[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok Cowboys Homers

Cowboyz1

Well here we go. We made it thought the short week and I must say I am quite proud of the way these boys handled the Raiders and I am quite pleased at the way they corralled the Skins this past Sunday. However, enough with the tune ups, play time is over, these next five games are were the rubber meets the road. This isn't for the casual fan or Cowboy haters. It's for those who bleed stars and dream of the days that made America's team, America's team. It's for those with hearts scared from bitter defeat yet calloused over ready for another run. It's for us Homers that want to know, could this be the year?

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of this 8-3 record. Now I can throw out a bunch of stats showing how well Romo is doing this year compared to the rest of the league, with 300 games numbers, wins and losses as a starter and Austin's this and Witten's that. I can also throw out how the Defense is stingy, with points allowed, pressures and what not. I can even point to Wade's 30-13 record with the Cowboys..blah blah blah. It all sounds promising.

What I want to know is this. Can they do it when it has to be done? Is there magic in the air? Has Romo matured enough to take the next step? For that matter has the team matured enough?

Evidence, I want evidence. I want to feel like they're ready. So I look at the key components to winning big.

1. QB, do we have a clutch QB that when he has to make a play he does? Does he have that "we are not going to lose this game fellas" fire in his eye's when he looks at the guys in the huddle? Well, I have seen him throw 5 picks in a game and find a way to win, that was huge, cause mentally, I can't say I have seen that in a QB since, well, Farve. I have seen him play hurt and still find a way. I have seen his spirit crushed, ego dismantled and pride decimated, yet he still fights on and says I will get better. And he did. He is elusive enough to make a guy miss yet poised enough to find the open receiver just after a guy tried to pluck his head off. In his third year now I have watched him learn that he doesn't have to do it all himself, protect the football while running and take the sack when nothings there and trust his defense to get him the ball back. I count one bonehand :D throw this year and not one careless fumble. In the past I would curse him saying "tuck the bankety blank ball when you scramble" geezz and that was when he didn't fumble and actually got the first down. Now I don't see him run without the ball tucked firmly in his ribs. I see growth and accuracy. I see grit and I see wisdom in this kid. So Check, I want to believe he is ready to take the next step. He has already broken more records for a Cowboys QB then I can rattle off here so it's believable that he has what it takes.

2. RB do we have the running game to get the tough yards when they have to be gotten? Well there is no question in my mind the three backs we have can get the job done. No question. Barber, Felix and Choice could quite possibly be the best running back trio in the league. Tash, Smash and Dash have all the skills combined to be Emmitt incarnate. So Check

3. Defense, do we have the men to put the D in defense? I suppose I should break this down a bit. Dline, can they stop the run? I should say so. Between Olshansky, Spears, Bowen, and Ratliff they have the horses to tangle with any O line. Ratliff is having as great a season as any 3-4 nose in the business. Backers, James and Brooking are all over the field and play with fire. Ware and Spenc can bring it off the edges. No question we can bring pressure. Secondary, Jenkins is a baller, Newman is Newman and Scandrick is scrapy. Safety play has been very solid as I don't remember the last time they were beaten deep. But there is a question mark here. Can these youngsters step up their level of play with it all on the line? I just can't put a check mark here because I haven't seen them do it yet. I know the pressure helps but not enough picks to tell me they know exactly what they're doing out there all the time. Yeah their braking up the balls but with the kinds of pressure we're bringing there should be more INTs Right?

4. Coaching, no matter what people say about big games lost under Wade and such, there is no question that Wade knows what he is doing. The team loves him and plays hard for him. No he is not JJ or Parcells but he knows how to coach football and what tells me that is how the team adjusts during games, especially on defense. He dials up the right changes on D when teams get something going then all of a sudden it stops. That's good coaching. He is more in the style of Dungy, who lets his players play but prepares them well. His coaching style needs leaders on the field though, like Dungy had in Manning and B. Sanders. Am I saying Romo is Manning, NO but can he play to a Manning level at some point, I believe he can.

