[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts for first picks next year...

JustDoIt

I decided to look at how the different teams are doing this year that made the playoffs..

The highest point total in our leauge is...

Palmer

CJ

Slaton

White

Ocho

Gonzo

Obviously he has CJ, enough said.

Second highest point total team's stars are/were

Brees

Rice

LT

Ronnie Brown

Marshall

Colston

Sims

Daniels (now finley)

Number 3

Farve

Pierre

Turner

Wayne

Welker

Shainco

Number 4

Peyton

DeAngelo

Ricky

T. Jones

Calvin

Sydney

Gonzalez

It seems to me, with the exception of the team with CJ, is that you need a stellar QB to perform at a high level. In our league, the team that has Rodgers is terrible(stopped caring, few transactions all year), but he is still above average record. The two wildcard teams in our leauge to make the playoffs had Brady qbing one, and Warner and Shaub rotating in the other. I used to believe in finding 2 average QB's late in the draft and playing match-ups and all those sorts of things. I don't believe that so much anymore. It seems to me like you can have a pretty average draft and, as long as you have a Stud QB, you can make up for it in other ways. I mean, in our leauge, the guys who drafted Turner, Forte(warner and shaub team), and LT all made the playoffs(3, 4, and 5 RB according to huddle).

Are you guys having similar findings?

In my 12 team league if i have an early pick I will for sure get CJ or MJD. going quarterback a lot earlier this year...cutler in the 7th round seemed like a steal to me but he has been awful. luckily i was able to trde him early in the year.

4pt TD or 6pt TD passes?

Massive scoring difference if you can land a tier one QB with 6pt TD. When Rodgers fell to me in the 4th round it gave me a chance to win every week.

But do not get carried away with 4 pt TD early round drafting.

:wacko:

Ok, I'll bite.

In Huddle Ladder, 4pt QB TDs, -1 INT, the difference between the #1 QB (Brees) and the #12 (Cutler) is 94 points.

In my local, 6pt QB TDs, -2 INT, -1 sack, the difference between the #1 QB (Brees) and the #12 (McNabb) is 143 points.

In relation to other positions, the drop off at QB is greater in my local than in other leagues. That is the important statistic. Our QB scoring makes a big difference.

My local is a keep 2 league. Manning(currently #2) and Rodgers(currently #3) both found their way into the draft this season. On draft day, when asked what my biggest mistake of the draft was, I responded "not trading up to secure a stud QB." I got Palmer deep in the draft (round 9, #14 currently), but what I would have sacrificed to get a top QB (an extra 99 to 123 pts on the year) would have been Jennings. That's a sacrifice I could have lived with.

looking at the teams quickly it looked like they all got good value in some mid round picks. that can be just as important if not more so than the first or second round pick.

I usually flub my 1st round pick....it's what you do in rounds 4-10 that decide how good your team is...

and then after that it's waiver wire activity..

I usually flub my 1st round pick....it's what you do in rounds 4-10 that decide how good your team is...

and then after that it's waiver wire activity..

I couldn't agree more with this. I am the #1 overall seed in my main local, and 4 of my first 5 picks in that league were Matt Forte, Greg Jennings, Kevin Smith and Dwayne Bowe. It's drafting guys like DeSean Jackson, Steve Smith (NYG), Visanthe Shiancoe, etc. in the later rounds and having foresight on the waiver wire with guys like Miles Austin (nabbed him right before he went off vs KC) that make or break your team. I had a couple of trades that worked out really well for me too, so there's that side to consider as well.

I don't imagine I'll ever take a QB in the first few rounds of any league unless the scoring is significantly skewed toward QBs. To the guy who nabbed Cutler in the 7th round, that's why you take your backup QB earlier than usual if you wait on a QB. Get two guys that have upside and hope that one of them goes off.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it would be: Drafting a QB early detracts too much from the rest of your team's starting quality.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it would be: Drafting a QB early detracts too much from the rest of your team's starting quality.

Would you say that the number 2 team i listed, who drafted a QB early, ended up having poor quality at the other positions.

I've always been a proponent of the stud QB. You have to have one. If you are really sure you can get one late, go ahead and try, but I don't have the balls for it. It just seemed like over the past ten years, the team that had Peyton Manning was always in contention come playoff time. If your QB underperforms, you're done. Period.

1st pick I'd go CJ. Just too much to pass up at this point.

