[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Seeding

bigdre13

My league has three divisions; each division winner along with the next three best teams make the playoffs. We have one division that has a winner with a 5-8 record and EVERY wild card team has a better record. Do I have to give the division winner a #3 seed or can i seed him #6 since his record is so bad??

My league has three divisions; each division winner along with the next three best teams make the playoffs. We have one division that has a winner with a 5-8 record and EVERY wild card team has a better record. Do I have to give the division winner a #3 seed or can i seed him #6 since his record is so bad??

Division leaders get #1-3 seed regardless of record

#3 Seed.

Do league rules address this?

If not, would go with NFL seeding rules, which give the division winners the top seeds, then the wilcard teams the lowest seeds. Meaning the division winner with the worst record gets the #3 seed. Does not matter that all the wildcard teams have a better record than this.

If not, would go with NFL seeding rules, which give the division winners the top seeds, then the wilcard teams the lowest seeds. Meaning the division winner with the worst record gets the #3 seed. Does not matter that all the wildcard teams have a better record than this.

This IMO.. and clarify league rules in the offseason to prevent any confusion or to change this of the league prefers.

5-8? What a joke. At least, he probably won't get a BYE at #3.

W/L record in not the true 'tale of the tape'...biggest factor IMHO in FF is the 'points against' column. If you are the 2nd highest scoring team week in and week out, but you happen to play the highest scoring team your W/L record will suck...

There's almost always at least 1 of those teams in every league, every year... :wacko:

#1- Rules should be set prior to season

#2- Division winners should be 1,2,3

#3- I would love to be the #6 seed

To the above point on the "biggest factor" In my league all three division winners had the least "points against" :wacko:

Also, we had for the first time ever, all three WC teams come from the same division, all 8-5. I again have positioned myself for a run at the Toilet Bowl with a disturbing 3-10 mark!

Agreed. Seed #3 unless your league rules address otherwise.

I'm starting to think that divisions really suck. As if fantasy weren't arbitrary enough.

5-8? What a joke. At least, he probably won't get a BYE at #3.

Divisions are used to create rivalries and to add another level of complexity to the game. This is the reason why the NFL has divisions. They make it a local affair. It's not necessary in fantasy. You could just pick the top 6 seeds or top 4. However, I like divisions, although it does make it more difficult.

In a 16-team dynasty league, my division had three winning teams with one not making the playoffs due to the tie breaker. The team that didn't make it had the same record as several other teams in other divisions, but lost the total pts tie-breaker by 2.4 pts. It makes more games matter in different ways. Of course, it's all fantasy, cause you really can't play them any differently.

A 5-8 team making it to the playoffs. The only good thing is that it shows that it's still possible to get it, and to not give up. Plus, getting hot at the right time can mean a lot. Again, it's not really fair, but it's the game.

That said, many leagues don't use divisions anymore.

Edited by electricrelish

In one of my leagues we have 4 divisions of 3 teams. 4 division winners make the playoffs and 2 wildcards. There are several reasons we went to this format - it allows every team to play division opponents twice and every other team once without going to a double header week and without playing week 17. It also means that teams can stay in the race longer as they only have to get ahead of the two teams in their division to make the playoffs.

There are definite pluses and minues to this approach. I do like the H2H format with divisions but on the occassion that a wildcard team misses the playoffs with a better record than a division winner it is kind of lame (although that happened when we had 3 divisions of 4 teams as well).

[ETA]

The one concession I did get though was to restructure the payouts. When we were 3 divisions of 4 teams there was a payout for winning the division and a smaller payout for winning a wildcard spot. Then there were payouts based on how far you got into the playoffs. With the new division format we changed it so the only thing winning your division does is impact playoff seeding. All money is based 100% on where you finished in the playoffs 1 though 6.

Edited by Grits and Shins