[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yahoo Playoff Format is crap

delusions of grandeur

If FF playoffs are supposed to go like NFL playoffs, then the highest seed should always be playing the lowest possible seed, and not just in the first round, right?

Well, as I finally noticed this year, this is not the case with Yahoo. It would work out no different if all of the higher seeds were to win every round, but here's what happened last year, which I now realize had an enormous effect on the league winner:

Round 1:

1 vs 8

4 vs 5

3 vs 6

2 vs 7

Round 2:

> 8 vs 5

> 6 vs. 2

Final:

> 8 vs 6 = 8

Okay it's still amazing that the 8th seed dominated, but he should have had to play 2nd place in the semifinal round though, which he would have lost, and we would have had a different champion all-together. This year, I go in as the 7th seed, and this might actually help my cause, but this format still seems like some BS March Madness format. Low seed should play the top seed always, even if we have 2 extra playoff spots, right?

Did I miss a setting that can change this with Yahoo, or is this one more reason why we need to change to MFL or something like that?

Edited by delusions of granduer

Our yahoo is top 6 make playoffs in our 12 team league. 1 and 2 seeds have 1st week bye while 4 & 5 and 3 & 6 seeds play to advance.

I like it think.gif

i won this past week being 5th seed too sneaky.gif

Right, but my question is, if the 6th seed wins, does he play the 1 seed (like he should be), or is he in the 2nd seed's bracket like mine?

I agree - it is a true bracket in Yahoo and not the way many fantasy leagues are - including mine. Not only that, but I want to set up the schedule as the eliminated teams are playing for draft picks and I can't even schedule them. So I will have to put up the schedule on the posts and then update everything on the posts. Crappy! I wrote their support and they "will consider my suggestion next year"... Thanks for all the help...

I understand that they are free - and that is the main reason I went away from MFL for our small league this year - but there is no reason I can't schedule games in the playoffs. This is an obvious need!

I always say to myself ,"well, what do you expect for nothing?"

I've always hated that about Yahoo, but i learned to accept it. They have added features every year, so hopefully someday, they'll perfect it.

Heck, there was free statracker, so i saved $10.

I won't take my league off of Yahoo since it has our records going back 9 years, which i really like.

Once the playoff bracket is made you cant switch teams around in the bracket because a lower seed wins, that would be stupid.

But what I'm saying, and I believe others are also, is that my league does not have a bracket - and the matchups for the playoffs change every week. My league rules specifically state that the top seeds always play the lowest seeds. It is an advantage that the #1 seed has - he always plays the lowest seed. If the 8 pulls off the upset and beats the 1 for example - he doesn't get the 5 next week - he gets another tough team in the 2 seed.

Once the playoff bracket is made you cant switch teams around in the bracket because a lower seed wins, that would be stupid.
+1 What type of bush league would have such a system where the highest seed plays the lowest seed and bracket reseeding. There's no way and respectable sport or league would ever have such a playoff system. :wacko:

+1 What type of bush league would have such a system where the highest seed plays the lowest seed and bracket reseeding. There's no way and respectable sport or league would ever have such a playoff system. :wacko:

The NFL does it that way.

Your commish in the Yahoo league had multiple options on how to set up playoff format. The one he chose sucks ass. Blame your Commish. Here's what my 12 team league ($2,400 in prize money) decided to do. Our goal was to keep as many teams involved in weeks 15 and 16 as we could because ending one's fantasy season after week 14 is just sad. But, we did not want to give 6th, 7th and 8th place teams the chance for the big money based on their mediocre to poor regular season performance. So we are using 2 separate brackets of 4 teams each in the playoffs: the "Championship" bracket among the top 4 regular season finishers (carving up $2,200 of the $2,400 prize money among them) and the "Consolation" bracket to be played among the 5th-8th place teams who play for the $200 "consolation" or 5th place prize. This keeps 8 out of 12 teams active and participatory during the playoffs while only allowing the top 4 teams to get the big prizes. This is beter than having a 6 team playoff because there are no dreadful bye weeks to deal with.