[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Because you Vikings fans asked for it...

tosberg34

I realize that I am in the minority here on this issue, but I think all things considered that Childress deserves an extension of some sort. I also think it could wait until we see what happens in the playoffs, because I think there are several good coaching candidates hanging out there, and I do question some of the things that have happened in the past.

To me, the bottom line is, the team has improved every season, and markedly so. I blamed Childress extensively for his play calling last season, the special teams ridiculousness, the penalties (especially Cook at RT), and of course for Jackson. I realize that at times in the past, he has made questionable decisions, and those always stand out. But to look at where we are now, I honestly have to say that every complaint that I have had about this team has been addressed, the team is not only relevant but a definite Super Bowl contender, and is well positioned for the future. What more could we ask for?

How many times have teams hired coaches that were supposed to be terrific and watched things disintegrate? How many teams have a slow and steady progression like this team has had? Does anyone actually think that a coach like Cowher is going to come to Minnesota? I don't. Shanahan is already negotiating with Buffalo. Who do you want to replace what we have working here now? Shottenheimer? Gruden (which I could see, but is a serious gamble)? Who else? A college coach that you have no idea would work out on the pro level? An NFL retread?

It is at least partially Childress' fault that Brett Favre is our QB right now. Perhaps almost completely. Childress went down to talk personally with Percy Harvin to see what the kid was made of one on one. He singled out the issues that were problematic like the offensive line and special teams, and we drafted a terrific RT in Loadholt and picked up some good special teams type players in the draft and in free agency.

He does not make the offensive play calls, nor the defensive play calls. He gave up the offensive play calling duties, and both the offense and game management is much better this season. The adjustments that are made at halftime are incredibly more effective and address game issues much more than in seasons past - I can only assume that is because Childress is not calling the offense and has more time to get an overall feel for the game. The Vikes ALWAYS got beat after halftime in years past, and never changed much of anything. The new situation simply works better.

I understand not liking Childress. I understand having issues with him in the past. I had them. I screamed at the TV and at the game repeatedly. Now I scream at the TV because I can't believe how well this team is put together, the decisions that are made, and how good the team REALLY is.

Be careful what you wish for. I certainly understand Packer fans making fun of Childress and us for having him. I remember thinking I wished I had McCarthy instead of Childress. I still might think that, I'm not sure. But I certainly don't think a coach that has overseen the transformation of this team to the position it is in, and should be in for a while, should not be rewarded with a bump in pay, and a small extension. I DO NOT think he deserves a long extension, and hopefully the euphoria will not cause that to happen.

I haven't been a big fan of the Childress style of offense, but it's hard to argue with victory. I think it is a mistake to give him an extension right now. Too much season left to play. If he continues to win and makes a DEEP run in the playoffs, then of course he deserves an extension. To give him one before he proves that he can keep it going is pretty stupid. He's not going anywhere and he's under contract. What's the rush?

I would agree with you, I honestly don't know, either. Trust me, I have had numerous issues with Childress, but I have not had those same issues this season. Winning cures most ills, for sure. There can be no doubt that Favre saved his arse, and we would not be where we are today without him. But I can't help but think of how many people wrote Favre off completely, and how many people are writing off Childress repeatedly. I have little doubt that a team this loaded with stars will lose some when the season is over, and we know what the Favre offseason could bring.

But I have to say I think he deserves an extension, albeit a sensible one. Another issue here is the stadium issue, and there's no doubt that Team Wilf wants to keep things as solid and positive as possible to get that new stadium.

Why now, and not in February?

Possibly because Ziggy wants to make everything seem as solid as possible, and perhaps he actually believes in Childress and what he believes in. There has been a lot of talk that the stadium issue (against common perception) may come up soon, and if we've learned nothing about Wilf, he certainly knows how to play the game of politics. I have no idea if that's true, but an owner who has probably already made money on the squad, who is a good businessman and will spend money, is probably not above doing everything he can to make this investment look attractive to the legislature. They certainly voted for other stadiums recently, and the iron is certainly hot for the Vikings, with the L.A. stuff going on, and the team doing so well.

Just a side thought to your question.

And, everything I posted before, too, still works for me...

I am happy to report that Brad Childress looks like he will be your coach for the foreseeable future. Congratulations Vikings fans, because you deserve it!

Link to your fortune

Whats his record compared to McCarthy's?

How many times have teams hired coaches that were supposed to be terrific and watched things disintegrate? How many teams have a slow and steady progression like this team has had? Does anyone actually think that a coach like Cowher is going to come to Minnesota? I don't. Shanahan is already negotiating with Buffalo. Who do you want to replace what we have working here now? Shottenheimer? Gruden (which I could see, but is a serious gamble)? Who else? A college coach that you have no idea would work out on the pro level? An NFL retread?

Childress built this great team. If he continues to evaluate talent and drafts good players like he has, this team will be competive for years to come. That means there is a good chance of winning the division and and a good chance of going deep into the playoffs. Lets look at Cowher. How many years did he coach before he won a Superbowl? 14 years? You think he would have lasted here? Vikings fans may not know how good we have it.

I would agree with you, I honestly don't know, either. Trust me, I have had numerous issues with Childress, but I have not had those same issues this season. Winning cures most ills, for sure. There can be no doubt that Favre saved his arse, and we would not be where we are today without him. But I can't help but think of how many people wrote Favre off completely, and how many people are writing off Childress repeatedly. I have little doubt that a team this loaded with stars will lose some when the season is over, and we know what the Favre offseason could bring.

But I have to say I think he deserves an extension, albeit a sensible one. Another issue here is the stadium issue, and there's no doubt that Team Wilf wants to keep things as solid and positive as possible to get that new stadium.

