[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Simple, healthy and turned out quite tasty

Big Country

So, trying to get back to being a bit more healthy in my eating after the holidays. Been a real bad 4-5 weeks between family functions, work parties, etc. since Thanksgiving, that I basically gained back over half of the weight I had lost over the first 10 months of the year.

had a little ground turkey in the fridge I had to use, so decided to make a very simple turkey chili. The pantry was bare, so I didn't add in much that I would do if making it planned and not on a whim (like onions, garlic and bell peppers), but, if your looking for something good for you that has enough taste and kick to warm you up, here goes.

In pan, brown a pound of ground turkey. Season as you like, I used ancho chili powder, cajun seasoning and a little cayenne pepper.

At same time, in a pot, cook brown rice (I happened to have a bag of frozen rice, so this was easy) in some chicken broth (can use water, but the broth adds more flavor). I also seasoned this with the same seasoning as I used on the turkey. (This is where I would have sweated the onion, garlic, peppers before adding the rice and broth to the pot)

Once turke is browned and cooked through, add it to the pot and mix with the rice. Add a can of black beans (do not drain the can, pour it all in). Mix and let simmer until the broth is incorporated into the mixture, so it is not soup like.

Eat and enjoy. I'm having some for lunch today.

Like I said, came out pretty darn good for something I threw together on a whim.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much have to use ground turkey in my chili because Ms Cid don't eat red meat. It is a fine substitute but you do lose a bit of richness in the flavor.

one thing Ma always put in chili that i thought was weird or i'd take out when i was a kid was celery....now i can't go without it along with onions & greeen pepper...anybody else used ta celery in chili?...i gotta run this turkey deal by the boss...she's healthy but when it comes ta her chili she may put the cabosch to it :wacko: