[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meachum TD

Menudo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. May not make sense, but that's the way the NFL looks at it, which is why I set up my leagues the same way.

then the Meachum forced fumble was for the D and the TD was for the O :wacko:

edit: just another reason why IDP leagues rock...also all players should always get credit for their TDs no matter what(even if you don't award return points)

Edited by keggerz

Well, the only Yascrew league I'm in gave no points at all. I guess it was a ghost TD that never happened. :D

I am assuming that Yahoo has decided to score it an Offensive Fumble Recovery for TD and your league does not award points to offensive players for OFR :wacko:

My personal thought is that it should be score as an OFR for TD but one of the leagues I am commish of is on CBS and they are currently counting it as a DFR and DST TD. My Meachem owner is emailing me looking for the points and I am afraid someone is going to be pissed by the outcome :D

I am assuming that Yahoo has decided to score it an Offensive Fumble Recovery for TD and your league does not award points to offensive players for OFR :wacko:

My personal thought is that it should be score as an OFR for TD but one of the leagues I am commish of is on CBS and they are currently counting it as a DFR and DST TD. My Meachem owner is emailing me looking for the points and I am afraid someone is going to be pissed by the outcome :D

I have the D in the Yahoo league. The stat line says that the Saints D had one INT and 3 FR. I don't know if that was considered one of the FRs as I don't know how many fumbles the Redskins had. I have to look that up. But the Meachum owner got nothing.

I seen in 1 CBS league they awarded the TD to Will Smith.

we have a rule in our league specifically addressing this (which i believe we copied from another league i'm in):

"The formation of each NFL team on each side of the ball at the beginning of the play (snap of the ball) is the same throughout the duration of the play, regardless of any number of change(s) of possession."

Known at the 'McCardell Rule'...and scored as an Offensive Fumble Recovery TD.

MFL has it in there scoring...I highly recommend it :wacko:

Yep - been there for a number of years now and has actually been used a few times. This may seem complex but it is what it is and it is an offensive fumble recovery TD. The only place that we, my leagues, get screwed on this one is the yardage as I don't have that defined.

we have a rule in our league specifically addressing this (which i believe we copied from another league i'm in):

"The formation of each NFL team on each side of the ball at the beginning of the play (snap of the ball) is the same throughout the duration of the play, regardless of any number of change(s) of possession."

Love this rule! Added it into my league too :wacko:

I mean it would have been d-fens TD for Moore who int'd. Meach stripped it and offense has the ball back.

Should Saints D even get credit for Fum rec if the TD doesn;t count toward DEF as well?

I say no...its a FUM Rec by Meachum and offensive TD

Thoughts please? It is the difference between two teams making the playoffs in my league and Im commish

I am in the same boat, I do not know which way to rule this.

I would score it this way (No IDP invloved):

-2pts for the INT charged against Brees

+2pts for the INT credited to Washington D

6pts for Meachem for the TD

.1pt for every yard he ran after recovering the fumble.

Nothing for Saints D at all. Our rules are that Team D points can only be scored when the Team D in question is actually on the field.

Explanation of play from MFL

http://www.myfantasyleague.com/blog/

The Saints Fumble Recovery TD

December 6th, 2009

There was an unusual touchdown scored in the Saints/Redskins game today just before halftime. Drew Brees attempted a pass to Jeremy Shockey, but it was intercepted by Kareem Moore of the Redskins. Moore proceeded to run the ball back, and while he was returning the interception, he was stripped of the ball by Robert Meachem of the Saints. In other words, Moore intercepted the ball, and then fumbled it. Then Meachem returned it all the way for a fumble recovery touchdown. Here is the listing from the play-by-play on nfl.com:

3-26-WAS 44 (:39) (Shotgun) 9-D.Brees pass short middle intended for 88-J.Shockey INTERCEPTED by 41-K.Moore at WAS 30. 41-K.Moore to WAS 44 for 14 yards (17-R.Meachem). FUMBLES (17-R.Meachem), RECOVERED by NO-17-R.Meachem at WAS 44. 17-R.Meachem for 44 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by Replay Assistant and Upheld.

You can also watch the video highlight reel of that play as well in case it helps! In any case, many leagues are wondering how that play is scored from a fantasy perspective, and why, so this post will hopefully help explain things as they are scored in your fantasy football league on MyFantasyLeague.com. For what it’s worth, this same type of TD last happened 6 years ago by Keenan McCardell of the Buccaneers, in the Week #5 Monday night game against the Colts. The explanation and scoring for that TD is the same as the scoring for the TD this time around. Ironically, prior to 2003, the last time this type of TD after a double turn-over play happened was in 1997, so it seems to be an event that happens once very 6 years, so it is indeed rather rare.

In any case, it is scored as a 44 yard “Offensive Fumble Recovery TD” for Robert Meachem, and it is NOT scored as a Defensive Fumble Recovery TD for the Saints Team Defense position, since the Saints defensive unit was not on the field for that play. If your league doesn’t currently have the “Offensive Fumble Recovery TD” or the “Length of Offensive Fumble Recovery TD” rule set up for the Wide Receiver position, then you’ll need to add that rule to your league if you want this TD to be credited for Meachem. Note that if you change your scoring rules now, you’ll be given the option of whether to apply the new rules to all past weeks, or just to the current week and future weeks. If it helps, you can review all of the other “Strange Plays” on a weekly basis from the “Help > Strange Plays” pull down menu in your league.

