[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals - Steelers

Bengal Mania

I'm not bold enough to say the Bengals WILL win Sunday. Steelers the World Champs after all, a damn good team.

Truth-be-told, I can stomach a loss (since they beat the Ravens twice already) and still be very hopeful for a very good season outcome, as long as they don't get spanked.

However, all the OLD reasons why the Bengals would have "no chance", IMO, are mostly gone.

1 - "The Bengals just suck" - no, they don't. they could suck again in the future, they could even suck in their play on Sunday. But as of right now, they don't suck. They are actually quite good.

2 - "It's the STEEELERS!" (say it with a dramatic tone) - true, I can't argue that one.

3 - "Bengals can't stop the run" - not true this year, they are especially good at stopping the run. I admit Mendanudo is looking quite studly. I think they will not be as deft at stopping him. Hope they keep it moderate though.

4 - "Bengals can't rush the passer" - not true this year (although losing Odom was HUGH loss). DBs are covering very well, Zimmer is game-planning very well. If they contain or catch Roethlisburget, I say they win.

5 - "Bengals can't..............(is this a theme?)...........run the ball" - uhhh, no. I'd be very happy if Ced gets a tough 90+ yds, hopefully w/ a TD. Pitt is great at stopping run, so it might be a lot to hope for. But i think Benson has outperformed expectations in every tough matchup this year.

6 - "Bengals line sucks" - they are outplaying expectations by a wide margin. LeBeau is a gameplan master, and won't be surprisd if he again comes with a great plan, but the line doesn't suck.

7 - "Palmer is not as good as Roethlisburger" - isn't it interesting how good Palmer looks again this year with a very good running game, good line, and now (this part it new) a good defense. Are there any other QBs in the NFL this reminds you of? I think Roethlisburger is a great QB, but I also think he's more prone to bad decisions than Palmer...so if they get to him, there's better chances for turnovers. Turnovers by Palmer in this game would likely be more attributable to a stellar defense.

8 - "Paulamalau is back" - this is the truest test. he's a stud..................but I dare anyone from Pitt to say the Head & Shoulders commercials make him more manly...............does he have a girlfriend? Of course, that has no bearing on the game

I'm not predicting. Pitt is and should be favored, and won't be surprised at all if they win.

But I think the "new" Bengals play them tough, and I say they definitly CAN win.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not bold enough to say the Bengals WILL win Sunday. Steelers the World Champs after all, a damn good team.

Truth-be-told, I can stomach a loss (since they beat the Ravens twice already) and still be very hopeful for a very good season outcome, as long as they don't get spanked.

However, all the OLD reasons why the Bengals would have "no chance", IMO, are mostly gone.

1 - "The Bengals just suck" - no, they don't. they could suck again in the future, they could even suck in their play on Sunday. But as of right now, they don't suck. They are actually quite good.

2 - "It's the STEEELERS!" (say it with a dramatic tone) - true, I can't argue that one.

3 - "Bengals can't stop the run" - not true this year, they are especially good at stopping the run. I admit Mendanudo is looking quite studly. I think they will not be as deft at stopping him. Hope they keep it moderate though.

4 - "Bengals can't rush the passer" - not true this year (although losing Odom was HUGH loss). DBs are covering very well, Zimmer is game-planning very well. If they contain or catch Roethlisburget, I say they win.

5 - "Bengals can't..............(is this a theme?)...........run the ball" - uhhh, no. I'd be very happy if Ced gets a tough 90+ yds, hopefully w/ a TD. Pitt is great at stopping run, so it might be a lot to hope for. But i think Benson has outperformed expectations in every tough matchup this year.

6 - "Bengals line sucks" - they are outplaying expectations by a wide margin. LeBeau is a gameplan master, and won't be surprisd if he again comes with a great plan, but the line doesn't suck.

7 - "Palmer is not as good as Roethlisburger" - isn't it interesting how good Palmer looks again this year with a very good running game, good line, and now (this part it new) a good defense. Are there any other QBs in the NFL this reminds you of? I think Roethlisburger is a great QB, but I also think he's more prone to bad decisions than Palmer...so if they get to him, there's better chances for turnovers. Turnovers by Palmer in this game would likely be more attributable to a stellar defense.

