[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben

hooknladder

Glazer: Roethlisberger out with concussion

Posted by Mike Florio on November 28, 2009 10:49 AM ET

Despite several days of optimism regarding the availability of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Sunday night's game against the Ravens, Roethlisberger will not play, according to Jay Glazer of FOX, via Twitter.

Glazer reports that Roethlisberger has been suffering from exercise-induced headaches. Thus, the team has decided to shut him down.

Starting for the Steelers will be Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick in 2008 who slid down the draft board after suffering a torn ACL during the 2007 college football season. (He actually played with the injury for one game before getting surgery to repair it.)

Dixon steps in because veteran Charlie Batch suffered a wrist injury during the handful of snaps he took in overtime on Sunday against the Chiefs, after Roethlisberger took a knee to the head.

Doubts regarding Roethlisberger's availability for Sunday first emerged on Friday, when Jason La Canfora of NFLN reported that Roethlisberger might miss the game

Unhappy news for Hines Ward owners as well as Ben owners I guess ... I had seen the update below (the "La Canfora report" mentioned in the Glazer article) on KFFL earlier today, but this Glazer report seems much more certain that Ben will miss the game.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:52:32 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of NFL.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (concussion) may choose to sit out the team's Week 12 game, according to a league source. Roethlisberger told head coach Mike Tomlin that he might sit out the game as a precaution, according to the source. Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game. He will make a final decision on his playing status Saturday, Nov. 28, before team meetings.

Edited by ts

Roethlisberger

Fox's Jay Glazer reports via his Twitter account that Ben Roethlisberger (concussion) is out for Sunday night's game against the Ravens.

Glazer reports that Big Ben was suffering from exercise-induced headaches and the team has decided to hold him out. Dennis Dixon, a 2008 fifth-round pick out of Oregon, will get the start because normal No. 2 QB Charlie Batch (wrist) is also out. Rashard Mendenhall will try to carry the Pittsburgh offense on his shoulders. Nov. 28 - 11:06 am et

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Hope everything is okay with Ben moving forward but this news really helped me out this week as I'm playing against Hines Ward in one league and another guy has Big Ben in his lineup with no other QB option and add/drops are done for the week.

The Steelers and Ben definitely need to play this safe, so, if there is any risk, Ben needs to stay on the sidelines.

On the negative side of things, this is an extremely big game for the Steelers, as they now need to push towards just making the playoffs. I liked what I saw from Dixon in the pre-season, but, a Sunday night game against a heated rival will definitely be quite a test for the kid. I'm going to keep Hines Ward in my fantasy lineup, as Dixon may look to his most reliable targets, Miller and Ward. It will be interesting to watch this all play out.

I would have to think that this has a trickle down effect and I'm downgrading the entire Steeler offense. To the point of benching Mendenhall for Maroney

Edited by loaf

Hope everything is okay with Ben moving forward but this news really helped me out this week as I'm playing against Hines Ward in one league and another guy has Big Ben in his lineup with no other QB option and add/drops are done for the week.

wow that blows for him but nobody to blame but himself

Looking forward to see Dixon play. Loved the kid at Oregon and happy he is getting a chance to show his stuff after getting injured his last year in college.

+1

I believe that was the year we played Texas in the Fiesta Bowl? That last game had BCS implications somehow..i can't remember but his injury pretty much destroyed the Ducks Bowl aspirations.

+1

I believe that was the year we played Texas in the Fiesta Bowl? That last game had BCS implications somehow..i can't remember but his injury pretty much destroyed the Ducks Bowl aspirations.

Oregon played in the Sun Bowl that year against South Florida. Think you're thinking of when Oregon played Colorado several years before.

Dixon was a Heisman candidate and then they just sucked after he got injured. They reached a number two ranking and then just fell off the face of the planet.

wow that blows for him but nobody to blame but himself

Exactly! He knew the rules and he has Bobby Wade on the bench who he could've dropped for a backup QB, which there are plenty of. Once he heard the news of Big Ben suffering a concussion last week, he should've been to the WW asap!

Exactly! He knew the rules and he has Bobby Wade on the bench who he could've dropped for a backup QB, which there are plenty of. Once he heard the news of Big Ben suffering a concussion last week, he should've been to the WW asap!

If your talking about a WCFF league then he could NOT have picked up a waiver QB because their rules shut down waivers after week 11 starts.

If your talking about a WCFF league then he could NOT have picked up a waiver QB because their rules shut down waivers after week 11 starts.

No it's a work league through Yahoo. What surprises me is that the owner is pretty solid and we are currently tied and fighting for playoff positioning. He, like most, must've thought Big Ben was a shoe-in to play but he learned a valuable lesson that you always have to be prepared for all scenerios to play out.

Why don't you kick him while he's down?

He'll be doing enough of that to himself all day tomorrow, Monday and into Tuesday.

Anyhow, I do find it intriquing to see how Dixon handles the pressure of playing in a primetime spot against a defense who will be blasting out of the gates to eat him up, while his team needs a big win to stay in the playoff hunt. Should be fun!