[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can I intentionally lose?

JustDoIt

I am in a 14 man league where the top six make the playoffs.

Going into this week I knew i could either make the 5, 6, or 7 spot. Now that most of the games are over I know I can either get the 5th seed with a win or the sixth seed with a loss. My dad has the 1 seed and I would much prefer to not play him except in the championship game. I am down by 16 and have Crosby and Rice to go. Would it be wrong of me to sit those two players to automatically lose so that I get the sixth seed?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a 14 man league where the top six make the playoffs.

Going into this week I knew i could either make the 5, 6, or 7 spot. Now that most of the games are over I know I can either get the 5th seed with a win or the sixth seed with a loss. My dad has the 1 seed and I would much prefer to not play him except in the championship game. I am down by 16 and have Crosby and Rice to go. Would it be wrong of me to sit those two players to automatically lose so that I get the sixth seed?

WWHMD

I had already locked up a playoff spot before this week, and I benched my entire roster to keep from playing the highest scoring team in the league next week in the playoffs. In my opinion, as long as you're doing it for your own advatange and not to help someone else gain a playoff spot....who gives a rats ass? Its your team...do what you want. :wacko::D

Most of the leagues I'm in have a "no throwing games" rule. It really showed this year with a ton of teams being within a game of making or missing the playoffs. Think of it the other way, an owner needs the team playing you to loose to make the final playoff spot but you benched your entire roster giving your opponent the last spot. I've had that happen to me and it is the most unfair BS ever. We all felt it was collusion but it wasn't spelled out in the rules that the specific form of collusion was illegal so their was nothing I could do but bring it up at next years draft. The rule is still pretty open to interpretation and it would take a league consensus to change a roster but it's obvious when it happens.

Not to mention weekly high score prizes have made the problem a thing of the past.

that would be wrong. there are a lot of reasons to throw a game and as soon as you justify one than folk can start justifying reasons to throw all sorts of games. In not playing your dad you could be giving the perception that you 2 are looking to split the winnings at the end oft the year and are looking to better your odds. I don't think that this is happening, but you could certainly give that impression and give the guy looking to toss a game to get a better draft pick ammo to do so.

Does the outcome of your game affect the playoff position for anyone else in the league, either who you are playing or who you might displace in the playoff standings?

that would be wrong. there are a lot of reasons to throw a game and as soon as you justify one than folk can start justifying reasons to throw all sorts of games. In not playing your dad you could be giving the perception that you 2 are looking to split the winnings at the end oft the year and are looking to better your odds.

I would never do that anyway but DJ points out a good reason why.

:wacko: YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

Edited by Puddy

that would be wrong. there are a lot of reasons to throw a game and as soon as you justify one than folk can start justifying reasons to throw all sorts of games. In not playing your dad you could be giving the perception that you 2 are looking to split the winnings at the end oft the year and are looking to better your odds. I don't think that this is happening, but you could certainly give that impression and give the guy looking to toss a game to get a better draft pick ammo to do so.

Would your opinion on it change at all if it does not affect anyone making the playoffs? the only thing that will change is me and the other team switching at the 5 or six seed.

Edited by JustDoIt

I understand you're thinking; however, you missed DJ's point... you and your dad might get accussed of collusion. Re-read DJ's post.

I understand that post, but it seems to me that same argument can then be made about anyone who benches players on monday night, and many of the forums have already said that is okay.

Regardless, how can it be collusion if all that would happen is the 5 and 6 seed switches spots?

Regardless, how can it be collusion if all that would happen is the 5 and 6 seed switches spots?

Dad and son conveniently avoid each other in the playoffs until later and split the winnings if all works out according to their super evil plan.

In all honesty I probably won't sit my players just because i don't want to cause a fuss, but that does not mean that I completely agree with this because...

Dad and son conveniently avoid each other in the playoffs until later and split the winnings if all works out according to their super evil plan.

If we never traded at all, never had any of the same two players... How would avoiding him in the playoffs be a form of collusion? I am not helping him out at all. I am simply prefering not to play against him, not only because I would rather not, but because he has one heck of a team that I would rather not see if I don't have to...

Edited by JustDoIt

I am always amazed at the people who claim it is "wrong" for an owner to bench players in an effort to take a loss to improve playoff positioning. It seems to me as if I paid my money and I should be able to manage my team as I see fit ... even if that means benching players to jockey for what I percieve to be a better playoff position. When you are playing fantasty football the goal is to win the championship NOT to ensure that the line up you submit each week is the most fair and beneficial to all the other (or any of the other) teams in the league.

An owner making a conscious decision to downgrade his starting lineup in an effort to improve playoff positioning or draft position is doing what his best for his team ... as long as he can demonstrate this is what he is doing he should be allowed.

Would I like it if it cost me a shot at the playoffs ... nope.

