[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston RB Situation

giantsfan

I was dead wrong on it. I truly thought Slaton would get 15 or so touches and be more of the guy than Moats. But clearly Moats was the 1st/2nd down guy and Slat was the 3rd down guy for the most part.

Let me be the 1st to say HUGE mistake IMO. Moats is not good. This O is sorely lacking a big play threat at RB, and Slaton is that.

To me there is proving a point to get it through to a guy (benching in the Buff game), and then being stubborn.

I am NOT saying Slaton did well with the carries he did get. OR has done well with the carries he has gotten this year. BUT what I do know is this guy helps open up the O.

He is a great pass catcher as a RB. And is a clear threat to break one on every play. Teams MUST respect that. Their O did NOT look good yesterday. Give Indy some credit no doubt, but the O was missing an it.

I'm sure Daniels being out adds to that, but to me that just furthers the need for Slaton to be on the field and get minimum 15 + touches.

The guy was great for them last year. And again while his YPC avg was low he was VERY productive for them this year until the Buff game (fumbles not withstanding). We just forget what he did after 7 games and say what have you done for me lately? YES the fumbles are unacceptable, but he was "punished" and now it is time to be smart and do what is best for the team I think.

After yesterday I feel Moats will get more touches going forward and that is a HUGE mistake IMO.

A lot of my Slaton backing is the fact that he is productive, but mostly that Moats is NOT good. He is a whatever RB. He is clearly not in the class on Slaton. He just isn't.

And I do NOT have a dog in the fight here. I have Turner and Benson starting in front of Slaton. Just pointing out what I think is common sense and best for Houston. If he fumbles again AFTER this "punishment" then yes enough, but I'd put him in there and give him the 15 + touches. Your best chance to win NO DOUBT.

Edited by giantsfan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was dead wrong on it. I truly thought Slaton would get 15 or so touches and be more of the guy than Moats. But clearly Moats was the 1st/2nd down guy and Slat was the 3rd down guy for the most part.

Let me be the 1st to say HUGE mistake IMO. Moats is not good. This O is sorely lacking a big play threat at RB, and Slaton is that.

To me there is proving a point to get it through to a guy (benching in the Buff game), and then being stubborn.

I am NOT saying Slaton did well with the carries he did get. OR has done well with the carries he has gotten this year. BUT what I do know is this guy helps open up the O.

He is a great pass catcher as a RB. And is a clear threat to break on on every play. Teams MUST respect that. Their O did NOT look good yesterday. Give Indy so credit no doubt, but the O was missing an it.

I'm sure Daniels being out adds to that, but to me that just furthers the needs for Slaton to be on the field and get minimum 15 + touches.

The guy was great for them last year. And again while his YPC avg was low he was VERY productive for them this year until the Buff game (fumbles not withstanding). We just forget what he did after 7 games and say what have you done for me lately? YES the fumbles are unacceptable, but he was "punished" and now it is time to be smart and do what is best for the team I think.

After yesterday I feel Moats will get more touches going forward and that is a HUGE mistake IMO.

A lot of my Slaton backing is the fact that he is productive, but Moats is NOT good. He is a whatever RB. He is clearly not in the class on Slaton. He just isn't.

And I do NOT have a dog in the fight here. I have Turner and Benson starting in front of Slaton. Just pointing out what I think is common sense and best for Houston. If he fumbles again AFTER this "punishment" then yes enough, but I'd put him in there and give him the 15 + touches. Your best chance to win NO DOUBT.

You do have a dog in the fight and perhaps Kubiak said "the next fumble" and you are out right before his last fumble... Professionals should not have to be punished....I am a Slaton owner. Wish I traded him when I had the chance.

You do have a dog in the fight and perhaps Kubiak said "the next fumble" and you are out right before his last fumble... Professionals should not have to be punished....I am a Slaton owner. Wish I traded him when I had the chance.

I don't. It doesn't make a difference to me if he plays now. Yes of course I rather he plays, but he doesn't need to start for me anyway.

And you are right, that very well may have happened with Kubiak and Slat behind closed doors. Guess no one knows.

I totally disagree on professionals not having to be punished. That is life like it or not.

And I really want anyone to come on here and say they believe Moats is a better player than Slaton.

