[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Take the Team Strategy

chubbyparrot

Our work related 12 team league, which is a cash game, starts QB, RB, RB, WR/TE, WR/TE, WR/TE, DST, K

On draft day, we all made fun of the guy that took LT, Rivers, and Jackson. He has since traded for Gates. He is now in 3rd place at 5-3-1.

Another guy took Cutler, Hester, and Bennet. He has since acquired Knox and traded for Olsen. He is tied for 4th at 4-4-1.

And finally guy 3 took Brees, Bush, and Shockey. he is also tied for 4th at 4-4-1.

While I can certainly see a prolific pitcher catcher combo like Brady/Moss, Manning/Wayne, Warner/Fitz as the proverbial "double dip", I don't understand a strategy where taking all the weapons on a team and starting them weekly makes a lick of sense. If the team gets shot down, YOU ARE SCREWED! Even the "double dip duos" are a risk if they have a bad game. (Moss/Brady guy is 4-5 BTW)

I guess the reason I bring this up is that I have been in Fantasy for 5 years and I have never seen this type of insanity exercised by so many owners. They paid their money and can do what they want I guess, but it's sort of like going to the nudie bar and paying the cover so you can get a cup of coffee to go...what's the point?

I would love to hear your opinions, whether there are any teams that are successful with this strategy in your leagues, and if I missed any FF pundits writing that this was the newest and best play. (I'm pretty sure I didn't)

Oh I do have Hass/Burleson, but that's just the way it fell, it wasn't a strategy. The only time I started them both I got burned BAD! I'm 2nd at 7-2.

While I would never purposefully target players just for being on the same team, if they were who the owners felt were the highest scoring available player when they drafted (or best offer when looking to trade), then it makes all the sense in the world. If they targeted them just because they were on the same team and passed over players they felt would score more, than it makes no sense at all. Now of coourse all the eggs are in one basket, so you hope you pick the right basket.

I only did that one year and it wasn't intentional. It was Edge's rookie year and I took him in the first, Peyton in the second and Marvin in the third. It was the strongest team in the league that year. Of course I lost the colts bye week and it ended up screwing me as the colts sat the big three down the second half of the game that was our Superbowl week and I got clobbered by Steve Beurline and his 5 td passes. But I'm not bitter! lol

one of our guys drafted Wayne, Addai, and Dallas Clark (ahead of Gates which made us all laugh out loud).

Noone is laughing now, he's 5-4 with the 3rd highest scoring team. Very dangerous team.

I do hope I get to face him in the final though, the Colts should have #1 or #2 seed wrapped up and these guys will be hitting the bench!

I only did that one year and it wasn't intentional. It was Edge's rookie year and I took him in the first, Peyton in the second and Marvin in the third. It was the strongest team in the league that year. Of course I lost the colts bye week and it ended up screwing me as the colts sat the big three down the second half of the game that was our Superbowl week and I got clobbered by Steve Beurline and his 5 td passes. But I'm not bitter! lol

wow, you took a rookie RB in the FIRST round that year..?

I grabbed Brees in the 2nd and Colston in the 4th... Not intentionally but just because they fell. I have gotten completely screwed the two weeks that brees through for under 200 and no scores (and their bye). I have the most points in my league(and most points against), but am sitting at 4-4-1, and not looking likely to make the playoffs, even though I think i have one of the top two best teams in the league.

One guy in our draft barely prepped and drafted a whole bunch of Saints along with Reggie Wayne: Brees, Thomas, Bell, their Kicker and D.

8-1.

It only works with the right team. The Chargers are iffy and the guy doing it with the Bears should call himself smoke and mirrors with a record like that.

Does anyone really have a strategy in which they actively attempt to get a lot of guys from the same team just because they are on the same team?

Have you seen how many people post in the preseason about targeting QB/WR and/or RB combos because they "double dip" points?

Have you seen how many people post in the preseason about targeting QB/WR and/or RB combos because they "double dip" points?

Yep. That topic seems to come up every season as there are always some folks out there that seem to believe there is some sort of extra value in owning "the hookup". These are often the same folks who will also start a WR or TE from their own team because their opponent is starting the QB that throws to them :wacko:

8-man local league, dude drafted Warner, Fitz, Boldin, Rackers, Hightower and Wells on purpose.