Whould I do it ... nope ... I want every win I can get ... and I just know if I do it I will have sealed my fate for a 1st round loss (karma and all).

I am always amazed at the people who claim it is "wrong" for an owner to bench players in an effort to take a loss to improve playoff positioning. It seems to me as if I paid my money and I should be able to manage my team as I see fit ... even if that means benching players to jockey for what I percieve to be a better playoff position. When you are playing fantasty football the goal is to win the championship NOT to ensure that the line up you submit each week is the most fair and beneficial to all the other (or any of the other) teams in the league.

An owner making a conscious decision to downgrade his starting lineup in an effort to improve playoff positioning or draft position is doing what his best for his team ... as long as he can demonstrate this is what he is doing he should be allowed.

Whould I do it ... nope ... I want every win I can get ... and I just know if I do it I will have sealed my fate for a 1st round loss (karma and all).

Interesting reply. I have agreed with this in the past. So much so, that I did throw a game years ago because it meant you got the 1st overall pick the next year. Additionally is was a keeper league and I was very interested in the upcoming draft class to reload my lineup. Other teams complained and freaked out about it. My thought was that I'm only trying to improve my team for next year since I'm out of the playoffs this year.

I don't remember if it impacted the playoff seeding or not, but I remember being pissed that everyone freaked out.

Oppositely, you seem to be taking the view of the NFL, where winning is all that matters, and then applying that logic to FF, where competition, fairness and respect should count just as much. You're right that this owner has every right to do so, and will likely seal his fate in the process, but it still doesn't make this strategy "right" either. If it was a dynasty league, then that's fine it you decide to give up and strategize draft picks for next year, but in a redraft league, you play till the bitter end. Otherwise, you are affecting other teams in the playoff hunt in a pretty disgraceful way, and if someone did this in one of my leagues, they surely would not be invited back next year.

Like others have said, it's just bad form, and invites perceptions of collusion and unfairness, regardless of your intentions... Not to mention you are giving the points-league advocates one more reason why H2H is flawed... But I guess dignity and respect go out the window when you start having sanctioned leagues for big money though.

Oppositely, you seem to be taking the view of the NFL, where winning is all that matters, and then applying that logic to FF, where competition, fairness and respect should count just as much. You're right that this owner has every right to do so, and will likely seal his fate in the process, but it still doesn't make this strategy "right" either. If it was a dynasty league, then that's fine it you decide to give up and strategize draft picks for next year, but in a redraft league, you play till the bitter end. Otherwise, you are affecting other teams in the playoff hunt in a pretty disgraceful way, and if someone did this in one of my leagues, they surely would not be invited back next year.

Like others have said, it's just bad form, and invites perceptions of collusion and unfairness, regardless of your intentions... Not to mention you are giving the points-league advocates one more reason why H2H is flawed... But I guess dignity and respect go out the window when you start having sanctioned leagues for big money though.

Why exactly does one have "play to the bitter end" in a redraft league? Why do I care how other teams are impacted if I am trying to improve my playoff positioning to improve my chances at winning the championship? You are maintaining that I should do what is NOT the best for my team so that another team in the league might have a better chance at making the playoffs? That is bogus.

As to the appearance of improriety and collusion ... if I say I'm downgrading my starting lineup to improve my playoff positioning this should be easy to observe. Just because somebody doesn't like it doesn't mean it has to be collusion.

Furthermore I expect EVERYBODY here joins a fantasy league to win so stop with this crap about "fairness, respect and competitiveness". Why exactly is intentionally trying to lose ONE game to improve the long term chances of a championship and invalid strategy? The fairest thing of all to do is to make sure the talent is equally spread through out all teams and to divide the money up equally ... are you advocating this policy? Each week redistributing the players so that everybody has an equal chance of winning? Then at the end simply dividing the pot up fairly? This is what you are advocating?

OH OH OH .. I KNOW ... GIVE EVERYBODY A PARTICIPATION TROPHY!

Edited by Grits and Shins

And because of attitudes like this, our league requires you to submit a competitive lineup every week because of the impact it may have on other teams' playoff hopes and seeding. We realized that there was a possibility that people might think that "because it isn't against the rules, that must make it OK," so we made it against the rules. This isn't the NFL. This is also why we do a re-draft with random draft order, where there should be far less motivation to tank for next year.

The fairest thing of all to do is to make sure the talent is equally spread through out all teams and to divide the money up equally ... are you advocating this policy? Each week redistributing the players so that everybody has an equal chance of winning? Then at the end simply dividing the pot up fairly? This is what you are advocating?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm advocating. I'm glad we're on the same page here...

No, I'm advocating not being a worry wart, and playing the game the way it's supposed to be played: by putting the players in your lineup that you think will score the most points... period. Like I said, you have every right to tank, but I'll hang on to my right to play in leagues with people who are above taking a shady loophole like this.