[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Review the 09 draft

Seahawks21

Ok, I am a Cowboys fan, but I live in Detroit area so I will give the Detroit update.

1st Stafford - Looks like he may be a legitimate starting QB. All reports here say he owns the huddle and the team is with him, unlike Joey Harrington who was never respected here. Has thrown a lot of int's but that's to be expected. IMO they should have taken Raji or J. Smith

1st Pettigrew - Showed some real signs of improvement, had a couple of nive performances before an injury shortened the season. IMO should have taken Oher

2nd - L. Delmas - looks like a solid pick. Has made some serious hits and good plays

3rd Levy - Starting as a OLB now due to injury, jury is still out

Rest of draft...who knows at this point

Dallas draft

WHO CARES! WE TRADED FOR ROY WILLIAMS AFTER KNOWING HE WANTED TO PLAY FOR US AND COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM AS A FREE AGENT ANYWAY!!!

Cincinnati Bengals

1 6 OT Andre Smith, Alabama

2 38 LB Rey Maualuga, USC

3 70 DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

3 98 TE Chase Coffman, Missouri

4 106 C Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas

5 142 Punter Kevin Huber, UC

6 179 CB Morgan Trent, Michigan

6 209 RB Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian

7 215 RB Fui Vakapuna, BYU

7 249 DT Clinton McDonald, Memphis

7 252 WR Freddie Brown, Utah

The jury is still out on Andre. He's just started getting some game action. Rey has been as good as advertised. I think he was the steal of the draft. shouldn't have been there in the 2nd. Michael Johnson has played in the nickel package most of the year. He has gotten more and more comfortable as the season's worn on. I think we got another steal there. Chase has been inactive all year, and was just IRed. His foot hasn't been right in 2 years. We should know if he's a bust by next year. Luigs is a backup. The emergence of Kyle Cook has kept Luigs on the bench. I think Huber has been our real rookie of the year. He has made a weakness a major strength. I think he's one of the biggest factors in our D's success. Already one of the better punters in the league as a rookie. MTrent has been a pleasant surprise as our Nickel corner. He has been great in run support and shows good natural instincts. I think he lacks the speed to be anything more than a nickel corner though. BScott is our most electryfing RB. His checkered past made him slip this late in the draft. He's a player. The rest of the players either didn't make the team or are on the practice squad.

Honorable mention goes out to Tom Nelson, our backup FS. He's an undrafted FA that got his first career INT last week.

All in all I would give this draft an A+, and that's even with Andre Smith still up in the air. As a Bengals fan I keep expecting to wake up anytime now :wacko:

Packers have four great players from this past draft: DT Raji(1),LB Matthews(1), OT Lang(4) and LB Jones(7). Has a chance to be one of their best ever.

Yea, Ted Thompsen!

You spell your GM's name about as well as you are at taking an honest evaluation of the Packer's draft. I understand Packer fans are used to underperforming draft picks but this year is far and away from being ther best draft ever. The fact of the matter is Raji is one of the biggest busts of the draft so far. ZERO starts in 10 games, 14 tackles, 3 assists, and a sack from the 9th pick isn't even close to "best draft ever."

Matthews has really been coming into his own in the pass rush tied for first among rookies in sacks, and that's been huge with Kampman falling off but you'd like to see him shed his blocker and tackle much better. I'd rate him in the top 5 for this years rookie LBs but he's far from the best of the draft.

Lang has been solid in the run block. Love the guys physicality in that aspect, however he has a long way to go in the pass block. I think he will develop into one of the better spot starters in the NFL, but I don't see him being an everyday starter unless he shows vast improvement in his pass blocking technique. He has started 3 game but that was based on need and if anything showed even more that the Pack made a major mistake in waiting until Lang for a OT.

Brad Jones came on strong and was flying around the field making tackles on everyone and was playing well enough to earn the starting job on that side with Kampman on IR, but even before that happened he was being rotated in for various personel. One of the better picks and time will tell if he can keep it up.

Man, I was hoping someone else would do the Rams, but here goes:

1st - Jason Smith - Solid pick, though underwhelming in camp. In fact he did not start at the beginning of the season. Now, he's got a cuncussion he's had for several weeks, and they're saying it may be not just season-threatening, but career-threatening. Great.

2nd - James Laurinaitis - Another solid pick. He has been good, not great, and at times shows that he is still definitely a rookie. Not a Pro-Bowl kinda guy, but could be a solid starter for years.

3rd - Bradley Fletcher - Meh. Just another guy in a ridiculously bad secondary.

4th - Darell Scott - Meh. Just another guy on a ridiculously bad D-line.

5th - Brooks Foster - WR on IR. Runs fast, catches more like Foster Brooks.

6th - Keith Null - Interesting late-round flier. Not a D-1 guy, but he's big, smart, strong and athletic. Reminds me of former Ram Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is showing in Buffalo that he may be something. Could be a diamond-in-the-rough guy.

7th - Chris Ogbonnaya - 4th on the depth chart behind SJax, Darby, and Gado. Can't beat out Darby and Gado. 'Nuff said.

You spell your GM's name about as well as you are at taking an honest evaluation of the Packer's draft. I understand Packer fans are used to underperforming draft picks but this year is far and away from being ther best draft ever. The fact of the matter is Raji is one of the biggest busts of the draft so far. ZERO starts in 10 games, 14 tackles, 3 assists, and a sack from the 9th pick isn't even close to "best draft ever."

Matthews has really been coming into his own in the pass rush tied for first among rookies in sacks, and that's been huge with Kampman falling off but you'd like to see him shed his blocker and tackle much better. I'd rate him in the top 5 for this years rookie LBs but he's far from the best of the draft.

Lang has been solid in the run block. Love the guys physicality in that aspect, however he has a long way to go in the pass block. I think he will develop into one of the better spot starters in the NFL, but I don't see him being an everyday starter unless he shows vast improvement in his pass blocking technique. He has started 3 game but that was based on need and if anything showed even more that the Pack made a major mistake in waiting until Lang for a OT.

Brad Jones came on strong and was flying around the field making tackles on everyone and was playing well enough to earn the starting job on that side with Kampman on IR, but even before that happened he was being rotated in for various personel. One of the better picks and time will tell if he can keep it up.

Well, #1, you pretty much said what a good draft it was. #2- I didn't feel the need to list our best drafts, but with you spewing your garbage talk, I thought you should have. #3) I said it has a chance. #5) I am one of the few who think the Packers HAVE to draft well in order to stay competitive since TT(there, i won't spell it) prefers to not sign FA. #6) Let's have some fun watching Favre single-handedly taking his team down. #7) I believe you need to make yourself feel better by pointing out one wrong letter. Apparently you don't measure up and need to put someone down to compensate.

Edited by The 13ers

Packers have four great players from this past draft: DT Raji(1),LB Matthews(1), OT Lang(4) and LB Jones(7). Has a chance to be one of their best ever.

I don't know that I'd say Lang and Jones are "great" - Lang doesn't even start, though he provides key depth on the line.

But heck, if Raji and Matthews play like they look like they're capable of, that alone would make the 09 draft a winner.

You're making the EXACT same point I've been trying to make with BeeR all season long. He (throughout the past 6 or 7 weeks) keeps telling me that they haven't played anyone..

Whether you're fishing or not, this has pretty old/lame, so getting back to the actual thread topic.....

I agree that despite some injuries and snags, Cincy had a great draft as suspected by many right after it happened. It does really key on Smith's ultimate outcome, but they knew he was a boom/bust when they drafted him. The D really does seem to have solidified though.