[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Transactions in your leagues

Sammy D.

Our local league has been around for a good 10 years now, and transactions have always been free. Yet there is one owner who consistently cries about how we need to pay for our transactions. Every year it is the same deal, he wants to raise the entry fees and pay for transactions. today he posted all of my moves on our message board.....saying that this is why we need to pay for our moves. I do have the most moves, but there are 3 others who are right there with me. These totals include trades, add/drops, and waiver moves. The entry is $125, so it is a somewhat serious league, but this clown seems like he is trying to retire off of it......how many moves do you guys have this year already, and how would you handle this douchebag?

Our local league has been around for a good 10 years now, and transactions have always been free. Yet there is one owner who consistently cries about how we need to pay for our transactions. Every year it is the same deal, he wants to raise the entry fees and pay for transactions. today he posted all of my moves on our message board.....saying that this is why we need to pay for our moves. I do have the most moves, but there are 3 others who are right there with me. These totals include trades, add/drops, and waiver moves. The entry is $125, so it is a somewhat serious league, but this clown seems like he is trying to retire off of it......how many moves do you guys have this year already, and how would you handle this douchebag?

I was in a league where the entry fee was $30, and then we paid $3 for every move. It was good for 2 reasons: it made everybody think about any move, and it brought the pot up. We never had a problem with it.

I was in a league where the entry fee was $30, and then we paid $3 for every move. It was good for 2 reasons: it made everybody think about any move, and it brought the pot up. We never had a problem with it.

The main league I'm in is a $125 entry fee. It used to be a $75 entry fee with $5 transactions. We moved away from it about 5 years ago cause it was too difficult to get people to pay their fee's. The commissioner threatened a few people that if they didn't pay up their fee's, then their points wouldn't count for that week. Those few people used to bitch and gripe about waiting for payday or they were out of town or they couldn't get the money to the commissioner in time. One guy (who happened to be in 2nd place at the time) wanted to see if the commissioner was serious about not counting his points if he didn't pay his dues - and sure enough, his points were removed from that week. He then dropped every one of his players and it created a cluster-f***. The following year we all voted to raise the entry fee by $50 and do away with transaction fee's.

i am in a 14-team redraft that has $1 per transaction (waiver wire/trades). entry is $150, but commissioner collects an extra $25 from each owner at the beginning of the year to cover transactions. the league champ gets the transaction pot. since it's a 14-team league with 17-man rosters, there isn't a ton of activity on the wire, but the cost of transaction has never been a consideration when i make a move, mainly because i plan to win it all back. :wacko:

Ours is a 12 team league, with 16 roster spots. But there are limits on the positions, only 5 rbs, and 6 wrs, so you have to watch the wire to try and get the depth you need, but at the same time you need the quality as well. And if your draft doesn't pan out as well as you hoped, then you really have to work the system to get your team in shape. This guy has me feeling I should defend my moves, when he needs to just shut up and worry about his own team.

Simple solution if it is a real issue is rather than a charge per transaction, have fantasy bucks, so, for example, each year you have $100 to make your bids with. Waivers are blind bid, FCFS is a minimal fee. Once you have spent your money, you can;t make moves.

Otherwise, I've played in both, and generally speaking the leagues that charged for moves were a pain in the ass. Collecting, unless you collect extra fees up front sucks, and oftentimes teams near the bottom of the standings stop making moves altogether, even to cover byes, as what is the point of throwing away extra real money if you are out of it.

ours is a 10 team 1 keeper. 11th year of this and the pot has finally settled over the past 3 years to 485 (+15 for cbs sportsline) per person and 5 per add, player traded. there are more opportunities to win your money back though as weekly winners (h2h league, but top points is weekly winner) get 75, division champs get 400 for overall champion and 200 for other division. Overall points leader gets 150 (last three years point leader wasnt div. champion due to bad luck). 1st and 2nd split the rest 60/40. Right now through week 9/10 - moves have run up the pot an additional 985.

