[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Pro Bowl is now the Loser Bowl

MikesVikes

Well, it appears I may be in the minority here, but I've thought they should have done this for years now. If you've got a week off before the Superbowl, why NOT have it on that off weekend?

Makes total sense in my book. Adds to the hype leading up to the big game. The Pro Bowl to date has always been so anti-climatic being after the Super Bowl. This gives it a much needed shot in the arm and allows the Super Bowl to be the last game of the year, which it should be IMO. I'm sure the guys playing in the Super Bowl that also made the Pro Bowl are ok with the game they ended up in instead.

Well, it appears I may be in the minority here, but I've thought they should have done this for years now. If you've got a week off before the Superbowl, why NOT have it on that off weekend?

Makes total sense in my book. Adds to the hype leading up to the big game. The Pro Bowl to date has always been so anti-climatic being after the Super Bowl. This gives it a much needed shot in the arm and allows the Super Bowl to be the last game of the year, which it should be IMO. I'm sure the guys playing in the Super Bowl that also made the Pro Bowl are ok with the game they ended up in instead.

Dude, it is the last game of the year to most of us.

FWIW, while I can't say for certain that I'd watch anyway, but the chances are a million times higher that I'd watch a skills competition with these guys over the Pro Bowl.

Dude, it is the last game of the year to most of us.

FWIW, while I can't say for certain that I'd watch anyway, but the chances are a million times higher that I'd watch a skills competition with these guys over the Pro Bowl.

I hear you. I may have watched bits and pieces of the Pro Bowl maybe twice in the last 10 years or so. I'm just saying that moving it to the bye week preceding the Super Bowl is a good call if they want to increase viewership. And I agree on the skills competition - maybe a dash, a jugs machine, some sort of obstacle course involving many of the skills they test in the combine, accuracy, etc...

I hear you. I may have watched bits and pieces of the Pro Bowl maybe twice in the last 10 years or so. I'm just saying that moving it to the bye week preceding the Super Bowl is a good call if they want to increase viewership. And I agree on the skills competition - maybe a dash, a jugs machine, some sort of obstacle course involving many of the skills they test in the combine, accuracy, etc...

BTW, I do agree that moving it to that week would likely boost viewership. On one hand, you've diminished the game because nobody in the SB and likely few who competed in the Championship games will play. On the other hand, it's a stupid effing game to begin with so I'm pretty sure those who watch it are simply doing so because they're jonesing for some ball anyway and there are likely more people jonesing to watch some ball the week before the SB than the week after.

However, I can assure you that any increase in viewership will not be because of me.

Edited by detlef

Ray Lewis is such a cash chucker.

When I first glanced at this post, I thought you said that "Ray Lewis had something to do with Cash for Clunkers." Talk about doing a double-take. :wacko:

-The Pro Bowl is never the 'BEST of the BEST'. Players opt out all the time, because nobody cares about the game. Anyone 'banged up' four weeks after the regular season is going to be 'banged up' six weeks after the regular season anyway. The fact is, there will still be talented players on the field running around in a meaningless game. They frankly have nothing to lose by moving it.

-Ratings WILL increase this year for the Pro Bowl. The telecast will also almost definitely act as a 3-hour Super Bowl pre-game show as well. I crave football night and day until the Monday after SB-Sunday. I haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years but I'm still in 'football mode' the week before the SB and I will probably watch it this year. Ratings will increase, I gaurentee it.

-This makes a lot of sense for the NFL from a hospitality/sponsorship fulfillment standpoint. It's all about the revenues, and they know who pays their checks.

-Players coming out for intros; aren't they in Miami anyway for the Super Bowl?

Here's what they need to do with the Pro Bowl... switch it back to after the Superbowl, and then instead of playing a football game, turn it into some kind of hybrid American Gladiators/Battle of the Network Stars/Running Man survival game.

I like the idea...the only drawback is that they compete in sand where knee injuries get the big guys. i would love to see the tug of war...