5. Special teams- Joe D has the special teams playing lights out. This is one of the best special teams unit in the biz. This unit is playing better than I have seen in years for the Cowboys. When Crayton is running punts back for touchdowns, the defenders must be either on the ground or blocked up period, check that, on the ground. I am a little concerned about Folk but he has been money in a pitch. So special teams Check!

6. O line can these five horsemen protect Romo and own the line of scrimmage. From what I have seen, they have been pretty solid. It also helps that Bennett and Witten are such good blockers. O line is solid. Check

7. WR's do we have enough playmakers at wide out that can make the impossible play. Well here again, I just don't quite know what to think here. I mean Austin has been out of his mind, then Sam Hurdish, then out of his mind. Roy is a good WR but just hasn't clicked yet. Witten is Witten. I have seen teams do it with less so I have to say they have to be good enough. So Check.

Lastly, the intangibles, killer instinct, game management smarts, like getting a free 5 yards while a slow a$$ defender is running off the field or jumping back into a defender to draw the PI. I saw Romo miss an opportunity for getting 5 twice so far, now maybe it just wasn't possible at the time. I also saw Austin with a chance to get a sure PI call but didn't. I'm just saying these are the things that Championship ball clubs know how to do.

So what say you Cowboy Homers, are you on the fence, don't think they have what it takes, or are you all in, like me, ready to get your heart broke one more time for a chance to shout at the top of your lungs, the Cowboys are, dare I say "Champions"..........Again.

We're about to see some serious football. Just look at this schedule. It's a widow maker. It will surely either make a champion or break one.

Sun, Dec 6 @ New York Giants (must win, got to break their backs and a win here would do it)

Sun, Dec 13 SAN DIEGO (at least it's at home)

Sat, Dec 19 @ New Orleans(super soft schedule, not sure who they are yet)

Sun, Dec 27 @ Washington (W can't lose this one unless we have won the previous three)

Sun, Jan 3 PHILADELPHIA (may mean everything, may mean nothing)

See ya in Decemba :wacko:

If your not a die hard Boys fan, that was 3 minutes your never going to get back!

Edited by Cowboyz1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you mentioned, that stretch run of games is not for the meek... but it's far from impossible. Loaded with talent and playmakers but we've heard this song and seen this dance before. The Boys go 3-2 over the last five and I'll feel real good going into the post-season. 4-1 or 5-0? Now we're talking potential favorites to be Super Bowl champs. That's the thing for me though. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, three times, four times...

No one that knows me will ever question my fandom but I've arrived at that point where I have to say I love you but you gotta show me something more.

One word - DECEMBER!

:wacko: GO COWBOYS!

So you think a 12-4 or 13-3 Cowboys team that beat the Chargers, Saints and/or Eagles in the last 4 weeks of the season wouldn't be a one of the Super Bowl favorites going into the playoffs?

Versus the Saints or Vikings in the NFC? :wacko:

You are much more optimistic than I am.

1) I am not convinced that Romo is a 'clutch guy' yet. I've seen way too many turnovers in critical spots by Romo. It seems as if he has gotten this under control ... but until I see him come up big in a tough game against a quality opponent when everything is all on the line ... I'm just not convinced.

2) We do have a great stable of running backs ... but I have often seen Garrett go away from the running game when it has been working. So even if we have the best running game in the league it doesn't matter if they are blocking and not running.

3) The defense has been performing well against sub-par teams. I remember when they couldn't play a full four quarters in several games this year. I'm in wait and see mode ... wait to see how they do against a team with a real offense. Holding Washington to 6 points isn't saying much.

4) This is where I disagree with you the most. You say Wade knows what he is doing and I say he is adequate AT BEST. This team lacks discipline evidenced by all the stupid penalties - that comes back to poor coaching. How many games this year have we lost because the team didn't play 4 full quarters - this speaks to a lack of discipline and a failure to prepare the team. Have they played well since the off week ... sure ... but against sub-par teams (even Atlanta seems to be falling off).

5) Special teams is playing well ... with an occasional break down in kick off coverage, although Folk has missed some field goals.

