[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Henry of Bengals passed away in car accident...

I stand corrected and apologize. I don't think Henry put himself in a position that led to his death necassarily (sp?).

You don't? Really?

The guy jumped into the back of a moving, or soon to be moving, pickup truck. You wouldn't tolerate that behavior from a kid, let alone a grown man with three kids.

Now it appears that he may have threatened to jump out of it:

Police: Witness Who Said Chris Henry Threatened To Jump Is Credible

CINCINNATI --

Police have interviewed a man who claimed that Chris Henry threatened to jump from a truck driven by his fiancée before the incident that killed the Bengals wide receiver.

Henry died Thursday morning at 6:36 a.m. from injuries he suffered when he fell from the pickup truck Wednesday afternoon. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have said that Henry and his fiancée Loleini Tonga were arguing when he jumped in the back of her pickup truck and she sped off.

Lee Hardy said he was trimming a tree in his yard when he saw the pickup truck approach.

Hardy said the pickup truck was going "very fast" before it came to a quick stop at an intersection.

"And that's when I heard him yelling at her that he wanted to talk," Hardy said. "'We need to talk, we need to talk.'" Hardy said the woman inside was saying, "No, I don't want to talk. Get off the truck. Get out of the truck."

As the truck pulled away, Hardy said he heard Henry say "If you take off, I'm going to jump out and kill myself."

Hardy said the truck disappeared from view and he went back to work on the tree. He said in the distance he heard the truck stop quickly, but thought nothing of it until police cars began arriving from both directions.

WCNC in Charlotte confirmed that police interviewed Hardy Thursday evening as part of their investigation. Officers told WCNC that they found Hardy's story credible and consistent with other facts they had gathered during their investigation.

Police released two calls to 911 that were received before and after the incident.

The first call came in just after 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, from a woman who said she was following a yellow truck with a man in the bed.

"Got a black man on it with no shirt on, got his arm in a cast, he’s beating on the back of this truck window," the woman told dispatchers. "I don’t know if he’s trying to break in or something, just looks crazy."

The woman followed the pickup for a short distance, but did not follow when it turned onto another road.

Three minutes later, a man called 911 to say that there was a man lying in the road not moving.

"He looks dead. There's no movement," he said. "He's laying in the road. I have no idea what happened; we just pulled up here."

When the man was asked if the injured man was awake, he said "He's definitely unconscious. He's not awake."

Police spokeswoman Rosalyn Harrington said homicide detectives have been assigned to the case but had no further information. Harrington would not say if Tonga was present at the scene when police arrived.

Police said Tonga was cooperating with investigators and no charges had been filed against her.

Authorities have not announced the cause of death. Mecklenburg County medical examiner investigator Carol Cormier said they were expecting to receive the body later Thursday.

Henry and Tonga were planning to wed in March. The couple was raising three children.

It is a tragic death. But its not like he had a stroke on the football field or got struck by lightning. It appears that he was a dumbass. Or, if you think that dumbass is too harsh, he was highly irresponsible. This doesn't change because he died.

In any event, everybody reacts to these things differently. Some of you people appear to be greatly affected by it. Others are less affected. Some may even be joking about it. There is no right or wrong way to handle that, particularly on a ff message board where it appears that no one knew Henry or his family.

Why should any of those reactions bother anyone else?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a history of trouble. He and his fiancee get into a fight. She tries to get away and he jumps into the back of her truck. He tries to break through the glass telling her to stop or he will kill himself. He then does. I'm thinking that woman may have saved her own life by not stopping.

Hate to see talent wasted but I'm not honoring this guy.

Heard about this before going to lunch and tailgating for the Jags-Colts game. My heart goes out to the families involved. What's tragic is the fact that this could have been avoided. And when kids(who will never see their daddy again) are involved, it's an even greater tragedy. A shame that CH was putting his life back together and this happens. He was growing up. Sad story indeed and I can't help but think about those kids and what becomes of them. Thoughts and prayers to CH's family and to the entire Bengal nation.

Edited by jaxfactor

I dont understand this "+ a great big 1 "

isnt saying that Chris Henry put himself in the position that led to his death a bit judgemental and sort of being on a high horse ? i certainly think so

actually i think most of what pirate posted was more judgemental than anything else i read in this post ...

so riding in the back of a speeding pickup truck is safe?

It is a tragic death. But its not like he had a stroke on the football field or got struck by lightning. It appears that he was a dumbass. Or, if you think that dumbass is too harsh, he was highly irresponsible. This doesn't change because he died.

He had a history of trouble. He and his fiancee get into a fight. She tries to get away and he jumps into the back of her truck. He tries to break through the glass telling her to stop or he will kill himself. He then does. I'm thinking that woman may have saved her own life by not stopping.

Hate to see talent wasted but I'm not honoring this guy.

If he's insensitive, you're over-emotional. I'm getting annoyed that anytime an athlete passes on he some how becomes a saint.

Wow a few actually get it.

OOPS I MEAN.........racists. pricks. blah blah blah.

strictly from a football/fantasy football perspective, i drafted Henry his first year, and a couple times after that including this year, in my dynasty league after watching him at WV. he had great talent. unfotunately, he never pulled his life together to be able to show it consistently on the field. he should've been and could've been as good as Chad for the Bengals.

off the filed, my guess is he was immature and irresponsible. can't say i believe it when i hear he was turning his life around. the actions that led to his premature death would seem to indicate this. i think its just a case of teammates/coaches not wanting to disrespect a deceased friend/player.

RIP.