[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Company fires employees over fantasy football

peepinmofo

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,208825

If you happen to be reading this sentence while sitting in your cubicle at Fidelity Investments, then you'd better stop. Immediately. We cannot guarantee your safety. You're only one click away from creating a fantasy league, and that would be a serious violation of company policy. In fact, it's a fireable offense.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Fidelity recently axed four league commissioners in the Fantasy Purge of '09.

Cameron Pettigrew, who worked as a "relationship manager in a private client group" (which sounds a lot like the job description of a fantasy commish), was among those terminated:

"Firing a guy for being in a $20 fantasy league? Let’s be honest, that’s a complete overreaction," said Pettigrew, who lives in Grapevine and has an MBA from the University of Texas at Arlington. "In this economic time, especially. To fire people over something like this, it’s just cold."

That does seem cold. But multi-billion-dollar financial services corporations are not generally known for their warmth. Apparently there are anti-gambling rules in place at Fidelity. (Midcap funds, heck yeah! Football leagues, no).

Said Fidelity spokesman Vin Loporchio: "We have clear policies that relate to gambling. Participation in any form of gambling through the use of Fidelity time or equipment or any other company resource is prohibited. … We want our employees to be focused on our customers and clients."

They react to allegations of fantasy involvement swiftly, it seems.

[Pettigrew] said he never sent any fantasy football emails at work or using his work email address. But the investigators found two instant messages that had fantasy football-related material.

"One of my buddies sent me something about how bad Trent Edwards(notes) was playing or something like that," Pettigrew said. "So they called me in and talked to me for about 90 minutes on everything I ever knew about fantasy football."

Honestly, you can't fault his buddy's analytical talent. Edwards really was a disaster. If this blog contributed in any way to misplaced enthusiasm for any Buffalo Bills – which in turn led to ill-advised IMs, which resulted in firings – please accept our sincere apologies.

We would also like to point out – in our professional capacity as fantasy gurus, not as legal advisors – that laws have been passed which define the terms "bet" and "wager," and fantasy participation has been excluded. Here's a link to a million-word legal definition. Whatever else he did, Pettigrew wasn't gambling. Back off, company spokesman.

If Pettigrew actually owned Trent Edwards, then he's suffered enough. Someone please hire the man.

I say we see who the guy had on his team. Is he picking up the latest WW every week, or is he ahead of the game? Could provide us insight on how loosey goosey Fidelity is with investing money.

I actually worked at Edward Jones here in STL many years ago. Saw many people get fired for inappropriate emails being sent around. But this seems a little overboard. JMO.

I'm very fortunate that my boss is in 4 leagues with me :wacko:

He even went as far as installing a big screen in our conference room and it is always tuned to the NFL channel

is your company hiring...i'm willing to relocate. :D

Edited by buddahj

The crux of the problem is not about misusing company time or resources, it is that the company thinks it is gambling and does not want employees involved in it. Of course there are probably office pools and the like anyway.

The article fails to mention that Fidelity was burned early in this decade by a gifting scandal where employees of Fidelity would be given tickets to sporting events, expensive wines and other perks (boats and hoes...no lie) in return for buying their stock. The SEC fined them millions.

I can guarantee you every single employee above the guy that collects the trash at night knows about this and knows that Fidelity does not want another SEC investigation on any improprieties, including illegal gambling. And yes, fantasy football is viewed as a form of gambling by many people.

On a side note, Fidelity has since changed its legal structure to become an LLC, which shields it's owners from any personal liabilities. But I can guarantee you that in response to the SEC investigation, Fidelity locked their policy down tight. These morans playing ff on company time never stood a chance...and should've known better.

The article fails to mention that Fidelity was burned early in this decade by a gifting scandal where employees of Fidelity would be given tickets to sporting events, expensive wines and other perks (boats and hoes...no lie) in return for buying their stock. The SEC fined them millions.

I can guarantee you every single employee above the guy that collects the trash at night knows about this and knows that Fidelity does not want another SEC investigation on any improprieties, including illegal gambling. And yes, fantasy football is viewed as a form of gambling by many people.

On a side note, Fidelity has since changed its legal structure to become an LLC, which shields it's owners from any personal liabilities. But I can guarantee you that in response to the SEC investigation, Fidelity locked their policy down tight. These morans playing ff on company time never stood a chance...and should've known better.

:wacko:

Just trying to say.......way to in depth for this site, I think you put half the forum to sleep with that :wacko: No offense, I am sure that it was interesting to someone....its cool!!!

I'll try to keep it simple for you next time.

Will an umarked white van with a sign of "free ice cream through this hole" be simple enough for you?

I'll try to keep it simple for you next time.

Will an umarked white van with a sign of "free ice cream through this hole" be simple enough for you?

He he, just trying to have a little fun with you......our humor is to much the same......we could do this for days........Take it easy man