[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Because you Vikings fans asked for it...

tosberg34

I'm all over the map when it comes to Chilly. He stood behind Tavaris forever, but yet he's part of the Triumvirate that brought a ton of top notch talent. At least we're better then our division in only 3 years.

As far as his staff goes, I guess it's a tale of two teams. On O, Darrell Bevell is too conservative in play calls but that could be also because Secret Squirrel has final say but he never seemed like a master tactician. However, then you have Eric Bienemy (RB coach) who is a perfect coach for the people he coaches. I can't think of a better person to keep AD on top of his game. The D staff to me has been outstanding every year. Tomlin the first year and now Frazier, two coaches that are amazing. Not to mention the best D line coach in the NFL, Karl Dunbar.

I guess a lot of what I didn't like about Chilly was going through growing pains. The implementation of a new staff and personnel that fits his scheme, but the final product is very nice.

Bottom line to me is these guys buy into him and he's got them playing well. He deserves to at least have a deal in place.

woot

A year ago I'd be very very annoyed with this move. Now I just think it's too early. Wait until the offseason. Oh well. I do recognize that longevity can build winners. It took Denny and his staff a while to build a very strong team and make a 15-1 NFC Championship run. I wouldn't mind letting Bevell go and bringing in someone who would open up the offense a bit more. I think it's key the team takes a QB in next year's draft to develop. I agree with the comment about Wilf eating Chilly's salary if things go south. Zygi has shown he's willing to spend what it takes to build and keep a winner.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

He stood behind Tavaris forever, but yet he's part of the Triumvirate that brought a ton of top notch talent. At least we're better then our division in only 3 years.

Everybody says that Favre saved his bacon. I highly disagree with that. His turnaround was was when he benched Tavaris last year. He only stuck with him for what a year and a half?

Everybody says that Favre saved his bacon. I highly disagree with that. His turnaround was was when he benched Tavaris last year. He only stuck with him for what a year and a half?

Who was the moran that moved up in the draft to grab Tarvaris instead of going after a free agent QB in the first place? If that moran hadn't done that, the Vikings would have had the success they're having now 3 years ago. Who has made coaching blunder after coaching blunder over the last 3 years? Terrible play calling, bad decisions, he couldn't find the challenge flag for f*cks sake. His coaching ineptitude will cost the Vikings in the playoffs, I can all but guarantee it. They're 8-1 because of the massive amount of talent they have on the football field, not because of Childress "creating a positive environment" or anything to do with his coaching abililty. Heck, he almost cost them 2 games already where they had big leagues and he changed the play calling and got conservative and let teams back into games.

OK, rant over.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Chilly's the best coach in the division right now, so I can't say that I'm "relieved" like other GB/Det/Chi fans. He definitely deserved a pay bump.

At least we know he's capable of the occasional bonehead move or bad clock management, but I'm more concerned about our coach's mistakes than the other teams'. God knows MM's had plenty of them this season.

I agree, but he also went into last year with only Frerotte and Booty to back up TJack, and to me that was a poor move. Secret Squirrel put all his eggs in the TJack basket last year and it cost us a year. TJack was working hard all off season and looked a bit better in practice but the erraticism was very evident in training camp. I'm just glad that this year after he saw the same type of QB play from Sage and TJack he took one last shot at the old man and got him. He is growing as a head coach, but it just isn't happening at the pace fans demand.

Who was the moran that moved up in the draft to grab Tarvaris instead of going after a free agent QB in the first place? If that moran hadn't done that, the Vikings would have had the success they're having now 3 years ago. Who has made coaching blunder after coaching blunder over the last 3 years? Terrible play calling, bad decisions, he couldn't find the challenge flag for f*cks sake. His coaching ineptitude will cost the Vikings in the playoffs, I can all but guarantee it. They're 8-1 because of the massive amount of talent they have on the football field, not because of Childress "creating a positive environment" or anything to do with his coaching abililty. Heck, he almost cost them 2 games already where they had big leagues and he changed the play calling and got conservative and let teams back into games.

OK, rant over.

Fran Foley - how do you know it was him? One thing I like about Childress, he has never once discussed or placed blame on players publicly.

The rest of your rant is not even worth talking about because we all know how much you hate him. I know he has made mistakes, but it could be worse.

The crappiness of the divisional opposition isn't relevant. Both SF and BAL should have won, which says to me that the Vikes are good....but not that good.

good teams find a way to win those games. Part of being good... is being lucky. :D Heck for that matter....IMO the packers are better than both SF & BAL. :wacko: As for Childress, as a life long Viking fan I think he deserves the extension if nothing else for the team that he has built, and I'm not even talk'in about Favre here. Hutch, Allen, AP, Harvin, Rice... not to mention retaining the players that were already on board. All that was done before Favre was even around.

This might be something I don't know about the Vikings, but does Childress hold the GM position? I mean does he have overall control, partial control, or no control? I know they have input with putting the draft board together but people seem to love him for putting together AP, Hutch, etc. and then give him a pass for people like Tjax. Which is it?

I'll give Childress this, he has a good agent. This is the perfect time to sign an extension.

:wacko: I have a feeling this thread will come up if/when the Vikes choke in the playoffs.

This might be something I don't know about the Vikings, but does Childress hold the GM position? I mean does he have overall control, partial control, or no control? I know they have input with putting the draft board together but people seem to love him for putting together AP, Hutch, etc. and then give him a pass for people like Tjax. Which is it?

I'll give Childress this, he has a good agent. This is the perfect time to sign an extension.

:wacko: I have a feeling this thread will come up if/when the Vikes choke in the playoffs.

There is no GM. There is a Triangle of Authority .

Coach Childress

Rick Spielman VP of Football Operations (or some such title)

Rob Brzezinski Contract Guru (the guy who brought you the creative Hutchinson signing, etc)

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe