[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

wildcat

hooknladder

i'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed but let's revisit it. obviously no one runs it better than Miami.(in no small part due to a very talented Ronnie Brown). defenses are getting better at stopping it and the production out of that formation has gone down. however, it remains a deadly formation in the red zone. -by the time the defense figures out where the ball is it's approaching the goaline.

when Miami attempts to run it at mid-field the defense just cheats up. no one is afraid of Ronnie Browns' or Pat Whites' arm.

i guess i'd like to see Miami save the wildcat for the red zone and short yardage situations and roll with a more conventional set the rest of the time.

I think the Dolphins are better off with the ball in Ronnie & Ricky's hands than in the hands of Henne and their WR's. In many cases I could agree, but if you have a pretty bad or unproven quarterback, and the wildcat makes you a better team, stay with it until it breaks. Tennessee should take note.

After this past Sunday, I heard so many sports talk radio hosts announce how the wildcat is no longer viable and everyone's figured it out. I don't think that's true. The wildcat is not a problem for Miami. They do a great job with it. Miami's problem is their secondary. If their secondary was better, then they don't lose to the Colts or the Saints, and maybe not the Patriots.

Edited by electricrelish

Impossible for the Dolphins to play from behind with this formation.

I remember reading an article about the wishbone, and the same objection was raised; a propenent said "I don't know that I'm necessarily picking my offense because it allows me to catch up when I'm down big."

Otherwise EVERYONE would run the run-and-shoot/spread/no-huddle.

I remember reading an article about the wishbone, and the same objection was raised; a propenent said "I don't know that I'm necessarily picking my offense because it allows me to catch up when I'm down big."

Otherwise EVERYONE would run the run-and-shoot/spread/no-huddle.

exactly. i just wish they'd save it for short yardage and redzone, where it appears to be more effective.

After this past Sunday, I heard so many sports talk radio hosts announce how the wildcat is no longer viable and everyone's figured it out. I don't think that's true. The wildcat is not a problem for Miami. They do a great job with it. Miami's problem is their secondary. If their secondary was better, then they don't lose to the Colts or the Saints, and maybe not the Patriots.

Our rookie corners have actually been doing quite well of late. Our safties - not so much.

Even so - the problem is with the drops. The drops have been killing drives and keeping points off the board. Drives ended early are unable to take time off of the clock and put the ball in the other teams hands. The more often the ball is in the other teams hands the more likely they are to score.

ronnie might not have a strong arm, but he's been practicing his passing and his accuracy and technique are improving. He'll never be a QB, but he's getting pretty serious as a wildcat QB.

R. Brown was drafted by the Seattle Mariners out of High School (centerfielder) so he has a decent arm, not saying it's QB caliber but I'm sure it's better than some players trying to throw the football...cough cough R. Wayne :wacko:

Edited by 85thatstright10