I am not too sure about transaction fee for moves.. what if I am a poor one who just lost my job...

Anyway, my commissioner tries to limit all the moves by one move per day and set a limit to have 5 WRs and 4 RBs or 4 WRs and 5 RBs

We also have another rule to make sure each owner has to carry two TEs and two DSTs all the time to prevent people dropping those positions to pickup others.

The bottom line, I think all owners should be rewarded for how much time they study for players and teams .. not how much money they have to pay for the moves

The main league I'm in is a $125 entry fee. It used to be a $75 entry fee with $5 transactions. We moved away from it about 5 years ago cause it was too difficult to get people to pay their fee's. The commissioner threatened a few people that if they didn't pay up their fee's, then their points wouldn't count for that week. Those few people used to bitch and gripe about waiting for payday or they were out of town or they couldn't get the money to the commissioner in time. One guy (who happened to be in 2nd place at the time) wanted to see if the commissioner was serious about not counting his points if he didn't pay his dues - and sure enough, his points were removed from that week. He then dropped every one of his players and it created a cluster-f***. The following year we all voted to raise the entry fee by $50 and do away with transaction fee's.

Yep.

We raised our entry to $200 from $150 and eliminated transaction fees for very similar reasons - too difficult to get people to pay their fees after having completed the season. League is made up of people all over the US and it was right after Christmas. It was enough just getting everyone to commit to showing up for a live draft and paying the entry fee draft night. Bumping the entry up more than made up for the fees and streamlined it into a much more manageable situation without the headaches. Our owners prefer a one cost approach and then maximum flexibility in-season without having to worry about costing extra money each time they want to make a move.

My favorite league has a good system, which balances a number of factors.

First of all, we use a bidding process . . . which cures a lot of problems. Second of all, we have a $50 cap of free agent money. The first $30 is "free", and the remaining $20 of space is paid in real dollars.

This is very popular for three reasons:

1. Instead of free agents going to owners who have deeper real-world pockets, it keeps more of an even playing field. This is important because we have people on all sorts of financial footing in our league.

2. Our rosters and lineup requirements means that everyone is going to have to make at least a couple moves, and people understand injuries are going to happen and that they suck bad enough without financially penalizing the owner further with an add fee.

3. It reduces the chase for transaction fees.

Most players do not spend more than their free $30 on free agents adds. The need to strategically use what you have and tie-breakers based on record are important factors. There is always an air of excitement around adds in our league, without bitterness or drama.

We still charge for trades, but these are far less common than wire moves anyway.

My favorite league has a good system, which balances a number of factors.

First of all, we use a bidding process . . . which cures a lot of problems. Second of all, we have a $50 cap of free agent money. The first $30 is "free", and the remaining $20 of space is paid in real dollars.

This is very popular for three reasons:

1. Instead of free agents going to owners who have deeper real-world pockets, it keeps more of an even playing field. This is important because we have people on all sorts of financial footing in our league.

2. Our rosters and lineup requirements means that everyone is going to have to make at least a couple moves, and people understand injuries are going to happen and that they suck bad enough without financially penalizing the owner further with an add fee.

3. It reduces the chase for transaction fees.

Most players do not spend more than their free $30 on free agents adds. The need to strategically use what you have and tie-breakers based on record are important factors. There is always an air of excitement around adds in our league, without bitterness or drama.

We still charge for trades, but these are far less common than wire moves anyway.

I'm curious - do you think trades are less common just because people don't like to trade? Or because the financial implications provide a disincentive?

I'm a huge fan of trades and we see a fair amount in our league: 10-15 annually. If it's because there's a financial disincentive, I'm not sure I'd be on board.

Don't get upset at the guy who whines about transactions. He just represents one of many, many different personalities you will find playing FF:

--the guy who falls in love with his team and won't trade with you even if he's 0-9

--the guy who loves wheeling and dealing

--the waiver wire hound (that's you, not a bad thing)

--the griper (that's him)

--the guy who thinks he knows everything but really knows nothng....that's me heh

Talk to your league mates about blind bidding like samson and others mentioned. Sites like MFL support anything you can think of. The question is, would you be comfortable with blind bidding? Don't worry, you can still succeed at waiver hunting, you just have to manage your moves wisely. And even Mr. Griper will conclude it is FAIR.

Don't get upset at the guy who whines about transactions. He just represents one of many, many different personalities you will find playing FF:

--the guy who falls in love with his team and won't trade with you even if he's 0-9

--the guy who loves wheeling and dealing

--the waiver wire hound (that's you, not a bad thing)

--the griper (that's him)

--the guy who thinks he knows everything but really knows nothng....that's me heh

Talk to your league mates about blind bidding like samson and others mentioned. Sites like MFL support anything you can think of. The question is, would you be comfortable with blind bidding? Don't worry, you can still succeed at waiver hunting, you just have to manage your moves wisely. And even Mr. Griper will conclude it is FAIR.

I'm a wheeler and Dealer/Waiver Wire Hound combo...

I'm trying to negotiate with a #1 on your list who is one game over .500 fighting for a playoff berth while I'm 8-1.....he still wants to "wait and see" when he has an obvious weakness and probably would rather prevent my team from getting better even if it means holding his team back as well...

I threw him Gates or Celek and Miles Austin for Vincent Jackson and he "wants to hold onto VJAX a little longer".....then I have another owner who wouldn't do that trade in a combo of Celek/Austin/Bradshaw Sims-walker/Sidney Rice because he doesn't like Eagles players....

I have now also officially fallen into the "griper" category....(that's me too)

I used to make it 5 free transactions and then after that it's $5 per move....

now it's $10 after you make your 1st 10 moves...

next year I will make the $10 payment come into play before the 1st move out of 10 instead of putting it after the 10th move...

the thing is....after your 20th move, you now owe $30.....$10 for the 1st 10 and then an additional $20 after the 20th...

In my oldest league we pay $60 per team (12) and the first 10 transactions are free. After that there's a $1 charge for every transaction, that money goes into a pot and the money goes for the highest scoring team throughout the entire season (including playoffs), so even if the highest scoring team doesn't make the playoffs or gets knocked out of the playoffs the incentive is still there as the pot always goes for over $100. We also have payouts for a lot of other things:

Champion - $300

Runner-up - $100

Winner Div I - $50

Winner Div II - $50

Winner Div III - $50

Most Points - Pot

Survivor Pool - 50

NFL Pool - $50

Toilet Bowl - Mockery

There's plenty of opportunitties to get some of your money back with still a decent Champ money if you got some of the other prizes as well.

If everyone else likes it as is, I'd tell him (in so many words) to shut tf up or move on.

I've played both, hated the pay for FAs thing for various reasons, some already stated (mostly it's just a pain). I do however like limiting how many moves per week you can make, so as to give others a shot at them. As for more money, I'm all for keeping it interesting but to a point - too much money and people start to become real aholes about everything because they're more into the money than the competition/fun of it.

I do however like limiting how many moves per week you can make, so as to give others a shot at them.

This is do not understand. If you have a "fair" waiver system (either via waiver period or through blind bidding), then every owner gets a crack at any player they want, so there is no logical reason to limit the number of moves a team can make.

Leagues that are plain FCFS at all times, well, that is a different animal altogether.

My main league that I commission has a 24 hour period (Tuesday) where we blind bid for players using a $2.00 minimum - $20.00 cap on each bid and from Wednesday to game time it's FCFS for $2.00 each. All bids and FCFS are "real" money. We use these fee's to pay the High Score of the week throughout the 17 week season. The payout each week, during the last 5 years, has averaged $75.00. It's a great tool to keep everyone motivated to put their best line-up in every week as they have a legitimate shot to win $75.00 every week. Trades are $1.00 each.

Through 9 weeks this year our free agency format has raised $694,68.

Edited by theprofessor