[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ to Cincy?

ReturnToSender

Larry Johnson, RB KC

News: ESPN reports that RB Larry Johnson is on his way to Cincinnati to sign with the Bengals. Johnson, who was released by the Chiefs last Monday, was expected to sign with a playoff contender. A call put in to Johnson's agent by CBSSports.com requested an inquiry after 6 p.m. ET, which hints that there will be official news on the signing by then. Johnson's signing might signal that starting RB Cedric Benson's hip injury is worse than the team is letting on.

Analysis: If Johnson's signing in Cincinnati becomes official, he'll have the chance to start taking touches away from Benson almost immediately. Johnson will be running behind a fantastic offensive line, and even though he won't see every carry like he pretty much did in Kansas City, he should be able to pitch in and find the end zone. He's worth claiming off waivers and stashing on benches for the time being.

CBS Sportsline

News: Amid the breaking news that the Bengals were going to sign RB Larry Johnson, head coach Marvin Lewis added some clarity to the situation. Lewis said that Johnson would be with the Bengals as an insurance policy and not as a running back to take carries from Cedric Benson. He added that Johnson would not impact the team's depth chart, meaning that backups Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard would be ahead of Johnson in the rushing pecking order. Johnson would even be listed as inactive "initially," according to Lewis.Analysis: We suppose that if Johnson is looking to help a team win a Super Bowl regardless of his role, he'll take Lewis up on his offer to join the team. But Johnson might not want to sit on the bench, which is why rumors about him signing with the Bengals have subsided. In fact, Lewis confirmed that Johnson would be in for a visit and that his signing is not imminent. We'll keep you posted, but Johnson has gone from a potential workload partner of Cedric Benson to a reserve running back pretty quickly. Frankly, we'd be surprised to see Johnson not utilized in Cincinnati.

CBS

News: Amid the breaking news that the Bengals were going to sign RB Larry Johnson, head coach Marvin Lewis added some clarity to the situation. Lewis said that Johnson would be with the Bengals as an insurance policy and not as a running back to take carries from Cedric Benson. He added that Johnson would not impact the team's depth chart, meaning that backups Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard would be ahead of Johnson in the rushing pecking order. Johnson would even be listed as inactive "initially," according to Lewis.Analysis: We suppose that if Johnson is looking to help a team win a Super Bowl regardless of his role, he'll take Lewis up on his offer to join the team. But Johnson might not want to sit on the bench, which is why rumors about him signing with the Bengals have subsided. In fact, Lewis confirmed that Johnson would be in for a visit and that his signing is not imminent. We'll keep you posted, but Johnson has gone from a potential workload partner of Cedric Benson to a reserve running back pretty quickly. Frankly, we'd be surprised to see Johnson not utilized in Cincinnati.

CBS

similar on Bengals.com (won't copy article) from Lewis press conference.

Not crazy about the baggage that might come w/ Johnson, but glad Lewis seems to be handling this very well to avoid possible disruption. Personally, I don't see this as a fit, although I do see why the Bengals might want an experienced backup if Benson were to get severly hurt. (I would guess they'd be more than happy w/ what they have if it's purely for spelling purposes***)

***When I say "spelling purposes", I'm referring to the act of resting the starter for a few snaps, letting the backup play. I am not referring the spelling of the name of Larry Gohnson.

Boy do I feel like a schmo for keeping Lefty Gomez, I mean, he's been dead for 20 years. I'd get more production out of Fred Lane

Yep. Lefty is Long Gone

head coach Marvin Lewis added some clarity to the situation. Lewis said that Johnson would be with the Bengals as an insurance policy and not as a running back to take carries from Cedric Benson. He added that Johnson would not impact the team's depth chart, meaning that backups Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard would be ahead of Johnson in the rushing pecking order. Johnson would even be listed as inactive "initially," according to Lewis.

Regardless, I've got him stashed on my bench.. Never know what will happen in a few weeks as the "fantasy playoff's" are approaching.