[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Instant Replay SUCKS

Grits and Shins

Instant replay is all about getting the call right ... that is what I keep hearing.

So in the Dallas game Romo is hit from the blind side and fumbles the ball. Felix Jones covers it up and is subsequently rolled over onto his back and stripped of the ball. Clearly Felix had recovered the ball and was down by contact. On the field it was ruled GB ball.

Wade throws the red flag and is told that play is not reviewable UNLESS IT IS IN THE ENDZONE.

That is total bullmanure.

Then in the same game McCarthy throws a red flag and they umpire crew proceeds to review the call when they realize GB had no challenges left. Why isn't GB penalized for this?

Having said all that ... Green Bay handed Dallas' ass to them today.

Instant replay is all about getting the call right ... that is what I keep hearing.

So in the Dallas game Romo is hit from the blind side and fumbles the ball. Felix Jones covers it up and is subsequently rolled over onto his back and stripped of the ball. Clearly Felix had recovered the ball and was down by contact. On the field it was ruled GB ball.

Wade throws the red flag and is told that play is not reviewable UNLESS IT IS IN THE ENDZONE.

That is total bullmanure.

Then in the same game McCarthy throws a red flag and they umpire crew proceeds to review the call when they realize GB had no challenges left. Why isn't GB penalized for this?

Having said all that ... Green Bay handed Dallas' ass to them today.

I disagree - replay isn't perfek but these guys are getting the right call most of the time IMO

fwiw - 100% impartial on the Dal/GB game - it was not a CLEAR recovery by Jones at all, I don't think Felix ever had full posession of the football and they got it right

I do agree there has to be a penalty for being out of challenges, no question

Felix clearly had possession and rolled over to his back still maintaining possession, then he gets contacted and gets the ball ripped from his hands. This is a play that will be reviewable next year without a doubt. Dallas got hosed on that play. Dallas also got owned by the Pack (as much as it saddens me to say it). I also wondered why GB wasn't penalized for at least a delay of game call when they tried to challenge when they were out of challenges. Part of me wondered if the announcing crew had not pointed out the fact that GB was out of challenges would the officials have even noticed? I think someone called down to the officials and told them to stop the review as GB was out of challenges. BUT GB still got the clock stopped while the non-review took place...sure seems as though that is as much of a penalty as calling a timeout when you are already out of timeouts.

Regardless GB took it to my Boys yesterday - congrats GB!

KO'd

BUT GB still got the clock stopped while the non-review took place...sure seems as though that is as much of a penalty as calling a timeout when you are already out of timeouts.

After checking the rules, that should had been a 15-yard penalty. :wacko:

Rule 15, Section 9: "for initiating a challenge when all of a team’s timeouts have been exhausted or when all of its available challenges have been used: Loss of 15 yards."

After checking the rules, that should had been a 15-yard penalty. :wacko:

Rule 15, Section 9: "for initiating a challenge when all of a team’s timeouts have been exhausted or when all of its available challenges have been used: Loss of 15 yards."

Well crap...I was hoping I was wrong...bad piece of officiating all around.

Thanks for looking that up BJ!

KO'd

Big John is correct that there should have been a 15 yrd penatly...

fwiw these are all the reviewable calls

Reviewable Plays. The Replay System will cover the following play situations only:

(a) Plays governed by Sideline, Goal Line, End Zone, and End Line:

1. Scoring plays, including a runner breaking the plane of the goal line.

2. Pass complete/incomplete/intercepted at sideline, goal line, end zone, and end

line.

3. Runner/receiver in or out of bounds.

4. Recovery of loose ball in or out of bounds.

(B ) Passing plays:

1. Pass ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted in the field of play.

2. Touching of a forward pass by an ineligible receiver.

3. Touching of a forward pass by a defensive player.

4. Quarterback (Passer) forward pass or fumble.

5. Illegal forward pass beyond line of scrimmage.

6. Illegal forward pass after change of possession.

7. Forward or backward pass thrown from behind line of scrimmage.

© Other reviewable plays:

1. Runner ruled not down by defensive contact.

2. Runner ruled down by defensive contact when the recovery of a fumble by an

opponent or a teammate occurs in the action that happens following the

fumble.

Note 1: If the ruling of down by contact or incomplete pass is changed, the ball belongs

to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery of the fumble, and any advance is

nullified.

Note 2: If the Referee does not have indisputable visual evidence as to which player recovered

the loose ball, the ruling on the field will stand.

Note 3: This does not apply to complete/incomplete passes, or the ruling of forward

progress.

5. Forward progress with respect to a first down.

6. Touching of a kick.

7. A field goal or Try attempt that crosses below or above the crossbar, inside or outside

the uprights when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or touches anything.

8. Number of players on the field.

9. Illegal forward handoff.

Note: Non-reviewable plays include but are not limited to:

1. Status of the clock

2. Proper down

3. Penalty administration

3. Ruling of incomplete pass when the recovery of a passer’s fumble by an opponent

or a teammate occurs in the action following the fumble.

4. Ruling of a loose ball out of bounds when it is recovered in the field of play

by an opponent or a teammate in the action after the ball hits the ground.

Rule 15, Section 9

OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 109

4. Runner ruled down by defensive contact (not involving fumbles)

5. Forward progress not relating to first down or goal line

6. Recovery of loose ball in the field of play

7. Field goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching

anything.

8. Inadvertent Whistle

Edited by keggerz

Note: Non-reviewable plays include but are not limited to:

1. Status of the clock

2. Proper down

3. Ruling of incomplete pass when the recovery of a passer’s fumble by an opponent

or a teammate occurs in the action following the fumble.

4. Ruling of a loose ball out of bounds when it is recovered in the field of play

by an opponent or a teammate in the action after the ball hits the ground.

Rule 15, Section 9

OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 109

4. Runner ruled down by defensive contact (not involving fumbles)

6. Recovery of loose ball in the field of play

7. Field goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching

anything.

Anyone understand why these can't be reviewed? As long as coaches have a limited number of challenges and conclusive evidence is required to overturn the call, there shouldn't be anything different about these rulings than any other.

while i don't have a strong opinion of the play in question, i agree the NFL replay system

SUCKS

i don't watch a lot of college football, but i like the way they do it. if they see something upsteairs that they want to take another look at, they buzz down. they strive to get EVERY play right. i think that's the right thing to do.

It reminds me of the week previous in Philly when Dmac doesnt get a correct spot, a challenge is made, and even though it is obvious on national televsion, they can't get it right. Strange and counter-productive......Isn't the whole point to get it right? It just winds up slowing down the game and making it boring. :wacko:

I had no vested interest in the game, but I was yelling at the TV "That's a penalty!" Apparently they didn't hear me. Inexcusable on the part of the refs.