[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you guys determine tie breakers in your league?

euphy

We have 3 divisions

We were doing it if there is a tie...

1. Head to head

2. Division

3. Points

He has 3 divisions

But my buddy's league does...

1. Head to head

2. Whoever has the most points

I asked him, why even have divisions if you use that format? He says, "I don't know, we've always done it that way."

Our tiebreakers (1 division of 12)

1. First to Worst, Win % (Season)

2. First to Worst, Points Scored (Season)

3. First to Worst, Win % (Last Week)

4. Virtual Coin Toss

We used to do H2H as first tiebreaker but changed it a few years back since some teams play each other more than other teams.

Edited by myhousekey

2 Divisions of 5 with the top team in each division getting a bye and the next 4 best teams seeded accordingly (regardless of division).

1. H2H (2 Teams Only - more than 2 teams tied skips to #2)

2. Win %

3. Most Pts Scored (Season)

4. Most Pts Against (Season)

5. Virtual Coin Toss

I tried to convince my league to eliminate the H2H due to the lack of Divisonal balance for the playoffs as well as an unbalanced schedule, but was shot down.

H2H is the WORST way to do a tie-break,even if it's tie-break #5. Again, in fantasy football you don't control what the other team scores, so there really isn't a H2H element involved. You shouldn't lose a tie-break because your opponent started a guy who had 5 TD's all year, but had four of them the week you played him, that's ludicrous.

Ours are:

Highest total points FOR - Strength of team

Highest total points AGAINST - Strength of schedule

# of weeks with high score

Coin toss

We do this:

1) H2H record

2) Div record

3) Points Scored overall

4) Points Scored in H2H games

5) Coin toss

Clearly you need a balanced schedule to use above-and as much as points scored is an indicator of team strength, you still have to win the games otherwise why play head to head?

I am in the H2H should be as low as possible in tiebreak, if even a consideration at all. STL Fan covered the primary reasons.

Me personally, it kind of depends on how the league and it;s playoffs are set up.

For example, if there are no divisions, then I think total points should be the top tiebreak, then points against and then h2h (not too many other factors in a non-division league, and usually total points will handle it.)

If there are divisions, and playoffs are where the top team in each division gets in, then I prefer division record (gives some extra weight to those division games), then total points, then points against then h2h. But, for any wildcard spots that are determined by best team regardless of division, I revert to my preferred method with no divisions for the wildcard spots. Division record should not count in wild card decisions IMO as it is not looking at games against common opponents.

If there are conferences where the teams are exclusively taken from that group (ie, wildcards are from within the conference only), then I stick with then division type tiebreaks, looking at conference record as the primary tiebreak for playoff spots.

We try and mimic the NFL as well.

3 divisions of 4 teams, to determine the division winner:

Overall record (make you play all year, not just for 6 divisional games)

H2H ( two games, if you sweep = you are better, period, if you make bad starts you lose)

Divisional record (common games)

Total points

Coin toss (never had to get here)

Making games that are H2H irrelevant makes no sense to me at all.

We try and mimic the NFL as well.

3 divisions of 4 teams, to determine the division winner:

Overall record (make you play all year, not just for 6 divisional games)

H2H ( two games, if you sweep = you are better, period, if you make bad starts you lose)

Divisional record (common games)

Total points

Coin toss (never had to get here)

Making games that are H2H irrelevant makes no sense to me at all.

Sorry, this is not true.

Edited by STL Fan

Sorry, this is not true.

if you are going to do division, you have to have H2H, otherwise why do divisions just take the top 6 teams with highest points and let them make it to the playoffs.

I get that it does not mean that you are better, but it makes the games against each other worth more.

St. L made a great point about H2H in "fantasy". Our leagues also mimic NFL tie-breaker rules. Last year we had one division with 4 guys finish 7-6. 3 made it to the playoffs, one got eliminated. Here is the NFL format:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss

Frankly I am going to make a case against H2H tie-breaking for 2010. I do enjoy the trash-talking H2H provides in season but it really is a crap-shoot as to who wins and why. But if you do like copying the NFL, enjoy this wonderful 12 step format :wacko:

St. L made a great point about H2H in "fantasy". Our leagues also mimic NFL tie-breaker rules. Last year we had one division with 4 guys finish 7-6. 3 made it to the playoffs, one got eliminated. Here is the NFL format:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss

Frankly I am going to make a case against H2H tie-breaking for 2010. I do enjoy the trash-talking H2H provides in season but it really is a crap-shoot as to who wins and why. But if you do like copying the NFL, enjoy this wonderful 12 step format :wacko:

Yeah, that's kinda my point. I can put up with the inconsistency and luck of H2H for the regular season if it means I get to talk smack, but when it comes to breaking a tie for a playoff spot, I think H2H is lame. At that point it's about the dolla bills yo. <--- yeah, that was lame, sorry.

I run it like this for my local..

1. The two division winners get the 1st 2 seeds and are separated by H2H.

2. The rest of the teams are settled by H2H and we have total points set up for the tie-breaker.

3. if there is more than a 3-way tie, then I take the team that was the best record amongst the group and place them in the top spot in the group - and then H2H followed by total points if the teams have a tied H2H record..

2 weeks ago, we had a 5-way tie for 4th place...the final playoff spot...I hope it doesn't come down to that after week 14...

we have 3 divisions of 4 teams each.

every team plays the other three teams in his division twice and every other team in the league (except one) one.

top three division leaders go to playoffs. these are the top three seeds. the next three best teams are the wildcards

tiebreaker = head to head and then overall points. if 3 or more teams are tied it goes to overall points.

H2H isn't a very good tie breaker, imo. It may work for the NFL but fantasy games are impacted with bye weeks. NFL teams don't get a goose egg when they have a week off.

With H2H, you are placing too much emphasis on one single week of the year and not the total body of work. So you played team X when you were sitting Adrian or MJD for the week. Does that make you an inferior team when you end the season tied with team X? What if you scored 100 more points during the season than team X? You had the better season.

You can't control wins/losses during the year. Maybe you played against a player that had his one big game of the season. You have more control over scoring more points during the season. That goes to starting the correct players each week.

H2H isn't a very good tie breaker, imo. It may work for the NFL but fantasy games are impacted with bye weeks. NFL teams don't get a goose egg when they have a week off.

With H2H, you are placing too much emphasis on one single week of the year and not the total body of work. So you played team X when you were sitting Adrian or MJD for the week. Does that make you an inferior team when you end the season tied with team X? What if you scored 100 more points during the season than team X? You had the better season.

You can't control wins/losses during the year. Maybe you played against a player that had his one big game of the season. You have more control over scoring more points during the season. That goes to starting the correct players each week.

Well stated, sir. :wacko: