[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike McCarthy

Big Ernie McCracken

:wacko: I wonder if Thompson will kick Gilbert Brown out of the Packers hall of Fame?

On who is to blame for the Packers situation this season:

"It is the head coach's fault. Everything that goes on starts with the big man upfront. (Host: You said it was the personnel?) It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter with the talent and what you put on the field if you keep making mistakes week in and week out and you don't correct it and the same thing keeps going on, guys running off the field. You got guys undisciplined like Johnny Jolly. Somebody has to step up and fix that and the head coach is the guy that is supposed to take care of everything at 1265 and when he can't, he turns around and he's supposed to have Ted standing right behind him to fix it as well. It starts with them two guys."

Whether firing an assistant coach on offense or defense would help shake things up:

"Nope. If you want to shake it up you go to take out the head honchos. That is the only way because they still let that go on. You mean to tell me…I am coaching the Lacrosse Spartans, right…Let's say that I am the head coach over there and my offensive line coach is steady letting these stupid penalties go on. Am I going to just sit there and say look man fix it or I am going to get rid of you? I am pretty sure that has gone on. If you don't do anything about it he must like his offensive line to do what they are doing. So there is no changes. It is week 10. How much do you got to do before you do something?"

Former Packer Gilbert Brown on WSSP in Milwaukee with the Big Show says the Packers problems start with Thompson and McCarthy

and my favorite quote:

"The Vikings have stole our swagger, period," Brown said. "Everybody on that team stole our swagger. Took our quarterback. Took our heart on Lambeau Field. Took our heart in front of millions of fans on TV. Then you go out and lose to an 0-7 team. The debacle started when they played the Vikings right there. The two Vikings games crushed the season."

Keep it real Gilbert :D

Could that be that Gilbert was first cut by the Vikings before the Packers claimed him off waivers?

Yeah - I don't think he made the team the year he was drafted. He was cut because he couldn't control his weight. He played on probably one of the best D lines during the mid 90's...White, Dotson, Jones..

Around here, a couple of his co-workers say this guy actually did say what he says he did not. They may have been the ones to narc on the guy, not McCarthy.

I used to work for the Milwaukee Brewers and their policy was that the pee-ons were not to talk to the higher ups. I rode up the elevator with the GM at the time (who was lousy), but kept my mouth shut. I also kept my job. I am assuming the policy in GB is basically the same.

McCarthy says he didn't fire anybody

Posted by Mike Florio on November 13, 2009 2:08 PM ET

Earlier today, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Mike Wood, a part-time employee at Lambeau Field for 22 years, was fired on the day of the Vikings-Packers game due to something he supposedly said three days earlier to coach Mike McCarthy.

The team, according to Wood, advised him that he told McCarthy to not "lay an egg."

Asked about the report during a Friday radio appearance, McCarthy told WTMJ that he "did not fire anybody in the maintenance department," per Greg Bedard of the Journal Sentinel.

It's possible that McCarthy is mincing words. Did he personally fire anyone? No. Did he tell the guy who runs the maintenance department about the Third Eye Blind who told him not to lay an egg? Possibly.

Indeed, McCarthy likely had no authority to fire Wood. But he surely had the ability to make his displeasure known to the person in position to fire Wood. And then nature takes it own course.

So McCarthy won't be wiggling off the hook on this one simply by making like Sgt. Schulz. Though it might take a few macaroons to pry the truth out of McCarthy, he'd be wise to come clean. Otherwise, the stonewalling will make him look even worse.

I don't see the big deal. If I was at work and mouthed off to someone higher up then me, and was fired, I wouldn't be shocked. As said above, Peons shouldn't speak ill to anyone who is way higher up the food chain. If what wood is saying did happen, then yes, it's bush league... But still, saying something like that can and in this case did get him fired.

Maybe McCarthy thinks that solving the problems with the team meant that they had to fire the maintenance guy. I guess now the team is going to turn things around because, hey, if they can fire the maintenance guy with impunity then nobody's job is really safe. that should scare them into righting the ship.

Around here, a couple of his co-workers say this guy actually did say what he says he did not. They may have been the ones to narc on the guy, not McCarthy.

I used to work for the Milwaukee Brewers and their policy was that the pee-ons were not to talk to the higher ups. I rode up the elevator with the GM at the time (who was lousy), but kept my mouth shut. I also kept my job. I am assuming the policy in GB is basically the same.

That's totally lame. How full of yourself must you be if you only want the "important" people talking to you? I mean, really, the pee-on can't even say "hi"?

Edited by tosberg34