2nd I'd go AD

3rd I'd go DeAnglo

After that I start to get in to the Brees/Moss/Wayne mode.

I don't imagine I'll ever take a QB in the first few rounds of any league unless the scoring is significantly skewed toward QBs. To the guy who nabbed Cutler in the 7th round, that's why you take your backup QB earlier than usual if you wait on a QB. Get two guys that have upside and hope that one of them goes off.

I have three stud QB's in Brady, Brees and Rogers, and all three were drafted early/auctioned high. The cool thing about a stud QB is you only need one, which frees up a roster spot in leagues that don't have a deep bench. Drafting a BU QB to cover the bye isn't worth it IMO, as you don't know what's going to happen on draft day oin week 8 and there will usually be someone on the wire you can start for one week.

Outside of the top 4 maybe, but in QB heavy leagues the difference is usually pretty big. While total points is an indicator, QB's tend to have fairly consistent scoring. A stud player may score 3 TD's in one game a lay eggs for the next two averaging them out, but QB's for the most part come in about the same for most weeks. Brees has a few stinkers as most of the big ones do, but the delta in having one stud QB and an extra waiver spot plus not having to play the match ups with lower QB's is worth more than most give to the position IMO.

Also, if you look at the top 10 scorers at any position and have most of the top spots are QB's, I'd bet most of the playoff teams had a stud QB... results may vary.

I have to be honest. With the typeface this website uses, I thought your username was JUSTDOLT. I just realized it's "just do it." Look at how it looks on your posts. Sorry, man that's just weird.

I couldn't agree more with this. I am the #1 overall seed in my main local, and 4 of my first 5 picks in that league were Matt Forte, Greg Jennings, Kevin Smith and Dwayne Bowe. It's drafting guys like DeSean Jackson, Steve Smith (NYG), Visanthe Shiancoe, etc. in the later rounds and having foresight on the waiver wire with guys like Miles Austin (nabbed him right before he went off vs KC) that make or break your team. I had a couple of trades that worked out really well for me too, so there's that side to consider as well.

Yeah, it makes you too reliant on HITTING with just about everyone of your other picks (which rarely happens)

I'm all for getting one of the top 5 QB's on draft day....as long as I can wait till say round 4-5 at the earliest

Yeah, it makes you too reliant on HITTING with just about everyone of your other picks (which rarely happens)

:wacko: One pick doesn't force you to hit on all others.

I'm all for getting one of the top 5 QB's on draft day....as long as I can wait till say round 4-5 at the earliest

prolly ain't gonna happen then, and clearly not for the top 3 or 4... maybe the 5th ranked QB.

It all depends on the scoring system.

well, I drafted Brees in the 2nd this year and that has panned out well so far....:crossesfingers:...on top of that I nabbed Moss late in the 1st....

Moss

Brees

Gates

Bush

Rice

P Thomas

L Moore

it's a heavy PPR league that favors RB's who catch...Rice has 361 pts and is the only RB behind CJ....

but if I were to start a draft today, I'd rank my top 10 overall picks (for my league anyways) like this...

1. CJ

2. AD

3. MJD

4. Rice

5. AJ

6. Wayne

7. Gore

8. Fitz

9. R Moss

10. Welker

after putting that down....it doesn't feel right, but there's a lot of RB's that I would wait on to draft due to value at each position, plus I might even consider Rodgers or Brees in there...

There's such a big drop after the top 4 RB's, IMO, that I see nothing wrong with the likes of Manning or Brees as first round picks. I probably wouldn't take Rodgers or Brady until the 2nd at the earliest. IMO, it really depends on the difficulty level of the league, as well as your fantasy acumen. If you feel like you're good enough to deal with the pitfalls of taking a QB in round 1 or 2 then I say do it. You only start 1, but they score the most fantasy pts week to week by far.

I've always been a proponent of the stud QB. You have to have one. If you are really sure you can get one late, go ahead and try, but I don't have the balls for it. It just seemed like over the past ten years, the team that had Peyton Manning was always in contention come playoff time. If your QB underperforms, you're done. Period.

1st pick I'd go CJ. Just too much to pass up at this point.

2nd I'd go AD

3rd I'd go DeAnglo

After that I start to get in to the Brees/Moss/Wayne mode.

DeAngleo 3rd? As far as talent goes, I think that's about right, but MJD and Rice's situations are far better.