[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

F-ing Yahoo just changed Meachemscoring yet again

Dcat

Now Yahoo is awarding Meachem 3 TDs. One for the 53 yard reception. And they awarding him 2 TDs for his return TD!!!!!!! One for an Offensive fumble return TD and another for defensive TD.

So, they are giving him 2 TDs for the same exact play. And they took away the TD from New Orleans defense. Yahoo has totally f-ed this up.

Fortunately, it has no affect on the outcomes in my leagues, but man, what a mess. It should be a TD for New Orleans and a TD for Meachem. Not two TDs for Meachem on a single play!

EDIT:

Looks like they are giving him 2 TDs for that same play in IDP leagues. In non IDP leagues Meachem is getting a single TD (offensive fumble return for a TD), fine. But in IDP leagues, Yahoo is mistaknely giving him an offensive fumble return for a TD PLUS a defensive TD for the same play.

Edited by Dcat

Really?? My yahoo league finally fixed it. Meachem still has 1 TD, but his points have been changed to award the return TD. Saints D got the TD taken away also, which is exactly how the whole thing should be scored, IMO.

Looks like they are giving him 2 TDs for that same play in IDP leagues. In non IDP leagues Meachem is getting a single TD (offensive fumble return for a TD), fine. But in IDP leagues, Yahoo is mistaknely giving him an offensive fumble return for a TD PLUS a defensive TD for the same play.

Taking his TD away from the NO D/ST made a big difference in my League - for me, specifically. With the TD awarded I lose my matchup last week and fall from 1st place to 3rd. But with no TD awarded to the NO D, I win my matchup last week, I finish in 1st, and have a 1st round bye.

So I love it! :wacko:

Edited by PPIchamp

I find it ridiculous that you can get 2 TD's for scoring 1. If Devin Hester returns a punt for a TD he doesn't get the TD as a player and then as a speacial teamer. It's crazy. 1 TD should equal 1 TD. I bet this has screwed a lot of people this week.

Proper scoring for this in non IDP leagues should be as follows:

Meachems touchdown on the "fumble" should be scored to the D/ST and NOT to Meachem. As soon as the interception was made, the Saints were on Defense. So the ensuing fumble and return for touchdown would be points for the D/ST.

Look at it another way....if Peyton Manning threw an interception and it was returned for a touchdown...doesnt the D get the score? It really is that simple. Actually the Colts were involved in a similar play several years ago when Manning had a pick and the team fumbled and the Colts scored. Points to D not to the offensive player.

I find it ridiculous that you can get 2 TD's for scoring 1. If Devin Hester returns a punt for a TD he doesn't get the TD as a player and then as a speacial teamer. It's crazy. 1 TD should equal 1 TD. I bet this has screwed a lot of people this week.

unless it is a QB that throws a pass, batted up in the air, he catches his own pass and he runs it in for a TD

Meachems touchdown on the "fumble" should be scored to the D/ST and NOT to Meachem. As soon as the interception was made, the Saints were on Defense. So the ensuing fumble and return for touchdown would be points for the D/ST.

Look at it another way....if Peyton Manning threw an interception and it was returned for a touchdown...doesnt the D get the score? It really is that simple. Actually the Colts were involved in a similar play several years ago when Manning had a pick and the team fumbled and the Colts scored. Points to D not to the offensive player.

Nope. Proper scoring should be 6pts for Meachem PLUS the rushing yards from where he recovered (44yds), -2 for Brees for the Int. and +2 for Wash D for the Int in the first place.

Nothing whatsoever for Saints D. That's just stupid. Common sense people...common sense.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Proper scoring should be a function of each leagues scoring rules.

Most of the online hosting sites have established rules on how they score these types of plays after the McCardell play back in 2003 I believe.

General consensus is that for the purposes of fantasy football, the team that is on the field at the start of the play is the team on the field at the end of the play, so there is no switching between offense and defense, even though by strict interpretation of the NFL rules/definitions, this does happen.

But if the Saints are on defense as soon as the turnover occurred (interception), doesn't it also mean the Redskins became the offense? If so, don't the Saints become the offense again, once the turnover (fumble) occurred, leaving the Redskins on the defense? If so, how does a defense ever score a TD, since they immediately become the offense if they get a turnover?

Of course that logic is redonkulous.

Offense and defense doesn't change several times during the same play. The Saints offense was on the field for the whole play, and the Redskins defense was on the field for the whole play. I'll watch it again, but I'm pretty sure there were no substitutions while the play was going on.

completely wrong, you stay the same from prior to the snap until the play ends, you never at any point switch what you are playing from offense to defense.

again completely wrong , and not even the same thing?? Of course the Def gets the score when they intercept the ball and score, what this would compare to more closely is if brees thru to colston who fumbled the ball and meachem fell on it in the endzone. ( not exactly , but closer) this would not be for the defense.

Edited by G.K.Trey

Nope. Proper scoring should be 6pts for Meachem PLUS the rushing yards from where he recovered (44yds), -2 for Brees for the Int. and +2 for Wash D for the Int in the first place.

Nothing whatsoever for Saints D. That's just stupid. Common sense people...common sense.

:wacko:

sorry Keg , but I am not.

oh and sorry because I didn't mean to come off harsh in my above post.

edit: if the defense becomes the offense when they intercept of recover a fumble then you could never technically have a defensive score.

technically on your bolded part you are 100% correct

per NFL Rule book

Section 36 Team A and B, Offense and Defense

Article 1 Whenever a team is in possession (3-2-7), it is the Offense and, at such

time, its opponent is the Defense.

Article 2 The team that puts the ball in play is Team A, and its opponent is Team B. For

brevity, a player of Team A is referred to as A1 and his teammates as A2, A3, etc.

Opponents are B1, B2, etc.

Note: A team becomes Team A when it has been designated to put ball in play, and it

remains Team A until a down ends, even though there might be one or more changes of

possession during the down. This is in contrast with the terms Offense and Defense.

Team A is always the offense when a down starts, but becomes the defense if and when

B secures possession during the down, and vice versa for each change of possession.

Article 3 A change of possession occurs when a player of the defensive team secures

possession of a ball that has been kicked, passed, or fumbled by a player of the offensive

team, or when the ball is awarded to the offensive team, or when the ball is awarded

to the opposing team by rule. A change of possession includes but is not limited to:

(a) an interception of a forward pass; or

(b ) a catch or recovery of a fumble or backward pass; or

(c ) a catch or recovery of a Scrimmage Kick, Free Kick, or Fair Catch Kick.

(d) when the offensive team fails to reach the line to gain on fourth down.

(e) when the offensive team misses a field-goal attempt.

Edited by keggerz

sorry Keg , but I am not.

edit: if the defense becomes the offense when they intercept of recover a fumble then you could never technically have a defensive score.

it applies differently from offense to defense because offense can change to defense while defense never becomes the offense unless the ball changes hand from team to team at least 4x....which is highly improbable...

Edited by Avernus

How many passes did Meachem catch?

How many yards did he get from catching those passes?

How many receiving TDs did he have?

How many rushing attempts did he have?

How many rushing yards did he have (other than yards attributed to the fumble return)?

How many rushing TDs did he have (other than the one attributed to the fumble return)?

I played the guy last week who had Meachem and the Saints D. Yahoo gave Meachem two TD's for the same "defensive" score (as well as the TD he caught while on "offense" of course).

I lost by 2 points and am out of the playoffs unless the maelstrom happens this weekend. Ugh.

it applies differently from offense to defense because offense can change to defense while defense never becomes the offense unless the ball changes hand from team to team at least 4x....which is highly improbable...

I am not sure what you mean by that but the ball doesn't have to change 4x to make the defense technically become the offense...according to NFL Rules once a defender (call him a LB) intercepts of picks up a fumlbe then he and his other 10 teammates are considered to be on offense, immediately during that play.

I am not sure what you mean by that but the ball doesn't have to change 4x to make the defense technically become the offense...according to NFL Rules once a defender (call him a LB) intercepts of picks up a fumlbe then he and his other 10 teammates are considered to be on offense, immediately during that play

I agree with you if there's no McCardell rule in place, but how can you say that this is the way it should be scored? The NFL might not care who started on offense, but as you've seen from these threads, it makes a huge difference for fantasy.

If an intercepting D can score a DEFENSIVE TD even though they're technically the offense, then how does it make any sense for an offensive team to get the ball back, and it is still a DEFENSIVE TD, without that D ever being out on the field... You don't see the flaw in that logic??

I think this is a perfect example of how NFL rules shouldn't necessarily apply to fantasy, because the games are in fact different, and thus, scoring can affect them differently. For the sake of fantasy scoring, there should be NO WAY that the side of the ball should change with every turnover, especially since it doesn't change for an intercepting D. You can't really have it both ways.

I agree with you if there's no McCardell rule in place, but how can you say that this is the way it should be scored? The NFL might not care who started on offense, but as you've seen from these threads, it makes a huge difference for fantasy.

If an intercepting D can score a DEFENSIVE TD even though they're technically the offense, then how does it make any sense for an offensive team to get the ball back, and it is still a DEFENSIVE TD, without that D ever being out on the field... You don't see the flaw in that logic??

I think this is a perfect example of how NFL rules shouldn't necessarily apply to fantasy, because the games are in fact different, and thus, scoring can affect them differently. For the sake of fantasy scoring, there should be NO WAY that the side of the ball should change with every turnover, especially since it doesn't change for an intercepting D. You can't really have it both ways.

in one of these threads I stated I thought it should be ruled an offensive fumble recovery TD...and outside of that I would say leagues should write special language into their rules to cover stuff like this and even saying when a "defensive player" or "defensive team" (not dictated by possession but by position) is considered to be the one that scored the TD

giving anything beyond forced fumble and fumble recovery points to the NO Defense is wrong, imo