6) Offense line is solid although sometimes they break down in pass blocking and Flozell is good for two or more false starts per game (more evidence of bad coaching).

7) Miles seems to be the real deal. Roy Williams is not. The last couple of games the opposing defenses have quieted Miles down a bit. Roy drops too many balls in critical spots. Hurd and Crayton seem to have their moments but are inconsistent.

This team comes up short on intangibles as well ... they lack killer instinct and the ability to put teams away. They had Denver and New York defeated but couldn't finish. They should have destroyed Kansas City but barely won in over time.

So looking at their schedule ... they should beat the Giants, will likely lose back-to-back games against San Diego and New Orleans, could slip up against Washington even though they should win (they should have destroyed them last week) and will likely lose to Philadelphia.

So I'm looking at 10-6 or 11-5. They will likely get them into the playoffs. However, I don't believe this team can go on the road and defeat another playoff team.

I am quite pleased at the way they corralled the Skins this past Sunday.

:wacko: You're kidding me, right? You and I could 'corral' the skins if we tied both of our legs together and blind folded each other (of course that sounds like something in Zeds back room but still). If anything you should say, "I am quite concerned at the way the Skins corralled the cowboys until the final minutes this past Sunday"

:wacko: You're kidding me, right? You and I could 'corral' the skins if we tied both of our legs together and blind folded each other (of course that sounds like something in Zeds back room but still). If anything you should say, "I am quite concerned at the way the Skins corralled the cowboys until the final minutes this past Sunday"

Only fans of teams that are within shouting distance of a winning record are allowed to post in this thread. Shoo...

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Sun, Dec 6 @ New York Giants (must win, got to break their backs and a win here would do it)

Sun, Dec 13 SAN DIEGO (at least it's at home)

Sat, Dec 19 @ New Orleans(super soft schedule, not sure who they are yet)

Sun, Dec 27 @ Washington (W can't lose this one unless we have won the previous three)

Sun, Jan 3 PHILADELPHIA (may mean everything, may mean nothing)

That is a tough stretch. Giants at home will be a bitch no matter how poorly they are playing lately. S.D has that late season surge they always get going right now. Saints O is ridiculous. Wash at home is never easy but certainly winnable. Philly at home I think Dallas will handle . I honestly dont fear the Philly D as much without Coach Johnson.

I think we go 3-2 in this stretch . At best 4-1. 2 of the losses , if they happen , Come in the Giants, SD, N.O stretch) I think Dallas is better than I thought they were earlier this year but they absolutely must stop those drive killing mistakes or the good teams in this stretch run will chew them up.

Cliaz will be on your case for copyright.....but since you're closer to a winning record than he is, I get it.

The "corral the Skins" line jarred with me too. Dallas were simply dreadful offensively against the Skins, there's no getting around it. If the Skins had any offense at all, that game would have shown up in the Dallas L column.

Other than Austin and breaking a couple big runs and regardless of the yards they piled up, they weren't that much to shout about yesterday either.

Cliaz will be on your case for copyright.....but since you're closer to a winning record than he is, I get it.

The "corral the Skins" line jarred with me too. Dallas were simply dreadful offensively against the Skins, there's no getting around it. If the Skins had any offense at all, that game would have shown up in the Dallas L column.

Other than Austin and breaking a couple big runs and regardless of the yards they piled up, they weren't that much to shout about yesterday either.

The one time when Skins and Eagles fans can come together is when they are giving cowboy fans a hard time...i have a feeling he wont have an issue with my cut and irish

edit and by closer you do realize we are at 6-4 and with a win are just 1 back of the girls, dont ya?

Edited by keggerz

The Cowboys can win-out and will be no better than the third team in the NFC heading to the playoffs. I guess it depends on what you consider a "favorite".

Threads like these are my dirty little fetish. It makes it so pleasing when arrogance meets reality in the form of a Tony Romo turnover. The best part is that he keeps finding new and exciting ways to turn the ball over and lose important football games. The guy is just so unpredictably perfect! Set your alarm clock and get your popcorn ready for the inevitable implosion of America's Team.

Edited by Seahawks21