and it makes it better, that's how I always make it and you make the same fu(king comment every time, I swear to Jesus if you say one more fu(king thing about my goddamn potato salad I'm gonna fu(king punch you in your goddamn uterus...

Edited by SEC=UGA

Does it tell you about the part where you get up at 3:30 AM with a case of beer, a fifth of Jack Daniel's and start drinking as you sit outside for the next 12 to 14 hours while it cooks, peeing of the side of your deck while people driving by your house look at you funny because your peeing of the deck and there are about 15 beer cans littering the yard and you have your mix CD of Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffet blasting away, and the geese are even too scared to land in your lake because you have actually tried to chase them down and put them on the smoker and the part where your wife and dog are affraid to come out side because you're tired, drunk and expecting your in-laws and parent sat any time and you just know that one of them is going to want to put some tomato based sauce on their fu(king sandwich and that is going to send you through the fu(king roof and your MIL will tell you about how your potato salad is pretty good, but there is one taste she isn't certain of... It's celery seed you stupid bitch, and it makes it better, that's how I always make it and you make the same fu(king comment every time, I swear to Jesus if you say one more fu(king thing about my goddamn potato salad I'm gonna fu(king punch you in your goddamn uterus...

No, but that will be an awesome guest post. Just make sure to provide pictures.