The Favre thing could have backfired too? Childress put it all on the table bringing him in.

Why now, and not in February?

Why not - who cares if he gets a raise? He is the lowest paid coach and deserves one. Players and coaches get paid on perfomance. They are disposable and if they fail they get fired. Its Zygi's money - not yours.

I'm not sure if the Vikings are winning because of Childress or in spite of him. Favre definitely saved his bacon, that's for sure. But then again, I bet Favre could have saved Jauron's bacon as well.

Wrong - Take out his 1st year here as most of the players were from the previous regime. Now there are only 11 players left from his 1st year. He went 8-8 and 10-6 (18-14) with Garbage quarterbacks and won the division. Gimme a f'n break - T-Jack and Gus Freotte. That record goes to show that maybe it is coaching? He brings in Favre and were 8-1 and could have been 9-0 because of some player mistakes.

Edited by Outshined

Wrong - Take out his 1st year here as most of the players were from the previous regime. Now there are only 11 players left from his 1st year. He went 8-8 and 10-6 (18-14) with Garbage quarterbacks and won the division. Gimme a f'n break - T-Jack and Gus Freotte. That record goes to show that maybe it is coaching? He brings in Favre and were 8-1 and could have been 9-0 because of some player mistakes.

I think Favre saved his bacon. If he didn't get lucky enough to have AP's college injuries scare some people away, they would be a different team. Didn't the Childress regime introduce the "poison pill" contract offer for free agents when they picked up that tackle from Seattle? If Favre didn't sign and Sage didn't become a legit NFL starter, then Childress would be a lame duck right now. Of all the complaints I've heard from Vikings fans (I used to live there) the biggest problem was that the team had visible talent with an absent minded professor at coach. And winning that division isn't quite the prize you think it is when you have one of the best O lines, D lines, and running backs in the league. They should wait on giving him an extension and see what happens in the playoffs. But hey, I don't really like the Vikings. I hope you guys extend him. :wacko:

I think Favre saved his bacon. If he didn't get lucky enough to have AP's college injuries scare some people away, they would be a different team.

Thats what makes him good, he is willing to take chances and they worked. He could have taken the safe route too. Like taking Harvin this year after everybody passed. So far its worked great. Its not what other teams didnt do....

Didn't the Childress regime introduce the "poison pill" contract offer for free agents when they picked up that tackle from Seattle?

I am not so sure they did it. I think Hutch may have asked for it. He wasnt too happy Seattle didnt extend him.

If Favre didn't sign and Sage didn't become a legit NFL starter, then Childress would be a lame duck right now.

Thats the same as saying if the Packers had a great offensive line, we would be a great team right now.

Of all the complaints I've heard from Vikings fans (I used to live there) the biggest problem was that the team had visible talent with an absent minded professor at coach.

I agree - a lot of Vikings fans dont like him. He brought that visbile talent and is winning with it so the critics have quieted a little. They are still pretty tough on him though. Players get the credit when they win, coaches get the hammer when they lose.

And winning that division isn't quite the prize you think it is when you have one of the best O lines, D lines, and running backs in the league. They should wait on giving him an extension and see what happens in the playoffs. But hey, I don't really like the Vikings. I hope you guys extend him. :wacko:

I am not sure they had the best oline and d-line when he 1st got here. The o-line on the right side was bad and the d-line had no pass rusher. I think he improved almost every position.

Edited by Outshined

Not that it's on point, but this Shanahan to Buffalo thing just seems to be a perfect fit to me. I can see that franchise coming back strong with him establishing the same kind of thing he had in Denver - can see the cold, snow, running game, rabid fans, etc. Buffalo deserves something good - and as for Childress, a radio guy said the deal was to last until 2013. That length of time doesn't seem out of the question to me. And with Wilf, I think if things got really bad - say if Favre did retire, and our teams is raided via free agency like most good teams are, I think he would eat part of the contract down the road.

And hey, if they CAN'T get there poopy together on a new stadium, it may not matter for "locals" anyway, in a couple of years.

It's official:

Childress signs extension with Vikings

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer

47 minutes ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—The Minnesota Vikings have signed coach Brad Childress to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. But ESPN.com reported Thursday the extension would keep Childress in Minnesota through the 2013 season.

Childress was hired in 2006 by owner Zygi Wilf and is in the fourth year of a five-year, $10 million deal. The Vikings have improved each year under his watch. They went 6-10 in 2006, 8-8 in 2007 and 10-6 with an NFC North title last season.

With Brett Favre(notes) at the helm, the Vikings are 8-1 and battling with the undefeated Saints for the top seed in the NFC.

Wilf says Childress has instilled a positive environment and created a strong foundation for future success.

And still would be a 3 game lead on the Packers and 2 game lead on the Bears.

The crappiness of the divisional opposition isn't relevant. Both SF and BAL should have won, which says to me that the Vikes are good....but not that good.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

It's official:

Childress signs extension with Vikings

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer

47 minutes ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—The Minnesota Vikings have signed coach Brad Childress to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. But ESPN.com reported Thursday the extension would keep Childress in Minnesota through the 2013 season.

Childress was hired in 2006 by owner Zygi Wilf and is in the fourth year of a five-year, $10 million deal. The Vikings have improved each year under his watch. They went 6-10 in 2006, 8-8 in 2007 and 10-6 with an NFC North title last season.

With Brett Favre(notes) at the helm, the Vikings are 8-1 and battling with the undefeated Saints for the top seed in the NFC.

Wilf says Childress has instilled a positive environment and created a strong foundation for future success.

Since he was signed until 2010, this is basically a 3 year extension with a pay raise.