[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I be honored that people AVOID me in trades?

CardinalEmpire.com

Not trying to toot my own horn (if it can even be called that), but in just about every league I'm in right now no one will even discuss trades with me. It's not like I have a bad history of fleecing owners or low-balling people. I've only successfully commissioned one trade in all my years playing, and in the end I got screwed making the wrong call (gave up Peterson in his rookie season for TO... guy would have taken Rudi Johnson that year - OUCH).

Do any of you have the same trouble getting other owners to enter serious trade talks with you? If so, why do you think that is?

I get irritated at guys in one of my locals. They all want something for nothing. Case in point. The weakest link on my team was WRs when he desparately needed a RB. I'm 4-5 deep there and offered him Ryan Grant for Boldin straight up. He countered by wanting my 2nd best WR(Housh) with Grant for Boldin. This past week he offers me Boldin(still banged up) and J. Stewart for Benson and Housh. I'm not a weetodd. I don't know why I seem to do this every year in that league. I get quality depth thinking I have trade bait and nobody can make me a realistic offer.

I am constantly trading but not just for the sake of trading. The key to trading is to not think of it as screwing the other person. Offer trades that make sense for both of you or else you end up insulting the person into never wanting to trade with you. If you have good depth at WR and have poor RB's that are hurting you, its not always a bad thing to trade a good WR for a RB of a lesser value if it helps your overall output. Thats just my opinion and its worked out well for me.

If you really want to trade, start by deciding which player(s) you want to move. Then look at every team's roster. Do they have a need for the positional players you want to move? Do they have a surplus of the positional players you want to get?

I get some whacky offers. I'm short at WR, deep at RB, and someone offers an RB for a WR. I won't even mention the idiot offers of a second round draft pick for Lofton (LB, IDP stud).

A well crafted offer, addressing the potential trade partner's needs usually gets things going.

I think we've all had our fair share of retarded low ball offers. A few that were proposed to me this year..

Some dude wanted my A Peterson and R Wayne (3 weeks ago) for L Johnson, A Bryant and J Flacco. My weekly starter at QB in that league is Rivers. I asked him on what drugs do I have to be on to think that he is serious. His response, "I am serious."

Another league I was just offered (yesterday) K Winslow and James Jones for R Wayne and R Rice. My weekly TE in that league is T Gonzalez. I just told him while I'm looking to make a trade, that doesin't mean I'm looking to make ANY trade.

I must admit (and toot my horn again on these message boards) I made one hell of a trade in my big $$ league in week 3. I traded away G Jennings and K Smith for MJD. My 3 weekly starters at RB in that league are AP & Ray Rice with MJD as my flex player. Yes, I'm in first with a 350 point lead over the next closest team.

I think that I make pretty good offers. Case in point... an owner and I were discussing my depth at RB, his depth at WR, and our need to have the other player's depth. So I suggest a starting discussion of Matt Forte for one of his WR's. We go back and forth and finally settle on Forte for Randy Moss (I agree it was tilted to my favor, but he was interested in doing it). Well, that same night I offer the trade officially, he cancels it, then makes this trade:

He gives: Wes Welker, Alex Smith

He gets: Eli Manning, Percy Harvin

His regular QB starter is Brett Favre. He didn't address his RB problem and took a downgrade at WR to get a backup QB. The rest of the league owners are as described above... offering a WR4 and wanting Ray Rice. It's ridiculous.

same here. everyone is too paranoid the make a trade. they all think the other guy is out to screw them. i've made a few trades in the past that just seem to work out better for me. and that's why no one wants to trade with me. but they forget the ones i made that didn't work out for me.

i've made one trade this year...o. daniels & c. williams for t. heap & l. mccoy. as a westbrook owner i knew i'd have to overpay a little to get his backup. and now daniels is out for the year. this is a typical trade for me. the guys i trade away either get injured or seem to suck the rest of the year. the one trade i'm was glad that got turned down this year was in another league where i offered t. jones for s. moss (right after his big game) as i was a little light at wr.