And don't mention the fumbles. Like I said he fumbles again all bets are off. AND Moats fumbled yesterday as well.

Edited by giantsfan

Your best chance to win NO DOUBT.

Seeing as they were a missed FG away from perhaps beating the only unbeaten AFC squad (in their building) tells me they can be just fine without Slaton's fumbles.

Also, not sure what the "punishment" has to do with whether Slaton should get another chance. Are you really saying that, prior to his benching last week, Slaton should have been comfortable with his job? And now that he has been "punished", he should get another chance? if so, I disagree. His punishment in prior games was that he cost his team a couple wins. That should have been cause enough for him to fix his fumbling ways....if indeed they are fixable.

But to say he should get another chance because he was benched, and it took him losing his own playing time to fix his problems...well, then he wouldn't be the kinda guy i'd want on my team in the first place.

The Houston Texans played a game to the wire with the vaunted Indianapolis Colts. If Slaton had started, and lost a fumble or two, they might not have been in the game. Since Schaub is playing so well and they have Andre Johnson, perhaps all they want out of a running back is a guy that won't make mistakes, and they will accept a lack of production in order to stay in games. Slaton is more dangerous, both to the opposition, and to themselves.

Seeing as they were a missed FG away from perhaps beating the only unbeaten AFC squad (in their building) tells me they can be just fine without Slaton's fumbles.

Also, not sure what the "punishment" has to do with whether Slaton should get another chance. Are you really saying that, prior to his benching last week, Slaton should have been comfortable with his job? And now that he has been "punished", he should get another chance? if so, I disagree. His punishment in prior games was that he cost his team a couple wins. That should have been cause enough for him to fix his fumbling ways....if indeed they are fixable.

But to say he should get another chance because he was benched, and it took him losing his own playing time to fix his problems...well, then he wouldn't be the kinda guy i'd want on my team in the first place.

thunder thief!!

We'll agree to disagree. To me their O looked very plain and boring. They were lacking a spark IMO.

And like it or not athletes sometimes need to be punished or humbled if you will.

If you think their O is better with Moats getting more touches and/or you think Moats is a better player than Slaton so be it.

Agree to disagree as I said.

The Houston Texans played a game to the wire with the vaunted Indianapolis Colts. If Slaton had started, and lost a fumble or two, they might not have been in the game. Since Schaub is playing so well and they have Andre Johnson, perhaps all they want out of a running back is a guy that won't make mistakes, and they will accept a lack of production in order to stay in games. Slaton is more dangerous, both to the opposition, and to themselves.

This post is actually COMICAL.

Let me say this for you.

MOATS DID FUMBLE AT THE ONE AND IT COST THEM DEARLY.

Comical that you would say if Slaton fumbled...considering the circumstances.

They had him studying Tiki Barber film all this week. It seems to me since they know the problem, (fumbles) they could concentrate on it and fix it. Philly identified McCoy dancing around when the play is up the middle. The times he charged through he did a lot better. They identified the reason he doesn't do well and they are fixing it: as could be seen on a few plays last night. What I don't understand is Houston has millions invested in a back that has the skills that can't be taught. I may be naive but it seems to me that someone could be taught how to hold on to the ball. Paying Barber or whoever it was that helped Barber to work one on one with Slaton would be more than worth while. Or for that matter Slaton paying out of his own pocket.

Edited by Scorcher

If you think their O is better with Moats getting more touches and/or you think Moats is a better player than Slaton so be it.

Agree to disagree as I said.

I think a fumble-free Slaton is by far a better option than Moats. But thru 8 games, fumble-free Slaton has yet to show up.

The other factor is...what message are you sending your team if you continue to allow Slaton to cough up footballs, and in some cases, games? A guy has been turning the ball over, you finally let his backup come in, the back-up puts up the best franchise RB numbers in 4 years in just 3 quarters.....and you go back to the fumbler?

Part of what makes great athletes great is that they are never comfotable with their job...they should know, and perform, as if they are always being pushed. And if the guy doing the pushing overtakes you, you need to push back.

Slaton needs to earn his spot back...it shouldn't be handed to him.

I think Moats deserves a shot right now. Not only is he not fumbling (as much :wacko:) but he is capable of playing as well as Slaton. IF Slaton gets the fumbles fixed he's the best option, if not I'd rather stick with Moats.......or sign LJ.

