[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can I intentionally lose?

JustDoIt

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't this happen in the nfl? when teams have a playoff spot wrapped up, they usually don't play their starters the whole game, right? they don't care if the team they're playing might be fighting for a playoff spot, do they? so, if i paid my money & knew if i win my game this week, i'd have to play someone who has great matchups. but if i lose, the guy i'd go against has tougher matchups, then why should i care about how this affects everyone else. i'm playing to win the game...and by game i mean the championship. i paid my money, so i should be free to do whatever i want. like grits said earlier, i'm not playing for a participation throphy. if i wanted to do that, i'd sign up for an elementary school field day.

Not if the NFL team doesn't want to play their DAD

Edited by The Mucca

doesn't this happen in the nfl? when teams have a playoff spot wrapped up, they usually don't play their starters the whole game, right? they don't care if the team they're playing might be fighting for a playoff spot, do they? so, if i paid my money & knew if i win my game this week, i'd have to play someone who has great matchups. but if i lose, the guy i'd go against has tougher matchups, then why should i care about how this affects everyone else. i'm playing to win the game...and by game i mean the championship. i paid my money, so i should be free to do whatever i want. like grits said earlier, i'm not playing for a participation throphy. if i wanted to do that, i'd sign up for an elementary school field day.

You're right... Let's just compare this to the real NFL, where coaches and players lose their jobs if they don't win. Them sitting their players for rest is a bit different than you sitting your active studs to manipulate the playoff standings in a simple fantasy game. And no, paying money does not give you the right to do whatever you want. Yes, it gives you the right to do what the league allows, but that still doesn't mean that tanking is the right thing to do.

Of course you have the right to tank if there's no rules against it, but if you can't see why people would be mad (and have rules to prevent this), then that says alot about the morals of some of you.

But ya, you're right, I must just want a participation trophy because I'm arguing for competitiveness, not tanking...Flawless logic.. It sounds more like you all just want an easy win, rather than a respectable one.

It's not a rules question, it's a moral question. If you don't have a rule against it, you can do whatever you like. Just understand that others in the league may not be happy with your choice and it could cause future problems. Especially with another family member involved. If you don't care, do this :wacko: and bench your players. I don't think I would do it. Given the uncertainty in FF, I doubt your chances of winning would be increased enough to deal with the problems it could cause. Also, If you just don't want to knock out your dad you shouldn't be in a league with him. Every player should be trying to beat every other player.

If it's not in the rules, people can biatch all they want but don't really have a leg to stand on. I think it's kinda weak but not so horrific. Still, if that happened in my league I would insist some kind of rule be put in next year to at least minimize chances of this. Maybe say that for last X wks of the season you cannot start a player who is questionable, doubtful or out, cannot start a known backup/minor player (eg Chester Taylor) over a starter, cannot start someone who is X pts or X % less pts scored this year than another avail starter, stuff like that.

Stuff like this is why I wouldn't want to play in a league with sick amounts of money riding on it, because it promotes people just caring about the $ and not the fun of it.

Edited by BeeR

Right and they give an explanation of how this works http://printyourbrackets.com/NFLplayoff.html and if you view the bracket from last year, it demonstrates how this method comes into play.

Thanks Frankf

That takes me back to this

If you tank and get seed 6, wouldn't you be doing what you don't want to do? whacko2.gif

If it's not in the rules, people can biatch all they want but don't really have a leg to stand on.

However I would suggest some kind of rule to at least minimize this. Maybe say that for last 2 wks of the season you cannot start a player who is questionable, doubtful or out, cannot start a known backup/minor player (eg Chester Taylor) over a starter, cannot start someone who is X pts or X % less pts scored this year than another avail starter, stuff like that.

Stuff like this is why I wouldn't want to play in a league with sick amounts of money riding on it. I like some to keep it interesting, but too much and all people care about is the $ not the fun of it.

Collusion is a big leg to stand on, did he discuss tanking with his dad first? if I was in this league

I would sure ask this question.

If it's not in the rules, people can biatch all they want but don't really have a leg to stand on.

However I would suggest some kind of rule to at least minimize this. Maybe say that for last 2 wks of the season you cannot start a player who is questionable, doubtful or out, cannot start a known backup/minor player (eg Chester Taylor) over a starter, cannot start someone who is X pts or X % less pts scored this year than another avail starter, stuff like that.

Stuff like this is why I wouldn't want to play in a league with sick amounts of money riding on it. I like some to keep it interesting, but too much and all people care about is the $ not the fun of it.

See, that isn't even what I am talking about.. This is not a sick amount of money. I think it would be more fun to avoid my dad until the super bowl. Not only that, but it makes for a better chance of winning.

This being said, I am not sitting the players, i just disagree with the logic of how that would be looked down upon.

nah... our league is not run like that...

