[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting Ethical Dilemma re: Set Lineup

Butkus

I'd bench him. That scoring is brutal, if he doesn't throw a TD, but drops the rock and tosses a pick or two and you're screwed.

In fact, I'd use the fact that you're having this dilemma as an excuse to start working on a less brutal scoring system for QBs. If you're going to have -2 for picks as well as lost pts for fumbles, you need sto start the yardage meter a bit sooner.

And when someone counters that a QB should not be "rewarded" for, say passing for a total of 50 yds, remind them that it's all relative. Sure, dude's gonna earn his team 2 pts or so for the "effort" but that's going to pale in comparison to the points some dude who's QB actually put up decent points is getting. In fact, the spread is likely at least as much as the difference you currently have between not going over 250 and going over 250. However, what your scoring fails to do is differentiate between a truly atrocious outing like less than 100 yds and a fine but not stellar outing of throwing in the low 200s.

How many times has someone scored negative points as a QB this year outside of Mark Nacho's doozy against NO.
Depends on the scoring. For instance, with Huddle Performance scoring, Sanchez's game against NO was still worth 9 points according to the charts. Looking over other games, Kerry Collins game against New England was probably worse.

Given the scoring format in the original post, there are quite a few QBs that have had shutouts this year with yardage under 250 and 1 or more interceptions. This doesn't even take into consideration sacks or fumbles which would grow the list a little.

My .02 is bench him unless you are clearly in the running for a weekly high score prize.

How many times has someone scored negative points as a QB this year outside of Mark Nacho's doozy against NO. Ben is dirtying it up this year. Hes a lock for minimum 150 yards passing even against the worst of all teams. In a 25 yards pp league (-2 int, -1 fumble) you still have to have Ben roll a 150 yard 2 int 2 fumble performance to break even. You are an ass for even asking if that's ok.

Ive had jake Plummer throw three picks and get hurt - total -3.

Bench him

Nothing wrong with benching Big Ben & taking the win.

Depending on your league & where you stand, it could bite you in the butt though.

When it comes time for playoff seedings, usually if 2 teams have the same record, then the tiebreaker goes to season points.

We have a league where 8 teams make the playoffs, and last year the 8th & 9th place teams had the same record, but the team that got the playoff spot had 10 more points on the season (and it's a high scoring league).

If it was me, I'd take my chances & leave him in so I can rack up some points for the season. I doubt he's gonna score negative points.

Edited by jordanzs

I agree with the guy above me.

I have no problem with benching him to assure a win. It's not against the rules, and I don't believe even skirting the rules. It's strategy. But on the other hand, it's not some second tier RB or a crappy kicker that has a reasonable chance of losing points. Ben had little chance of getting negative 3 points (even a fumble and out on the first play would only be -2). I'd still start him to get the total points for the playoff run.

it seems like just yesterday (or was it 12 years ago) Warren Moon dropped back to pass, was strip-sacked and concussed. Out for game.

Our fantasy owner lost his game by .5 points because Moon had -1. For years we laughed about how he was "better off dressing noone".

I'll assume you benched big ben, and this really isn't about ethics. It's about league rules and risk aversion. The rules are silly, you should push the league to 'standardize' your rules and site games like this as an example of why you need a change. Or use these silly rules and add prizes for highest PF. That way Big Ben plays.

As for risk aversion, ask cunning runt about sexy Rexy 3 years ago...we also had a league memeber dress Rex and score roughly -5 points in that game. Hilarious. Your rules presented a real risk that ben could go negative. Lucky he is an elite qb this year.

There's enough luck in fantasy football (and a 6 page thread to boot), remove rules that add to the crap shoot. IMO.