I think a fumble-free Slaton is by far a better option than Moats. But thru 8 games, fumble-free Slaton has yet to show up.

The other factor is...what message are you sending your team if you continue to allow Slaton to cough up footballs, and in some cases, games? A guy has been turning the ball over, you finally let his backup come in, the back-up puts up the best franchise RB numbers in 4 years in just 3 quarters.....and you go back to the fumbler?

Part of what makes great athletes great is that they are never comfotable with their job...they should know, and perform, as if they are always being pushed. And if the guy doing the pushing overtakes you, you need to push back.

I actually dn't disagree at all with this.

Which is why:

1. Moats got the shot yesterday and showed why he is Ryan Moats.

2. Slaton has been working on the fumbling. They have been showing him film and so on.

3. Didn't Moats also fumble at the 1 yesterday just as Brown did earlier this season?

The players want to win. They aren't as concerned with the message IMO. I get your point on Moats deserves the shot after the Buff game, and he got it. Take the bye. Work more with Slaton, and put him back in there as the guy next game.

If we can see a non-fumbling Slaton is way better than Moats you don't think the players can see it? Deserve or no deserve for Moats.

This post is actually COMICAL.

Let me say this for you.

MOATS DID FUMBLE AT THE ONE AND IT COST THEM DEARLY.

Comical that you would say if Slaton fumbled...considering the circumstances.

A guy fumbled at a ridiculous rate and lost his job for it. It is COMICAL that you can't get that through your head.

Moats fumbled one time. Once. So that means he has fumbling issues?

I think Moats deserves a shot right now. Not only is he not fumbling (as much :wacko:) but he is capable of playing as well as Slaton. IF Slaton gets the fumbles fixed he's the best option, if not I'd rather stick with Moats.......or sign LJ.

As a Texans fan I clearly respect your opinion, but you really think Moats can play as well as Slaton? I do not in anyway.

And the big IF is the fumbles with Slaton. I am going to assume he gets those worked out with his work this past week and the work he will do during the bye.

And do you really want LJ???

A guy fumbled at a ridiculous rate and lost his job for it. It is COMICAL that you can't get that through your head.

Moats fumbled one time. Once. So that means he has fumbling issues?

Do me a favor and highlight exactly where I said Moats had a fubmling issue? I missed when I said that.

All I said was YOU said what if Slaton had played yesterday and fumbled... I said Moats played yesterday and DID fumble. What is the difference?

Clearly Slaton has a fumbling issue. Can't say the same for Moats.

What I can say is IF Slaton fixes his fumbling issue he is MUCH better than Moats no doubt.

Edited by giantsfan

Barber is a very good comparison, although I think Slaton is a notch below in pure talent, he still has more than enough talent to be a solid "Tiki-like" NFL all purpose RB. Barber was killing the Giants with his fumble problems. Slaton is working on it, just as Barber did. Barber was allowed to work through it. He never got benched. The message there was that the Giants CS did send a message. They stuck with thier best playmaker. He responded. I personally think Houston should do the same. Add in Moats' key fumble... even more reason to reward Slaton for working on the problem.

Barber is a very good comparison, although I think Slaton is a notch below in pure talent, he still has more than enough talent to be a solid "Tiki-like" NFL all purpose RB. Barber was killing the Giants with his fumble problems. Slaton is working on it, just as Barber did. Barber was allowed to work through it. He never got benched. The message there was that the Giants CS did send a message. They stuck with thier best playmaker. He responded. I personally think Houston should do the same. Add in Moats' key fumble... even more reason to reward Slaton for working on the problem.

I agree. Slaton could be a Tiki lite. Not as good, but solid all purpose guy.

As a Texans fan I clearly respect your opinion, but you really think Moats can play as well as Slaton? I do not in anyway.

And the big IF is the fumbles with Slaton. I am going to assume he gets those worked out with his work this past week and the work he will do during the bye.

And do you really want LJ???

I always thought Moats was a good back coming out of Louisiana Tech. Although he isnt as explosive as Slaton, he can still do all of the same things. The big play is the big edge I give SS. I would have thought he got them worked out before........but not so much.

And yes I would take a chance on Slaton. We had a chance (two really) at Cedric Benson when he was disgruntled and no one wanted him. Now he is running like a man possessed.