Edited by buddahj

Some reasons for not wanting to trade with someone:

You may be in the same division as someone with a roster that would make the most sense to trade with.

You may have a strong team that they don't want to help make stronger.

You may have a reputation for constantly lowballing other owners.

You may have a reputation for bullying people in trade negotiations.

You may be in a league with owners who don't take enough time to look through possible trades.

You may be in a league with owners who don't like making transactions of any kind.

???

I'm sure there are more. Do any of those fit?

I am constantly trading but not just for the sake of trading. The key to trading is to not think of it as screwing the other person. Offer trades that make sense for both of you or else you end up insulting the person into never wanting to trade with you. If you have good depth at WR and have poor RB's that are hurting you, its not always a bad thing to trade a good WR for a RB of a lesser value if it helps your overall output. Thats just my opinion and its worked out well for me.

Good post. I agree.

I am an active trader and it has worked well for me. So much so that I could be avoided by most in future seasons. BUT, there is usually an owner that is struggling, looking to make a change, and knows I am always open to offers.

I look to cash in on late draft picks that have over-performed with the assumption that they will likely come back to earth. Case in point, a few weeks back I traded SSmith (NYG) and DMason for LFitz to someone looking for WR depth. Once Smith established himself as a clear number 1, you knew that defenses would adjust. I also figured there would be a resurgence of NYG running game, which hasn't happened yet but may come after the BYE.

Finally, everyone says to buy low and sell high. It is amazing how hard it is to follow this basic advice. Instead they do just the opposite. Buy someone that is over-producing and give up on someone that has underperformed but is likely to soon turn in around.

If you really want to trade, start by deciding which player(s) you want to move. Then look at every team's roster. Do they have a need for the positional players you want to move? Do they have a surplus of the positional players you want to get?

I get some whacky offers. I'm short at WR, deep at RB, and someone offers an RB for a WR. I won't even mention the idiot offers of a second round draft pick for Lofton (LB, IDP stud).

A well crafted offer, addressing the potential trade partner's needs usually gets things going.

Actually, I do just the opposite. I look for players to acquire and then fashion a package that is likely to be attractive. The key is do your homework.

1. Look at upcoming/remaining matchups closely. Huddle's Strength of Schedule tool is the bible for this.

2. Look at who has underperformed, and why. Are team dynamics likely to change, has the schedule been brutal?

3. Look at targets, touches, YPC, etc. You want to see good production with the opportunities given. Coaches are likely to notice as well.

Then, look for things the owner may need that you can use to get him interested in a trade.

1. Is he having BYE week issues?

2. Is he on a losing streak?

3. Does he have weak spots in his lineup?

See what on your roster matches his needs. If you have done your homework, you should be comfortable dealing someone that has performed well but could trend down for someone that has not performed as well but is trending upward.

Approaching trades in this manner, I have rarely regretted any of the moves I've made.

There will always be owners who try to give junk and get something good in return. That's just human nature and its been a part of FF from the start :D

Even when the intent is sincere and the offer realistic, though, seems to me trading is down in my leagues as the players are not only less consistent but very polar from week to week in some cases. Makes it hard to evaluate what you're getting/giving so I think people are hesitant to pull the trigger lest they end up really getting the short end of a deal :wacko:

I get irritated at guys in one of my locals. They all want something for nothing. Case in point. The weakest link on my team was WRs when he desparately needed a RB. I'm 4-5 deep there and offered him Ryan Grant for Boldin straight up. He countered by wanting my 2nd best WR(Housh) with Grant for Boldin. This past week he offers me Boldin(still banged up) and J. Stewart for Benson and Housh. I'm not a weetodd. I don't know why I seem to do this every year in that league. I get quality depth thinking I have trade bait and nobody can make me a realistic offer.

Come on, dude