[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore Weather

Easy n Dirty

Rain, as long as it's not extremely heavy, is not the problem. Wind is the biggest issue. Rain can actually benefit the passing game.

I'm with Huddler...I think the rain may be a factor to an extent with an indoor team like Det...but, not as much Culpepper trying to survive...Although Balt's D isn't what it was...Ray Lewis is going to get them fired up and they'll play for pride at home this weekend!

BTW...please give me some input on my poll...I need to get my WRs for tomorrow...I have a poll "U Pick 3"...I could use everybody's help! It's my first ever playoff game! Thanks!

Rain, as long as it's not extremely heavy, is not the problem. Wind is the biggest issue. Rain can actually benefit the passing game.

That is a horrible line of thought. Event a fine mist is a problem for the passing game. Any substance touching a football affects both running and passing game. I mean, the Ref wipes off the ball before setting it :wacko: Rain will impact the passing game, the question is to what degree.

That being said, unless you have a better choice to start I wouldn't worry too much about.

That is a horrible line of thought. Event a fine mist is a problem for the passing game. Any substance touching a football affects both running and passing game. I mean, the Ref wipes off the ball before setting it :wacko: Rain will impact the passing game, the question is to what degree.

That being said, unless you have a better choice to start I wouldn't worry too much about.

Disagree completely. And great passing/receiving games have been posted in the rain which support what I've said. Sure the ball will be somewhat wet but my point is that the wind has a much bigger affect than does rain (as long as it's not heavy). I'd be more worried about Culpepper hurting C. Johnson than the rain.

Disagree completely. And great passing/receiving games have been posted in the rain which support what I've said. Sure the ball will be somewhat wet but my point is that the wind has a much bigger affect than does rain (as long as it's not heavy). I'd be more worried about Culpepper hurting C. Johnson than the rain.

Again, horrible line of thinking there Ace. Explain the horrible passing/receiving games in the rain then and tell me how that supports what you said. Simple physics are in play, there is an increase in risk to the standard mechanics of throwing and catching a ball when the football is wet. The kinetic energy transferred from the QBs arm to the ball is lessened and/or compromised by the water on the ball, when it is thrown this water disrupts normal air flow around the surface, reducing the transfer of kinetic energy from the QBs fingers to the ball causing his fingers to 'hydroplane' as he releases the ball, and same applies to the receiver. Simple odds will dictate that QBs and WRs will have good games here and there but those odds are founded on variables like - say - a team who plays outside in the bad weather verse a team from a dome. And no one is saying anything against your 'wind' assessment because if there is one thing we all know here its like you know your wind.

Again, horrible line of thinking there Ace. Explain the horrible passing/receiving games in the rain then and tell me how that supports what you said. Simple physics are in play, there is an increase in risk to the standard mechanics of throwing and catching a ball when the football is wet. The kinetic energy transferred from the QBs arm to the ball is lessened and/or compromised by the water on the ball, when it is thrown this water disrupts normal air flow around the surface, reducing the transfer of kinetic energy from the QBs fingers to the ball causing his fingers to 'hydroplane' as he releases the ball, and same applies to the receiver. Simple odds will dictate that QBs and WRs will have good games here and there but those odds are founded on variables like - say - a team who plays outside in the bad weather verse a team from a dome. And no one is saying anything against your 'wind' assessment because if there is one thing we all know here its like you know your wind.

As much as its pains me to agree with Irish, he's correct. Rain and sloppy fields benefit the offense and WRs. Its wind that really hurts the passing not rain. I know its counter-intuitive about catching and throwing but there is data that backs it up. I don't feel like looking right now but its out there.

Now really hard downpours will effect the WRs and QBs but a normal rain actually seems to help.

As much as its pains me to agree with Irish, he's correct. Rain and sloppy fields benefit the offense and WRs. Its wind that really hurts the passing not rain. I know its counter-intuitive about catching and throwing but there is data that backs it up. I don't feel like looking right now but its out there.

Now really hard downpours will effect the WRs and QBs but a normal rain actually seems to help.

I am sorry to hear this since I used to always respect you.

Let's put it this way, go back over 5 years and look at the stats. Nuff said.

And you are now dead to me

Gotta agree with Cliaz here.

While there is some truth to the fact that WRs can make their cuts with greater ease than DBs trying to react to them.....the simple truth is that throwing and catching a wet football in 40 degree temperatures is a hell of a lot more difficult than 70 degrees & dry. No brainer, actually.

I wouldn't bench a QB/WR over it, but I'd certainly downgrade their perdictions.

ETA: found this on NFL monster to sum it up:

Throwing in the Rain

•Rain makes the ball wet and heavier which will shorten the distance it travels, as well as the trajectory..

•Rain makes it harder to grip the ball, affecting the quarterback's ability to impart spin and force to it.

•Rain hitting the ball will shorten the distance it travels, as well as the trajectory.

•A wet uniform, as well as being cold, can affect the quarterback's ability to throw.

•Rain can also affect vision, making the target harder to determine.

•Mud and wet fields make footing less sure and can affect the force the quarterback imparts to the football.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

The new wet-grip gloves that have come out in the past couple years added to the fact that the refs now actively work to keep the ball somewhat dry during the game have dramatically lessened the effect of rain on a game. I hear what you're saying Cliaz, but at this point rain has very little impact on the passing game other than to make it harder for the d-backs to cover a guy.

That being said, on a natural surface, mud on the ball is a problem.

Brady, Moss and Welker really struggled with the mist of snow ealier this year vs Tenn 59 pts and 6 TD passes

Brady, Moss and Welker really struggled with the mist of snow ealier this year vs Tenn 59 pts and 6 TD passes

We were talking rain. Cold and snow are an entirely different matter.

At this point it's like asking me to explain it again like I do with my kids in school who didn't understand it the first 2 times. :wacko::D

BTW- I did enjoy the science lesson though, since I do teach science. Enjoy the games today.

Edited by irish

Calvin's game is more deep passes, which ARE effected by rain.

As I remember, there were a lot of shorter passes in that NE game that Welker was able to break for longer YAC.

Add in not the most accurate QB in Culpepper, and I am not happy that I have to start Calvin in a couple leagues . . .

Much as I hate to make switches on Sunday mornings (bad karma), I just took Calvin Johnson out of my lineup and inserted Driver. It was a close call for me all week - not at all happy about Culpepper starting, but on the other hand Driver's track record against the Bers is not a good one (track record strongly favors Jennings). Had Johnson in up until now, but the weather was enough for me to tip the scales.

Calvin Johnson owners should rejoice - I haven't gotten this one right all year.

Much as I hate to make switches on Sunday mornings (bad karma), I just took Calvin Johnson out of my lineup and inserted Driver. It was a close call for me all week - not at all happy about Culpepper starting, but on the other hand Driver's track record against the Bers is not a good one (track record strongly favors Jennings). Had Johnson in up until now, but the weather was enough for me to tip the scales.

Calvin Johnson owners should rejoice - I haven't gotten this one right all year.

Chicago has OWNED Donald Driver for the last several years . . . .