It is just a matter of the way an individual or league wants to set up their tournament/playoff, it is not necessary that a fantasy football league follows the NFL Playoff Format, which I personally feel is a very strange format, a simple 6 team tournament bracket would work out just fine, as myself and others said it is all in your preference.

i am aware that this isn't the nfl. :wacko:

but why should it matter how i run my team?

Because you tried to use the NFL as an argument to justify doing this.

But If I have earned the right to decide who I want as the six seed and who I want as the fifth seed shouldn't I be able to?

How the hell have you earned the right to decide who gets what seed? What did you do to earn that right - finish in 5th place?

I still haven't heard who gets to decide if my lineup is competitive or not? Who gets to decide which players I have to start? Would you have allowed me to bench Reggie Wayne for Devone Bess last week? How about if I benched Tom Brady for Bruce Gradkowski ... would I have been allowed to do that? What about benching Tom Brady for Brady Quinn would that have been allowed? Would you have allowed me to bench Adrian Peterson for Jerome Harrison? Could I have benched Adrian Peterson for Darren Sproles? Would you have allowed me to bench Vincent Jackson for Louis Murphy? Would you have allowed me to bench Reggie Wayne for Devin Thomas? How does the person in your league making all these decisions know who will perform and be competitive?

I still haven't heard if I would be allowed a free transaction to pick up a player so that I could start a competitive lineup ... say for example my only kicker was Carney and Carney was inactivated last week.

I still haven't heard anybody answer why everybody's lineup isn't scrutinized every week to ensure that everybody starts their best lineups and who the individual is that gets to make all these decisions.

And it would be ludicrous not to allow me to start a player that is probable or questionable as players with this status play all the time.

bingo

I stand corrected, Your Majesty, you certainly have earned the right to seed the last two spots in the bracket because of your incredible performance this season. As was stated earlier, this isn't a rules question, it's a moral question. If it doesn't bother you, then do it. Just don't be shocked when the people in your league call you out for being a d!ck.

I stand corrected, Your Majesty, you certainly have earned the right to seed the last two spots in the bracket because of your incredible performance this season. As was stated earlier, this isn't a rules question, it's a moral question. If it doesn't bother you, then do it. Just don't be shocked when the people in your league call you out for being a d!ck.

So you are telling me that it is morally wrong to down grade my lineup in an effort to achieve the ultimate goal of everybody in the league. LOL that is a joke. I certainly can understand why it would make some people unhappy and I would never do it because I want every win I could get (and I know it would back fire on me) but it isn't morally wrong. If the rules don't prohibit it then it isn't morally wrong. If the rules do prohibit it then you are simply breaking the rules. I have yet to see how this rule is enforceable.

I still haven't heard who gets to decide if my lineup is competitive or not? Who gets to decide which players I have to start? Would you have allowed me to bench Reggie Wayne for Devone Bess last week? How about if I benched Tom Brady for Bruce Gradkowski ... would I have been allowed to do that? What about benching Tom Brady for Brady Quinn would that have been allowed? Would you have allowed me to bench Adrian Peterson for Jerome Harrison? Could I have benched Adrian Peterson for Darren Sproles? Would you have allowed me to bench Vincent Jackson for Louis Murphy? Would you have allowed me to bench Reggie Wayne for Devin Thomas? How does the person in your league making all these decisions know who will perform and be competitive?

I still haven't heard if I would be allowed a free transaction to pick up a player so that I could start a competitive lineup ... say for example my only kicker was Carney and Carney was inactivated last week.

I still haven't heard anybody answer why everybody's lineup isn't scrutinized every week to ensure that everybody starts their best lineups and who the individual is that gets to make all these decisions.

And it would be ludicrous not to allow me to start a player that is probable or questionable as players with this status play all the time.

I'll say it again. If you make a move to make your team better, you're fine. There are no "death squads" to go over everyone's lineup. This would only come in to play if a team is obviously tanking a game, and there would have to be a reason for them to tank. If you can justify your moves, do whatever you want. And if you're willing to lie about your motives with regard to starting a player, you'll probably get away with it. And next year, you'd probably be looking for a new league. Arguing against a point by taking it to unrealistic, ridiculous extremes is weak.

So you are telling me that it is morally wrong to down grade my lineup in an effort to achieve the ultimate goal of everybody in the league. LOL that is a joke. I certainly can understand why it would make some people unhappy and I would never do it because I want every win I could get (and I know it would back fire on me) but it isn't morally wrong. If the rules don't prohibit it then it isn't morally wrong. If the rules do prohibit it then you are simply breaking the rules. I have yet to see how this rule is enforceable.

:wacko: I'm stunned that you don't see this as a moral issue.

If the rules don't prohibit it then it isn't morally wrong. If the rules do prohibit it then you are simply breaking the rules. I have yet to see how this rule is enforceable.

Actually, any introductory pre-law class would tell you differently. What is legal is not necessarily moral and the other way around... but when people like you suppose that everything that is legal is moral, then that is why we end up needing morality rules.

You're correct that it's incredibly difficult to enforce, but that doesn't make it ethical.