[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoffs and Ties...

JustDoIt

So i have heard a few different answers when it comes to how a tie impacts who will win...

I have heard from some the that it is like a 1/2 a win and 1/2 a loss... (2 ties= 1 win, 1 loss)

And some that it is simply a tie-breaker... (it would go wins, than fewer losses... than points..)

Who makes the playoffs in this situation?

5-2-2

6-3

Or this one??

5-2-2 800 pts

6-3 700 pts

So i have heard a few different answers when it comes to how a tie impacts who will win...

I have heard from some the that it is like a 1/2 a win and 1/2 a loss... (2 ties= 1 win, 1 loss)

And some that it is simply a tie-breaker... (it would go wins, than fewer losses... than points..)

Who makes the playoffs in this situation?

5-2-2

6-3

Or this one??

5-2-2 800 pts

6-3 700 pts

5-2-2 = .714 win percentage

6-3 = .666 win percentage

5-2-2 gets in.

Oh, and ties suck. Use decimal point scoring and get rid of them.

5-2-2 = .714 win percentage

6-3 = .666 win percentage

5-2-2 gets in.

No.

A tie is 1/2 win and 1/2 loss,so the 2 ties are the same as 1 win and 1 loss. So 5-2-2 is the same as 6-3-0 when the ties are added as 1 win and 1 loss. So the same winning percentage. (Ties are not thrown out as sheik's formula used)

But the next tiebreaker is used, then 800 points would win it.

Ahh, but you are all assuming that total points is their first tiebreaker. That is not clear.

JustDoIt, what are your rules for tiebreakers for standings? Is it total points, division win pct., head to head record, poits against, something else?

As Big John correctly noted, 6-3 and 5-2-2 are the same win pct., so you would go on to your 1st tiebreaker, whatever that may be in your league rules.