He is 7-2, but also has the lowest points against and is only 5th highest scoring. He has great matchups in our playoffs however and is a team I do not want to play in the SuperBowl (if I get there). Seems like it is working for him, but he has lost 2 out last 3.

Edited by heehawks

wow, you took a rookie RB in the FIRST round that year..?

Probably not real bright looking back, but I had only been playing for a couple of years and was still just winging it. The Colts had looked really good in the preseason games. Hell, my first fantasy football pick ever was Kordell Stewart. Right off the cover of a magazine. Now that was a bonehead pick. ha ha

But back to the topic of "Team Drafting", if you pick the right team with an explosive offense, you can dominate your league, but come playoff time, you can be a victim of the teams sucess. I have seen it happen several times over the years. A guy in our league had Elway, TD, and Rod Smith one year during one of Denvers Superbowl runs and got whacked in the Superbowl just like I did the year I had all the Colts, when they sat the studs for the last couple "meaningless" games. The Colts and Saints are prime examples this year. If they get home field advantage locked up by week 14 or so, they may decide to rest and protect their studs just when you really need them for the fantasy playoffs. That kind off thing can make you drink heavily and I think should be avoided. Just my opinion.

But back to the topic of "Team Drafting", if you pick the right team with an explosive offense, you can dominate your league, but come playoff time, you can be a victim of the teams sucess. I have seen it happen several times over the years. A guy in our league had Elway, TD, and Rod Smith one year during one of Denvers Superbowl runs and got whacked in the Superbowl just like I did the year I had all the Colts, when they sat the studs for the last couple "meaningless" games. The Colts and Saints are prime examples this year. If they get home field advantage locked up by week 14 or so, they may decide to rest and protect their studs just when you really need them for the fantasy playoffs. That kind off thing can make you drink heavily and I think should be avoided. Just my opinion.

But do you really think the Saints will have it wrapped up over the Vikings? They are througher the thougher stretch of their schedule...

A guy in my league regularly starts six Vikings (Favre, Peterson, Rice, Harvin, DST and kicker). He is 5-4 and tied for the lead in his division. I got to play him last week and he didn't have enough space to make a full lineup during his bye, but most weeks his team scores very high.

1st place team in my local 12 teamer has P. Manning , Wayne , Clark , and Addai. He is 8-1 and the team to beat right now. We'll see when it comes to playoff time (Wks.15-16)and IF the colts are not still undefeated how the coach rests his players going into their own playoffs. If there is full bore go for colts during our playoffs don't see many teams competing with this guy by the way he also has H. Ward , S. Smith NYG, Steelers Def and R. Williams/BJacobs as his 2 other RBs usually starts R.Williams. So it can work but wouldn't recommend it to every team in a league just sometimes the right situation such as this one is golden.

But do you really think the Saints will have it wrapped up over the Vikings? They are througher the thougher stretch of their schedule...

No, I wasn't making any predictions. Just giving examples of teams that could be in a position to rest their best players during the fantasy playoffs. It could apply to the Vikings or any other team that locks up their playoff position early.

There are guys in our league that over-emphasize the double dip, but that's as far as I've seen it taken. Purely by coincidence I've got Rodgers/Driver and Palmer/Ochocinco . . . but the pairings are not by design . . . and frankly, I'd rather have similar consistency and production from someone on a different team. The way our draft worked, these were the best WRs available to me for their price.

Somebody in my league practically has the whole colts on his roster, he didn't draft that way but over time (WW, trades) I think the 6 out of the 9 of his starters are Colts. His team looks like this

Manning

Calvin Johnson, Garcon, Collie, L. Evans

Addai, Grant, Portis

Gates

Stover

Indy D

Original Roster

Manning

Cotchery, Lee Evans, Holt, some other bum

Turner, Grant, L. Johnson, D. Brown

Gates

Rackers

DAL D

He had a bad draft, and started like 0-4 so he made some trades and waiver wire moves to aquire all the colts...Picked up Garcon, Collie, Stover and Indy D off waivers....traded Ochocinco and Donald Brown for Addai and Calvin...his only Colt from his draft is Manning....needless to say he is 2-7 and out of contention