8 - "Paulamalau is back" - this is the truest test. he's a stud..................but I dare anyone from Pitt to say the Head & Shoulders commercials make him more manly...............does he have a girlfriend? Of course, that has no bearing on the game

I'm not predicting. Pitt is and should be favored, and won't be surprised at all if they win.

But I think the "new" Bengals play them tough, and I say they definitly CAN win.

Very good post. I don't disagree with anything, except, that Roethlisberger and the Steelers won a Super Bowl last year with one of the worst lines in the NFL. That line is much better this year. Other than that, you made some great points. It should be a good one on Sunday.

While I agree that beating Balt last week was huge (I think Cincy needed to win 1 of these 2 games), simply put they lose on Sunday and the division is OVER.

Look at Pitt's schedule. After this they lose TOPS 2 more games.

Now even if Cincy loses worst case they go 10-6 (maybe 11-5).

But ANY division dreams make this game a must win for them Sunday.

Everyone seems (or many) that the Indy-NE game is the game of the week, but this one is every bit as good... maybe better.

I think I need to see more of Mendenhall before I crown his butt, and this would be a perfect let down game for Pit after the Denver shellacking, but at home, against a division rival, I can't see it. I'm very tempted to take Cincy here, but the Steelrs at home... gotta like the Steelers here.

I would have to say Roth is better then Palmer. Honestly Roth Belongs right behind Brady and Manning and if he continues his current trajectory he may surpass them....but you can say that about just about anyone..history has to play out. I mean come on Palmer hasn't won a playoff game. The Steelers become Super Bowl contenders and winners after he came on board. What is really funny about Roths introduction to the NFL was through the entire summer before his rookie year the media was the Steelers are mediocre this and bad at this. after the Steelers just finished the 2003 season 6-10..When Ben took over the offense and they won 14 in a row. The media was then well he has such a great supporting cast and he is a manager. What??? yet more horrific observations by media that does not pay attention.

I am a big time Steelers fan so take it for whatever it is worth.

if i were putting together a team, i'd take ben over palmer. he's more elusive, deadly accurate, plays with a ton of heart, and finds ways to win. over the past few seasons, he has been very impressive. palmers is a good NFL quarterback, but he's very precise and too rarely makes something out of nothing with his athletic ability. probably a better pure passer overall, but if i had to have a QB to win a game, it would be ben over carson for me.

regarding the bengals chances, how can anyone say that they cannot win this game. they have already beat the steelers, so of course they can win.

I am a Steelers fan, but I admit, this is a tough game. There is no way we should have lost the first one, and I agree, it does have a 17-13 feel to it. Of course I feel the Steelers are going to win, but the key to the game for me is, who will be bale to run the ball, control the clock and limit the mistakes.

The Steeler's offense is on a roll, and I think they get the defensive edge in this one.

I would have to say Roth is better then Palmer. Honestly Roth Belongs right behind Brady and Manning and if he continues his current trajectory he may surpass them....but you can say that about just about anyone..history has to play out. I mean come on Palmer hasn't won a playoff game. The Steelers become Super Bowl contenders and winners after he came on board. What is really funny about Roths introduction to the NFL was through the entire summer before his rookie year the media was the Steelers are mediocre this and bad at this. after the Steelers just finished the 2003 season 6-10..When Ben took over the offense and they won 14 in a row. The media was then well he has such a great supporting cast and he is a manager. What??? yet more horrific observations by media that does not pay attention.

I am a big time Steelers fan so take it for whatever it is worth.

I agree. While Brady and Manning can make the passes all day, Roth has that little extra with avoiding sacks.

Bengals pass coverage is impressive. 2 sacks on Roethlisberger where he had all day, but, no one could get open and tight coverage on other passes. I expected more points, but, good game so far.

what happened to Mendenhall?

I think he is fine. Moore is always in there in 2-minute offense.

I'm happy to have the lead, but, 3 times inside the ten and only getting 3 field goals might come back to haunt them.

Santonio drops a TD that him him right in the hands. Why didn't he flex after that drop ? :wacko: