[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Commissioner Advice Thread

CopeDog

Team A 6-3 record First Place in their division

Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB 198 7

McGahee, Willis BAL RB 72 7

Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB (P) 79 4

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB 103 5

Ward, Derrick TBB RB 45 8

Breaston, Steve ARI WR (P) 92 4

Colston, Marques NOS WR (P) 133 5

Owens, Terrell BUF WR (Q) 64 9

Ward, Hines PIT WR 145 8

Williams, Roy DAL WR

Team B 1-8 record last place and mathematically eliminated

Jones, Thomas NYJ RB 137 9

Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB 95 8

Slaton, Steve HOU RB 123 10

Sproles, Darren SDC RB 90 5

Tomlinson, LaDainian SDC RB (Q) 55 5

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR 89 8

Collie, Austin IND WR 88 6

Garcon, Pierre IND WR 72 6

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR (P) 135 4

Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Team A gives up Owens, Breaston, McGahee and Stewart, Team B gives up Jones and Jackson. No rules are in place preventing trades from teams that are out of the playoff hunt. Everything is not Kosher here, but what is the best way to handle this?

Edited by CopeDog

Looks like total BS to me. I would veto it and make a rule that teams out of playoff contention can't trade, unless it's a keeper league. If it's a keeper league that changes allot.

I don't think you tell teams that they cant trade, but bump up the trade deadline. Ours is week 8 (for this reason).

And for what it's worth, this trade seems a little shady to me.

Bumping up the trade deadline is the best course of action to avoid situations like this. If you want some insight into a similar situation look at my thread a couple slots down title "need advice on trade".

Also, consider establishing a rule that says a player must be absolutely, mathematically out of playoff contention in order to enforce a trade ban with that particular owner.

It always looks better for other owners to veto the trade than the Commissioner

Unless this is just a random league... you can just laugh it out

If we are talking about money league, prized league, keeper or something should be competitive..

You should inform all the members by sending them emails? Again, if prized is involved, owners tend to pay more attention.

Hopefully you have a rule stating 2 votes (or 3 votes) to veto a trade... with this rule, you shall be able to veto this easily

Rules for trade approval should be set up before the season starts, so there's no wacky drama after a deal has been done in Week 10.

Personally, I'm no fan of league's where the commish alone makes these rulings . . . especially when the commish is an owner, etc. To unfair to everyone to put the commish in that position.

Better to have a system where the other owners in the league collectively decide. If you have very involved owners, give everyone a vote and let majority rule. If you have owners who do not get involved, best to have a trade panel of 3-5 neutral teams.

While I agree that moving up the trade deadline reduces this sort of crap, it also is a barrier to fun and legit trades. Personally, I like allowing trades through the bye week period (Week 10).

Finally, my advice is to have a "Loser Bowl" bracket. This is a playoff where the worst teams in your league faceoff with the ultimate loser having to pay a meaningful financial penalty, etc. This helps keep the bad team owners honest and engaged.

This is what happens without proper rules in place. Owner A will claim 'you cannot see into the future'. Owner B will say 'djax and jones helped me to a 1-8 record how much worse can it get?' Good luck getting them to admit collusion.

Most of my leagues the trade deadlines have already passed. One of them uses American TG as the deadline and it can cause headaches like this.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. The problem with the rules is I was asked 2 days before the season started to be the commish, we had the draft the next day and the season started the following day. I know better rules should have been setup but I simply did not have the time to do so before the season started.