So why is it scored this way? You can definitely find all sorts of debate about this touchdown in the fantasy football world, just as it was hotly debated for days back in 2003 when it happened. There is an animated discussion about this particular TD on various fantasy football sites such as FantasySharks.com, thehuddle.com, FootballGuys.com, FFToday.com, and many others, as well as our own MyFantasyLeague.com community message board. You’ll find a wide range of opinions on how this play should be counted in fantasy leagues. The reason it isn’t necessarily cut and dried is because the NFL doesn’t clearly define touchdowns in fantasy football terms. The NFL just considers this to be a “fumble recovery TD” as it is listed in the box score. The NFL doesn’t care how the play happened, or what events led up to the TD, or how many turnovers happened during the play, or how it impacts your fantasy league. The NFL only cares that it was ultimately a TD that happened as a result of a fumble recovery.

To that end, it is basically up to your league to decide if and how this TD should be scored, since the NFL doesn’t provide any guidance on whether this is considered a defensive TD from a fantasy perspective. In fact, the NFL actually lists this as a “Miscellaneous” type of play in their “Gamebook“, which is generally the most detailed account of the stats in a game. The rule in MyFantasyLeague.com that this TD is applied to is the “Offensive Fumble Recovery TD” rule. If your league wants this TD to count as a “Defensive Fumble Recovery TD”, even though the Saints Team Defense was not on the field at the time, then your commissioner will have to use the “For Commissioners > Setup > Adjust Scores and Standings > Player Score Adjuster” screen to manually enter the points for the Saints Team Defense position if desired. This play is also included in the “Fumble Recovery (from Opponent)” rule in MyFantasyLeague.com. So if you have that rule defined for your Team Defense position, then the Saints will receive credit for that fumble recovery. Again, if you want to score this differently for your league, then your commissioner would use the Score Adjuster to add or remove points as needed.

Hopefully that helps explain this unusual and rare touchdown.

Edited by myhousekey

Always believed in 6 pts for all TDs to that individual player, regardless. In my main league, co-commish and I texted each other when it happened and agreed that by NFL rule, that's a defensive TD. If MFL continues to not award Saints D/ST that TD, we'll fix it manually.

Peace

policyt

From FBG's

TRANSCRIPT FROM TODAY’S EMERGENCY HEARING ON THE

ROBERT MEACHEM FUMBLE RECOVERY TD

December 7, 2009

BAILIFF

“All rise. Court is in session. The Dishonorable Chief Injustice Bill Davies presiding.”

CHIEF INJUSTICE BILL DAVIES

Please be seated.

December 7th is a day that will go down in infamy.

(What’s that? Already taken? Dang it! OK, I’ll play it straight then.)

For those of you who don’t know me, I am FootballGuy’s answer to my real life neighbor, Honorable David S. Doty. Judge Doty, you may know, is the presiding U.S. District Court Judge on matters regarding the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. While that may impress you, he walks in my shadow on all things fantasy football.

As a sitting Injustice for over a decade, I have seen a lot of things in my day. Every once in a while, you meet someone in court who is a product of the system. When they leave the courtroom after you have delivered their sentence, you think to yourself, “I’ll know I’ll see you again.” That happened yesterday in the Saints – Redskins game.

In this case, our subject is ROBERT MEACHEM’S FUMBLE RECOVERY FOR A TD. For those of you new to town, you might think this is a pretty special and unique situation. However, this situation has walked through this courtroom before – in 2003, when I was a Junior Judge. It was disguised then as the “KEENAN McCARDELL TD”. On that day, I thought we were facing an unprecedented matter, but found out later that this situation was in a prior Court as a result of a 1997 Week 11 TD by Kansas City Chief WR Danan Hughes. It likely occurred before then, too, but records are not readily available prior to 1997.

In the 2003 matter of the KEENAN McCARDELL, this Court issued a rather lengthy and complete decision:

http://apps.footballguys.com/04davies_mccardelltd.cfm

. It resulted in much discussion on message boards, in bar rooms and amongst friends. It was supported and ridiculed. But at the end of the day, it was ground in logic and withstood the test of time. A synopsis of the final decision can be found here:

http://apps.footballguys.com/04davies_faq.cfm

This Court, like most others, recognizes precedent. It looks at the conclusion previously reached and considers that decision in light of the current facts. The Court then determines if the previous conclusion can still be supported by the facts and logic and if that conclusion can also be applied to the current circumstances. (NOTE: Sometimes, over the course of 6 years, something new comes up that was unknown at the time of the original ruling.)

In this instance, the circumstances are identical to the KEENAN McCARDELL incident. Nothing new has come up and many other governing bodies have adopted this Court’s interpretation. As a result, the previous ruling stands.

THE DECISION

The Robert Meachem fumble recovery TD was an OFFENSIVE fumble recovery for a touchdown. It should not be treated as a defensive touchdown for purposes of team defense.

ADDENDUM

We need to recognize that this situation is rare – it happens about once every 6 years. It is not unheard of but it is uncommon. League management systems (like CBSSportsline.com, MyFantasyLeague.com, Fanball.com, etc…) are system driven – they have the ability to interface with the NFL boxscores and provide quick and accurate fantasy scores. However, once in a while, their systems do not recognize oddities like this.

The important thing here is to act in accordance to what your rules state. If all TDs are worth 6 points, then you should have 6 points awarded to Robert Meachem’s score for the week. You may need to add those points manually if your league management system does not do it for you. If your rules state specific TDs that are worth 6 points and offensive fumble recoveries are not one of them, then you should not count this TD.

If your rules permit Team Defense fumble recoveries for a TD as worth 6 points and your league management system awarded 6 points for this score, you may have to reduce that team’s score by 6 points. This is NOT a defensive TD.

GUIDING PRINCIPLE

Your league rules should be the basis for your decision. If your league management system scores a play inconsistent with your league rules, then your Commissioner should make a manual adjustment so that the recorded score is consistent with your league rules.

If you do not like the way your league rules handled this situation, then address it in the offseason – not now. Leagues should not be holding a vote to see how this matter should be resolved.

Edited by myhousekey